Cool Big Truck Movies

There have been alot of movies made with big truck as the main theme, and IMO these are some of the better ones.

Not in any particulare order:

Sorcerer (1977): Roy Scheider carry nitroglycerin through miles of treasurous South America jungle in ancient trucks.

Smokey and the Bandit (1977): The Bandit is hired to run a tractor trailer full of beer over county lines in hot pursuit by a pesky sheriff.

Road Worrier (1981): The last scene with the tanker truck is probably the best chase scene in movie history.

Duel (1971): TV movie that put Steven Spielberg on the map. With Dennis Weaver.

Convoy (1978): Kris Kristofferson lead a truck convoy heading for Mexico. With Earnest Borgnine.

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Have not really thought of "Trucker Movies" as a genre per say but I do remember seeing "Duel". It was an ABC "Movie of the Week" back when networks actually produced shows with decent production values. A very suspenseful movie based on a simple plot. As I recall you heard the truck in its death throes as it went over the cliff in the end.

Hmmm....

My personal faves....

"They Drive By Night" 1938
    "They Drive By Night" 1940

Same title, both involve trucks and driving. The 1938 Movie is a British Production, more Hitchcock than anything else. Recently released convict wrongly accused of his girlfriends murder hitches with a trucker in an effort to clear his name.

The 1940 film stars George Raft and Bogart back when Bogart got 4th billing. About truckers and mobsters and protection rackets. A much different but equally interesting film than it's predecessor.

Da "Obscure One" Worfster

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Hey Worf's post just made me think of a bad Stallone movie. I think it was called FIST or something like that which if I recall was about organizing a union for truckers. Does that meet your criteria Smokey?

Maximum Overdrive: aka Why Stephen King shouldn't be allowed behind the lens

Convoy: How did you forget this good buddy???

The Big Bus: OK, it's not a truck per se, but it was a REALLY big bus!

thekid, as you said Duel was an awesome movie. I like the part where Dennis Weaver take a nap in his car by railroad track, and suddenly wakes up thinking the truck coming at him which was actually the train passing by. And then he start laughing out loud. That was Speilberg at his best.

Worf, thanks for Bogart movie suggestion. Don't think I have seen that movie. Those truck drivers from that period must have been brave souls as they didn't have non of today's comforts in trucking business. And no freeways

Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    Maximum Overdrive: aka Why Stephen King shouldn't be allowed behind the lens.
    That movie was complete disaster. Initially got a big push due to AC/DC soundtrack, but that was the only highlight of film.

And no, I didn't forget Convoy (check again)

Thread Information