Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Smile Classic Cartoons Characters :Favorite Top Three

I think most of us grew up watching classics cartoons on TV after school or on Saturday mornings. So this might be a walk down memory lane. So what are your favorites.

May favorites top three is:

Tom and Jerry: Some folks have labeled these cartoons as too violent, but it is all done in good humor. And some of cartoons received an Oscar for Best Short Subject category.

Bugs Bunny: Most recognizable characters in the world is also the coolest. His feud with Elmer Fudd, Yosemite Sam and Donald Duck are most memorable.

Popeye: Couldn’t decide between Popeye and Poky Pig, but the former won because of string of odd characters such as Bluto, Olive Oyl, hamburger lover Wellington Wimpy and his father Pappy.

can't argue...

Smokey,

Those are pretty much my top picks as well, which is interesting because Looney Toones are across to many generations that it has to be some sort of record. I mean, I think most people alive today remember growing up watching Merry Melodies...right? I loved Tom and Jerry when I grew up as well and used to watch them in the morning with my father, who was laid off from his job at the time. We never laughed so hard at those things! Popeye I don't remember quite as well watching, but here are some other favorites of mine...

MR. MAGOO - oh man...I laugh and I laugh and I laugh.

CHILLY WILLY THE PENGUIN - also quite funny!

THE PINK PANTHER - my grandfather was a very quiet man, but when we watched this together he could cry laughing.

SCOOBY DOO - zany and crazy this lovable dog made a huge impression on my life as a kid.

The rest of my childhood consisted of the following as well: The Smurfs, Transformers, He-Man, and some G.I. Joe.

There were two cartoons that I never really liked though: The Jetsons and The Flintstones.

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    If I were to rank my top 3 pre-1970's they would be

1. Roadrunner
    2. Tom and Jerry
    3. Bugs Bunny

After the 70's I would replace Bugs bunny with either the Ant and the Aardvaark (?) a spin off of the Pink Panther or the Pink Panther.

Sorry I did not include the cool graphics like the others.......

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications

It's all about the Donald....

I love watching how Donald Duck can go from having a good day to a complete rampage (awooo) just because a few chipmunks are clogging his gutters...Donald rules!

It's always hard to argue against Bugs Bunny - Kill the Wabbit - priceless

I'm also a huge fan of the old Mighty Mouse series - Heeeerreee I come to save the daaaaayyy!!!

They just don't make'em like they used to...

Suspended
    Number one for me would be Scoobie Doo. I do like the Flintstones. Yogi Bear, and anyone remember Klon dyke Cat, or, Top Cat. Of course, these are in addition to some of the greats already mentioned.

I know it's not a classic yet but Sponge Bob will be.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    For me, Pink Panther has always topped the charts. So much so that I have a limited edition cell drawing signed by Fritz Freling hanging in my bedroom.

Other faves included Hong Kong Fuey, a kung fu fighting superhero dog. And Yogi Bear.

Of course every Saturday afternoon at 4:00 I always watched the Bugs Bunny/Road Runner Hour.

Overture, curtains, lights,
    this is it, the night of nights.
    No more rehearsing and nursing a part
    we know every part by heart

Overture, curtains, lights,
    this is it, you’ll hit the heights.
    And oh what heights we’ll hit
    on with the show this is it

Thanks guys/gals for memories.

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    I love watching how Donald Duck can go from having a good day to a complete rampage (awooo) just because a few chipmunks are clogging his gutters...Donald rules!
    Mental image of Donald Duck getting frustrated always crack me up. Especially whe she get fed up with the Bugs Bunny.

Also like Pink Panther and Roadrunner. But I wished for once, the Coyote hunts don't end in disaster and get better of Roadrunner

Suspended
    Oh, I remember Hong Kong Fuey. What about Super Chicken?

I also like Underdog and Tennessee Tuxedo. Anybody watch Bullwinkle and all the related cartoons that came on with him? Isn't that where Dudley Duright appeared?

Good thread.

My faves.

Daffy Duck - The OLD Daffy, who used to f**k people up. The little black duck that was more Marx Brother than Warner Brother. Amazing stuff.

Buggs Bunny - My fave non-duck. Spending hours watching him get the best of Buzzards, Wolves etc... Classics too many to mention. I also liked seeing him get beat like in the one with the Gremlin. Doesn't get any better.

AstroBoy - First Japanese cartoon shown in the States, ground breaking, Robots with souls.

Da Worfster

One more word...

