Al Pacino . . hits and misses (?)

I'll start with a miss. Scarface. So crucify me. Think Brian De Palma is overrated as a director to boot. Did De Palma do Carlito's Way? I liked it but the shoot out in the train station was a rethread of a rethread.
    designer/manufacturer of custom made time and phase correcting real wool surrounds

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Scarface as a miss? Really? I'm surprised to hear that. I saw Scarface in the theatre when it came out and haven't seen it since. My husband has never seen it. I keep suggesting that we rent it, but we haven't gotten around to it yet. Now you've made me more curious than ever to see it again.

I really liked Pacino in Donnie Brasco. That was just a great movie all around, but Pacino's performance in that really made the movie for me. I just love that last scene with him when he knows that he's gonna get whacked and he's so damn calm about it.

"And listen to me, if Donnie calls... , tell him... if it was gonna be anyone, I'm glad it was him. All right?"

Pacino....

THE GODFATHER -hit.
    THE GODFATHER PART II - hit
    THE GODFATHER PART III - miss
    SERPICO -hit
    DOG DAY AFTERNOON - hit
    SCARFACE - hit
    SEA OF LOVE -miss
    DICK TRACY miss
    SCENT OF A WOMAN - miss
    FRANKIE AND JOHNNY - hit
    GLENGARRY GLEN ROSS - hit
    CARLITO'S WAY - hit
    HEAT - hit
    DONNIE BRASCO - hit
    THE DEVIL'S ADVOCATE - miss
    THE INSIDER - hit
    ANY GIVEN SUNDAY - both
    INSOMNIA - miss
    SIMONE - major miss
    THE RECRUIT - miss
    PEOPLE I KNOW - miss
    GIGLI- another major miss
    TWO FOR THE MONEY - another miss

Forever Autumn- Suddenly, I feel compelled to apologize for my boorish behavior. How nice it is to have a female in this hobby. There are too few of you. I shalt divert this thread other than to say I want to know EVERYTHING ABOUT YOU. I expect there is a way for me to view your posts herein and I’m there. One of my heroes (heroines) in my musical education was a woman. She taught me about passion in art. And the difference a good system can make. She willed to me her record collection which I still own.

You can see from Peruvian’s reply that he has seen a lot of Al’s work. I suspect many others have, too. Not hard to do. He first got my attention in Panic in Needle Park. The studios’ attention, too, it would seem. Of his white collar work, I think the most I like is City of New York and The Outsider (Outsider? Geez, jim, that's meant to say Insider). For me, his finest hour, however, was/is Heat, Godfather 1 and 2, not withstanding. He chewed it up. He was memorable, too, in Brasco.

I think I may have just let the air out of this thread unless there are some bodacious mofo’s (just a figure of speech, Autumn) out there with some attitude. I think Scarface was laughable. Devil's Advocate, too. Dumb.
    Last edited by jim goulding; 10-19-2007 at 05:02 AM.
    designer/manufacturer of custom made time and phase correcting real wool surrounds

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jim goulding
    Forever Autumn- Suddenly, I feel compelled to apologize for my boorish behavior. How nice it is to have a female in this hobby. There are too few of you. I shalt divert this thread other than to say I want to know EVERYTHING ABOUT YOU. I expect there is a way for me to view your posts herein and I’m there. One of my heroes (heroines) in my musical education was a woman. She taught me about passion in art. And the difference a good system can make. She willed to me her record collection which I still own.

You can see from Peruvian’s reply that he has seen a lot of Al’s work. I suspect many others have, too. Not hard to do. He first got my attention in Panic in Needle Park. The studios’ attention, too, it would seem. Of his white collar work, I think the most I like is City of New York and The Outsider. For me, his finest hour, however, was/is Heat, Godfather 1 and 2, not withstanding. He chewed it up. He was memorable, too, in Brasco.

I think I may have just let the air out of this thread unless there are some bodacious mofo’s (just a figure of speech, Autumn) out there with some attitude. I think Scarface was laughable.
    Hey Jim, I hadn't noticed any boorish behavior from you. So...no apology needed. If I find something really offensive, you'll know. Typically, if there is something about a thread that doesn't appeal to my feminine senses, I'll just stop viewing that thread. But I don't recall that happening because of anything you've said or done.

As for women in this hobby, you're right, there aren't many. There are three that I know of on this board, but the other two come and go and you'll likely only see them on the Rave Recs forum which is where I mostly spend my time as well. To make me even more of a rarity, you'll find that much of my musical tendencies are metal and/or prog. The great thing about being a woman at a metal concert is that there's never a line-up for the bathroom!

Good luck learning EVERYTHING ABOUT me. Just don't get creepy over it. Okay?

Not to worry . . creepy ain't in me. Metal? If you're refering to 80's hair bands I hate that s***. I invite you to see Penelope Sphreeris' (spelling?) documentary "The Decline of Western Civilisation, part II, If, on the other hand, you're refering to Sonic Youth, we can hang. Come back. Progressive, that's different, and where it's happenin in rock for me altho I could use some direction.

what happened...

....to this thread?

JSE
    Never been much of a Pacino fan. I liked him ok in the Godfather's and maybe Serpico but that's about it. I think he is an "over-actor" in most of his films. Much like that guy David Caruso (sp?). Pacino just tends to irritate me whenever I watch one of his films. Don't get me wrong, he has had some great movies, I just have never understood why he is considered one of the greats.

Oh and Scarface? The movie sucked! It just been elevated to "cult status" over the years because at the time it was pretty brutal and ruthless and now by Hip Hop Culture.

JSE
    Last edited by JSE; 10-18-2007 at 03:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JSE
    Never been much of a Pacino fan. I liked him ok in the Godfather's and maybe Serpico but that's about it. I think he is an "over-actor" in most of his films. Much like that guy David Caruso (sp?). Pacino just tends to irritate me whenever I watch one of his films. Don't get me wrong, he has had made great movies, I just have never understood why he is considered one of the greats.

Oh and Scarface? The movie sucked! It just been elevated to "cult status" over the years because at the time it was pretty brutal and ruthless and now by Hip Hop Culture.

JSE
    I don't know if I would liken Al Pacino to David Caruso, they aren't even in the same ballfield, not even close. I understand what you are saying about 'over-acting' or going over the top, but most of his roles are like that as well. I am amazed at how many people dislike SCARFACE here. I agree that the film has become a Gangsta' centerpiece that thugs idolize, but if you watch the film through fresh eyes, it's still flawed, but has memorable moments and is nothing more than the rise and fall of a drug lord. Unfortunately DVD has been harsh to this film and it would be great to actually see a good transfer for this film. The soundtrack by Georgio Moroder is memorable as well and sets the tone for the film. I think Pacino performed the Cuban role quite well in fact some people think that he is Cuban.

I also wouldn't put Pacino in the sphere of "Great" either, but he is well above average for sure. He just needs to start picking better roles in this late stage of his career.

Hear! Hear! Shout out to JSE. In the roles I mentioned, however, I think he shows some self restraint. In Heat, passion is a virtue, and he's convincingly tender in two scenes I can think of. Actually, I do consider him a great actor.

Thread Information