Bourne or Bond?

Printable View

  • 08-13-2007, 12:53 PM
    topspeed
    Bourne or Bond?
    I caught The Bourne Ultimatum this past week and found it lived up to the hype. I'm a big fan of the Bourne trilogy, and was completely satisfied with the closure of the series. Not as much character development as Bourne Identity, but at this juncture you have to wonder if they really need it. Everyone knows who Jason Bourne is except, well... Jason Bourne.

    Ahh, but that is not the point of this poll. The question is: If you were a high powered Politico and needed some "fixing" to be done, who would you hire? Bond or Bourne? For arguments sake, let's make this the Daniel Craig version as he is the most similar to Bourne. Shoot first and all that.

    Do you pick Bond, with his suave demeanor and cool toys

    OR

    Do you go with Bourne's Jeet Kune Do lethality and seemingly limitless skill set?

    The fate of the free world rests with your decision.
  • 08-13-2007, 01:04 PM
    GMichael
    Jason Bourne who?
  • 08-13-2007, 01:57 PM
    RoyY51
    There's no way that Johnny-come-lately Bourne can compete with decades of Bond's professional mayhem. Plus, Bourne has no idea why he's doing what he's doing...Bond always knows. For King and Country!
  • 08-13-2007, 02:41 PM
    Rich-n-Texas
    I agree with RoyY51... again. Bond is a well established problem solver.
  • 08-13-2007, 03:43 PM
    PeruvianSkies
    No competition....BOND!

    21 Major feature films to 3 + 1 Telefilm.

    Bond is the biggest franchise in the motion picture industry spanning over 40 years with 6 different Bonds. Let's also face the fact that Bond is a major player in the marketing industry and what you see in a Bond film suddenly becomes popular...from Lotus Esprits to Walther PPK's. Despite some of the lesser Bond films, there is no doubt that you can expect great cars, funny dialogue, lots of ladies, and super action from a Bond flick!
  • 08-13-2007, 04:00 PM
    bobsticks
    Given the parameters of the question I probably go Bond, if only because I can see alot of sleepless nights resulting from trying to manipulate an amnesiac into believing that your goals were in his best interests. Anticipating his decisions could lead to ulcers.

    Not to threadcrap but if I'm doing the dirty dance I'll take Bob Lee Swagger over both of them. Blends into crowds and why get close when you can reach out and touch somebody?
  • 08-13-2007, 04:28 PM
    topspeed
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bobsticks
    Given the parameters of the question I probably go Bond, if only because I can see alot of sleepless nights resulting from trying to manipulate an amnesiac into believing that your goals were in his best interests. Anticipating his decisions could lead to ulcers.

    A valid consideration, without question. Clearly you understand I wasn't asking which was a better movie franchise or marketing tool, rather which is a better assassin? This isn't a popularity contest, it's a question of which spy is more capable.

    Quote:

    Not to threadcrap but if I'm doing the dirty dance I'll take Bob Lee Swagger over both of them. Blends into crowds and why get close when you can reach out and touch somebody?
    I hope you're referring to the Bob Lee Swagger of Black Light and Point of Impact more than the somewhat disappointing Shooter version. I'm a big fan of Stephen Hunter novels and happen to be reading Havana right now. 47th Samurai should be interesting.
  • 08-13-2007, 04:37 PM
    bobsticks
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by topspeed
    I hope you're referring to the Bob Lee Swagger of Black Light and Point of Impact more than the somewhat disappointing Shooter version. I'm a big fan of Stephen Hunter novels and happen to be reading Havana right now. 47th Samurai should be interesting.

    You know it, pork.
  • 08-13-2007, 05:26 PM
    RoyY51
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    I agree with RoyY51... again. Bond is a well established problem solver.

    One possibility is that Great Minds Think Alike. The other, more logical scenario is that those of us who are raised in the South tend to have similar shared experiences, and therefore, more shared viewpoints. It's good to know that I have a kindred spirit on this forum.

    Thanks for your kind comments.

    Roy
  • 08-14-2007, 03:25 AM
    kexodusc
    I like at least 2 Bond movies better than the Bourne Trilogy, (and there's several that should never have been made), but if I needed someoen to get the job done, I'd take Jason Bourne over Bond any day. That guy is a genetic freak now.
    Bond's got cooler toys, but he can't be that good or there'd be only 1 Bond.
  • 08-14-2007, 04:47 AM
    PeruvianSkies
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by kexodusc
    I like at least 2 Bond movies better than the Bourne Trilogy, (and there's several that should never have been made), but if I needed someoen to get the job done, I'd take Jason Bourne over Bond any day. That guy is a genetic freak now.
    Bond's got cooler toys, but he can't be that good or there'd be only 1 Bond.

    Agreed!
  • 08-14-2007, 05:23 AM
    Rich-n-Texas
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by kexodusc
    I like at least 2 Bond movies better than the Bourne Trilogy, (and there's several that should never have been made), but if I needed someoen to get the job done, I'd take Jason Bourne over Bond any day. That guy is a genetic freak now.
    Bond's got cooler toys, but he can't be that good or there'd be only 1 Bond.

    Richard Chamberlain played Jason Bourne back in 1988...

    Bond is cold and calculating with nerves of steel.
  • 08-14-2007, 05:28 AM
    Rich-n-Texas
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by RoyY51
    One possibility is that Great Minds Think Alike. The other, more logical scenario is that those of us who are raised in the South tend to have similar shared experiences, and therefore, more shared viewpoints. It's good to know that I have a kindred spirit on this forum.