I'm sorry but I can't let this pass. People here know me and can tell you that I never ever play "the race" card unless it's something I simply can't ignore. I can't pass up this opportunity to tell some folks who might not know but "Hong Kong Fooey" was/is without a doubt the most racist and offensive cartoon ever created.

The character, voiced by a black man (Scatman Curruthers I believe) is the lowly, slovenly Janitor who's other personae is a bumbling, inept crime fighter. And if making him the janitor (complete with sideways cap, slouching posture and big feet) isn't bad enough, he's NOT EVEN HUMAN!!! HE'S A F***KIN DOG!!!!! "Well he is the hero" you might be tempted to say. But.....

He never gets the villain, his CAT saves the day and in the end it all works out for the best IN SPITE of his ineptness... And we haven't even begun to discuss the mockery this toon makes of revered and respected ancient chinese fighting arts. Geeze Louise and the one female on the toon talks like an airhead and wears a skirt just this side of a belt.

Very little makes me seethe but this chit makes me boil. This toon is so vile, so racist so sexist and ignorant that I blocked the HB channel on my set. I won't allow that crap in my house. Sorry folks I didn't mean to blow my top but I had too.

Da Worfster
    Last edited by Worf101; 06-04-2007 at 04:59 AM.

My first thought was of Bugs, Daffy and Wile-E-Coyote. But with newcomers like Bart and Homer, it's hard to say that the ol' standbys are still "the best." I also remember a little farther back to a silly guy named Top Cat. That cat was cool! Does anyone still remember Kimba? The little white lion. Thems were the days. Dick Dastardly was a great "bad guy". Loved his dog's snicker. Still laugh like that myself at times. How about Peter Potomus' patented hurricane holler? And no talk of cartoons should leave out Magilla Gorilla and the little girl who wanted to buy him for .02, Oh Geeeeee. Or Ricochet Rabbit and Deputy Droop-along. Speedy Gonzales, Archie, the list goes on and on. Who can pick just three?
    I think I'm seeing were my focus went back then.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    I'm sorry but I can't let this pass. People here know me and can tell you that I never ever play "the race" card unless it's something I simply can't ignore. I can't pass up this opportunity to tell some folks who might not know but "Hong Kong Fooey" was/is without a doubt the most racist and offensive cartoon ever created.

The character, voiced by a black man (Scatman Curruthers I believe) is the lowly, slovenly Janitor who's other personae is a bumbling, inept crime fighter. And if making him the janitor (complete with sideways cap, slouching posture and big feet) isn't bad enough, he's NOT EVEN HUMAN!!! HE'S A F***KIN DOG!!!!! "Well he is the hero" you might be tempted to say. But.....

He never gets the villain, his CAT saves the day and in the end it all works out for the best IN SPITE of his ineptness... And we haven't even begun to discuss the mockery this toon makes of revered and respected ancient chinese fighting arts. Geeze Louise and the one female on the toon talks like an airhead and wears a skirt just this side of a belt.

Very little makes me seethe but this chit makes me boil. This toon is so vile, so racist so sexist and ignorant that I blocked the HB channel on my set. I won't allow that crap in my house. Sorry folks I didn't mean to blow my top but I had too.

Da Worfster
    Wow Worf,

I never knew most of this about Hung Fooey. I guess maybe because I never watched it much. I didn't get it.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Suspended

I hate meeses to peeces!

Two cartoon characters I don't think have been mentioned yet: Jinx the cat and Snaggletooth, right? I'm pretty sure Jinx was the first cartoon character that made me laugh when I was around 9 or 10 back in the early 60's. Snaggletooth with his... exit, stage left announcement came across as snobbish (even though I had no idea what a snob was anyway, but...), but my definite favorites and the ones I still try to catch once-in-a-while are Bugs and Road Runner, Popeye, and Mighty Mouse.

Some others: Hillbilly Bears, George of the Jungle, and that show GMichael mentioned with Dick Dastardly and muttly; it was about a cross-country race but I can't think of the name of it. Just about all of the Fractured Fairy tales characters from the Rocky & Bullwinkle show: Mr. Peabody and Sherman (remember the Way-back machine?), Boris Badernouf(sp?) and his wife (can't remember her name either).

Gawd I feel so old!

Quote Originally Posted by Worf

Although not cartoon characters, you probably wouldn't like the Three Stooges too much either. Their skits included many parodies of the black man back in the 40's. Another aspect of our culture I wasn't tuned in to back in the 60's. I liked them because of their slapstick comedy routines.

