Great Sci-Fi Movies of All time....

This list will include what are in my opinion the greatest contributions to the Science Fiction Genre through the medium of celluloid. They also happen to be some of my favorite films!

My list includes:

2001: A Space Odyssey
    Metropolis
    Blade Runner
    Alphaville
    Solaris (1972)
    The Terminator Series
    Planet of the Apes (1968)
    12 Monkeys
    The Time Machine (original)
    A Clockwork Orange
    Alien
    Fahrenheit 451
    Silent Running
    Star Wars Episode IV
    Tron
    Akira
    The Man Who Fell to Earth
    Soylent Green (yes, it's people!)
    Westworld
    They Live
    Starship Troopers
    THX-1138
    Invasion of the Body Snatchers (original)
    Day the Earth Stood Still
    Forbidden Planet

You show your age with that list.

Mine's a bit older:

1. "Metropolis" (1927) - Wow, what special effects from the silent era. Images stay with me still.

2. "The Shape of Things to Come" (1936) - Showed me that at it's best, Science Fiction encourages and allows us to see the world as we'd "like" it to be, not just as it is.

3. "The Day the Earth Stood Still" (1951) - The Red Scare, McCarthyism, HUAC, you name it, we had a lot to be scared of... and most of all we feared ourselves. Great cast.

4. "King Kong" (1933) - "Kong!!! The 8th Wonder of the World!!!!!" Need I say more?

5. "2001 A Space Odyssey" (1968) - Never seen anything like it before... The silence and cold of space so beautifully rendered.

6. "Them" (1954) - The first and best of the "giant mutated creature" movies made in the U.S. One of the great opening scenes in movie history.

7. "The Thing From Another World" (1951) - Howard Hawks creates a Speculative Fiction Masterpiece for the ages.

8. "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" (1977) - Wow the Aliens do land and they are kind and they really really like us!!! Well at least some of us.

9. "Star Wars" (1977) - A sea change in the way Sci Fi movies are made, seen and marketed.

10. "Alien/Aliens" (1979 & 1986) - You don't need massive budgets to make great Sci Fi.

That's just 10 off the top of my head....

Da Worfster

I wouldn't consider your list older...I have quite a few films that are older classics (5 or 6) to be exact. I am glad we have some similar titles ...I would agree with everything on your list with the exception of CLOSE ENCOUNTERS, but that's just my hatred mainly for Spielberg. I hadn't thought of KING KONG only because I more-or-less think of it as an Action film, but it could qualify certainly.

Good list so far.....

Here is mine.....

Road Warrier

Clockwork Orange

Star Trek II and III

Stars Wars V: Empire Strikes Back

Back to Future

Jurassic Park

The Thing (Carpenter remake).

Thread Information