P.S. Someone please send me a notice when Magoo's Christmas Carol is going to be shown next winter. I always seem to miss it when Christmas rolls around.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar

Da Worfster
    Gee Worf, I had no idea. To be honest, I don't remember much about the cartoon now. I just remember that when I was eight I thought it was hilarious. I wonder if I'd find it offensive if I were to watch it now?

On a slightly different note, there's a guy in our city who is a serious cartoon buff. He has a cartoon collection that is unbelievable, including many cartoons that have been banned and will never be seen on any commercial media ever again. He runs a couple of cartoon festivals every year. I haven't been for many, many years, but the last one that I went to had a cartoon from the 1940's in which Daffy Duck plays Adolph Hitler. Talk about offensive! Yet it was fascinating to see the kinds of stories that were being created in cartoon form. Daffy Duck and Bugs Bunny were much more political than Warner Brothers would have you believe.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Gee Worf, I had no idea. To be honest, I don't remember much about the cartoon now. I just remember that when I was eight I thought it was hilarious. I wonder if I'd find it offensive if I were to watch it now?

On a slightly different note, there's a guy in our city who is a serious cartoon buff. He has a cartoon collection that is unbelievable, including many cartoons that have been banned and will never be seen on any commercial media ever again. He runs a couple of cartoon festivals every year. I haven't been for many, many years, but the last one that I went to had a cartoon from the 1940's in which Daffy Duck plays Adolph Hitler. Talk about offensive! Yet it was fascinating to see the kinds of stories that were being created in cartoon form. Daffy Duck and Bugs Bunny were much more political than Warner Brothers would have you believe.
    They reflect the times in which they were created. Have you ever gone back and watched the Honeymooners (or the Flintstones, since this is a cartoon thread) They are very sexist by today's standards.

JSE
    1. Cartman of course!
    2. Donald Duck
    3. Sylvester & Tweety and Granny.

Suspended
    I respect your views Worf. But really it's those stereotypes that makes that type of comedy funny whether TV programs, cartoons or stand up, the ability to make fun of ourselves. I wonder if what you said was their real intension? If so, why would a black man be willing to do the voice. I also understand what one person may find funny, is not to another, or even offensive. When I watch stand up, usually a black comedian will be talking about black people for at least part of their routine. The same with a comedian who is fat, hence Lewy Anderson, Oriental or White. I sure don't want the Red Neck comedy tour to represent all White folks. What about Mr. Magoo, I'm sure partially sighted people don't want you to think they act like that.

What is your take on Chep from South Park?

Good thread!

1) Bugs
    2) Sylvester (the episode where Elmer and he stay the night in a creepy old house where mice keep trying to kill Elmer is one of my all time faves.)
    3) Popeye

Honestly, for me it's Bug and then everyone else. Long live the king!

Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    Good thread!

1) Bugs
    2) Sylvester (the episode where Elmer and he stay the night in a creepy old house where mice keep trying to kill Elmer is one of my all time faves.)
    3) Popeye

Honestly, for me it's Bug and then everyone else. Long live the king!
    Duck season.
    Wrabbit season.
    Duck season.
    Wrabbit season
    Rabbit season.
    Duck season, FIRE!

Would you like him to shoot you now, or wait till you get home?
    Oh no! You won't get me this time. Take me home first.

Alamo...

My favorite Bugs episode is the one with Yosemite Sam and him firing canons at each other in an Alamo setting. Classic!

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    They reflect the times in which they were created. Have you ever gone back and watched the Honeymooners (or the Flintstones, since this is a cartoon thread) They are very sexist by today's standards.

I agree. They probably were not considered racist in their time frame.

Even Tom and Jerry cartoons is not immune form accusation of being racist. On Tom and Jerry Spotlight collection DVDs, Whoopi Goldberg appears at the beginning of each disc with a short statement:”Some of the cartoons here reflect prejudices that were common in American society, especially when it came to racial and ethnic groups.”

She is referring to controversial large black maid lady as Mammy Two-Shoes (her face is never shown) who speaks with an exaggerated Southern black accent.
    Last edited by Smokey; 06-04-2007 at 05:15 PM.

I have to preface my choices by indicating that I am a huge fan of Tex Avery, IMO the greatest animation director of all time. He worked at Warner and then MGM, and played a huge role in establishing the whacked out comedic direction that both of those studios' animation departments would take.

At Warner, he arguably established the blueprint for the Bugs Bunny character, having directed the character's early cartoons (the most famous one being Tortoise Beats Hare). Later directors at Warner would soften up the rough edges, but retain the wiseass character.

But, MGM was really where Avery shined. He took the comedic timing, pacing, style, and yes violence to new levels. Unlike fellow MGM directors William Hanna and Joseph Barbera, who only worked on the Tom and Jerry cartoons, Tex Avery was constantly creating new characters and scenarios. This created a wild universe of different plotlines and characters, but also meant that not too many distinct characters would be associated with Avery, though he did create Droopy (and later on Chilly Willy, and Kwicky Koala among others) But, two of the characters that stood out for me were his classic protagonists Wolf and Red.

1. Red

It took me up to puberty before I figured out why cartoon shorts like Red Hot Riding Hood, Swing Shift Cinderella, and Wild and Woolfy caused near-riots overseas when shown to American servicemen during WWII! Very racy for its time (especially the subplots involving Red's nympho grandma), but nonetheless these shorts were routinely shown during afterschool TV cartoon blocks. The animators spent weeks studying and drawing strippers before creating the Red character. She would also serve as the inspiration for Jessica Rabbit.

2. Wolf

The classic foil for Red. He's pretty much all testosterone and all id.

3. Bugs Bunny

As an overall body of work, I don't think any other classic cartoon character compares. Even though Warner would later recycle a lot of their gags (something Tex Avery tried to avoid), no other cartoon character combines this kind of iconic status with memorable cartoons (Mickey might be more of an icon, but how many of his cartoons do any of us remember, aside from maybe Steamboat Willie?).

Honorable Mentions (Non-Classic Era)

Ren Hoek

Greedy, vain, abusive, and obsessed with his pectoral muscles, Ren was an inspired cartoon creation, who along with partner Stimpy helped to usher in a new creative era of animation.

Kenny (South Park)

What a trooper! Gets killed every week and comes back for more! (and mutters all those things that would otherwise not get past the network censors)

Late add ...

Super Chicken

Jay Ward created a notable stable of crazy characters during the 60s such as Rocky & Bullwinkle, Mr. Peabody, Tom Slick, and George of the Jungle. But, it took Super Chicken to introduce me to the pervasive drug culture of the 60s! I mean, those animators HAD to be on something when they made this pitch.

A mild-mannered billionaire piece of poultry hangs around his penthouse coop with a lion for a sidekick who tools around in a letter sweater. And then he takes a hit of "Super Sauce" after which he flies into convulsions and wakes up thinking he's a superhero!

Sounds more like a doped up animator who thought he could fly after taking a PCP hit. But, gawd was this stuff funny! And like a lot of the other great Jay Ward cartoons, it got better as I got older.
    Last edited by Woochifer; 06-04-2007 at 05:46 PM.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Da Worfster
    If you choose to watch that cartoon with your brain clicked on, then I definitely agree that it was a pretty vile piece of work. But, that cartoon was just soooo patently STUPID that I just can't take it seriously at any level, no matter how offensive the stereotypes indeed are.

Also, in the context of that particular era, martial arts was the big thing in pop culture and everyone was racing to slap together anything and everything having to do with kung fu. I remember people of all races walking down the street with mandarin collar outfits, and the canvas peasant shoes featured in the Bruce Lee and Shaw Brothers movies.

Kung fu was everywhere, and unfortunately like so many things in pop culture, it became derivative and bastardized in short order as opportunists tried to capitalize on it. Hong Kong Phooey was just one of many examples. Around the time of that cartoon's debut, you also had "Kung Fu Fighting" hitting #1 on the pop chart, the debut of those Calgon "ancient Chinese secret" commercials (among other Asian-themed ads), a whole litany of poorly dubbed martial arts movies flooding into U.S. theaters, and the Kung Fu TV series, which actually rejected Bruce Lee to play the lead role in favor of David Carradine (which to me is more overtly racist than the cartoon).
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    Super Chicken

A mild-mannered billionaire piece of poultry hangs around his penthouse coop with a lion for a sidekick who tools around in a letter sweater. And then he takes a hit of "Super Sauce" after which he flies into convulsions and wakes up thinking he's a superhero!

Sounds more like a doped up animator who thought he could fly after taking a PCP hit.
    Wooch, please stop! I am dying laughing here

Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    I

1. Red

Is it me, or is red sporting a camel toe? I saw this cartoon years ago but never noticed that before.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information