    Thanks for your kind comments.

    Roy

    You're welcome. While I agree 100% with your first assesment, I have to burst your bubble about your second scenario. I wasn't raised in the south, I was raised in (now get this)... New Jersey! :cornut:
  • 08-14-2007, 05:31 AM
    Rich-n-Texas
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies
    No competition....BOND!

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by PS
    Agreed!

    Huh? Did you just do a flip-flop? :idea:
  • 08-14-2007, 11:32 AM
    SlumpBuster
    WTF! Am I the only one who has actually seen Moonraker? That thing stunk out loud. A bunch of the Bond movies stunk. Virtually everything from the Roger Moore era plays like a made for TV movie. "Look out! He's throwing his sharp hat at you!" "OMG! The car is submarine!" Spare me.

    Another big problem with the Bond movies is that they have often tried to change with the times. Anyone else remember "safe sex Bond." Bond didn't know what to do do with himself after the real world fall of communism. Columbian drug cartels as a nemisis? Boring!

    Bourne is a formidable character. So formidable that the wonderful Casino Royale owes a large gratitude to Bourne for providing the template that put Bond back on the right track. Remember when Daniel Craig was a supposedly controversial choice? Well, who woulda picked Will Hunting as a super spy?

    My vote goes to Bourne. Check back after Craig has a couple more under his belt.
  • 08-14-2007, 12:57 PM
    dean_martin
    1 Attachment(s)
    no poll gets by without a "you left out _____".
  • 08-14-2007, 01:20 PM
    SlumpBuster
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dean_martin
    no poll gets by without a "you left out _____".


    Say it with a Sammy D. drawl: Schhhweeeeeeeet, baby!
  • 08-14-2007, 03:02 PM
    I think that Bourne is much more of a JGIT kinda guy. If I had to spend big bucks on getting something done right, I'd put my money on him. Put it this way, if you pitted Bond and Bourne against each other and make, oh I duno, all of Latin America the boardgame, you know that Bourne would win in the end, especially if it came down to hand-to-hand combat. He's just a tougher kinda guy and isn't limited by that British politeness crap. Put it another way, how many people did Bourne kill in his last movie compared to Bond? And Bourne can do that with bent spoon and a paperclip, while bond would still be pushing buttons on his Inspector Gadget watch before he knew that he was dead. And in hand-to-hand combat who kicked the most a$$? That's right - it's Bourne.

    Now this isn't saying that Bond isn't one tough son of a bioch. For example, getting his balls bashed wasn't pleasant, but if it came to actually surviving without balls at all (you can insert your own scenario for that), Bourne would be the more likely candidate. Heck, I could see him burned to the bone, hopping away on a bloody stump of a leg and no arms, whereas Bond wouldn't be able to deal with the fact that like that he wouldn't be getting laid anymore. No - if you want something done at any price, Bourne is your man.

    Heck, a better comparison would be Jack & Bourne. Now that would be a tougher call. Not so much because he can hand Bourne a new one in a deathmatch, but he'd be more wily about it. You just can't seem to kill Jack, even if you do kill him, he somehow comes back to life.
  • 08-14-2007, 04:06 PM
    RoyY51
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    You're welcome. While I agree 100% with your first assesment, I have to burst your bubble about your second scenario. I wasn't raised in the south, I was raised in (now get this)... New Jersey! :cornut:

    OK...lets go back to scenario #1. I liked that one better anyway.
  • 08-14-2007, 05:58 PM
    Wireworm5
    Form a Tag team
    Why have them fight each other at all, they would make one terrific tag team. You could send them into a place like Columbia and have them clean house! While you're at it bring some of the old farts out of retirement. Like Chuck Norris, Rambo, Arnie, Seagul, Clint Eastwood, etc. And if you're a really good writer you could raise our dead heros, like Bronson & Lee Marvin, guys that really knew how to use a gun. And lets not forget Bruce Lee, he can kick some serious butt.

    That would be a Blockbuster movie I'd go see. :)
  • 08-15-2007, 04:13 AM
    kexodusc
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Wireworm5
    Why have them fight each other at all, they would make one terrific tag team. You could send them into a place like Columbia and have them clean house! While you're at it bring some of the old farts out of retirement. Like Chuck Norris, Rambo, Arnie, Seagul, Clint Eastwood, etc. And if you're a really good writer you could raise our dead heros, like Bronson & Lee Marvin, guys that really knew how to use a gun. And lets not forget Bruce Lee, he can kick some serious butt.

    That would be a Blockbuster movie I'd go see. :)

    Are you kidding, by definition, any film with Steven Seagal has to suck. :D


    I liked reading slumpy and nightflier's posts...they took the time to spell out what I was thinking - Bourne could probably bring down the entire MI6 machine.
  • 08-15-2007, 09:52 AM
    Groundbeef
    Hands down, Bourne is the man. The last Bond movie didn't do it for me, and as others have pointed out quantity doesn't equal quality.

    I have found Bourne to be more capable, and competent in his surroundings without the Bat Belt, and Batmobile. If I want to see Batman, I'll watch Batman Begins, not Casino Royale.

    That movie reminded me of the the "Incredibles" where they talk about the enemy mastermind monologue and other cliches that are in play. I found them everywhere in Casino. It seemed like they just threw crap in to make it drag on longer. The poker game has to be one of the WORST plot lines ever.

    Anyway, I think the thrust of the question is who is more capable, and I have to hand it to Bourne. He would kill Bond in an instant, revive him, and kill him again before Bond even knew what was up.
  • 08-15-2007, 10:44 AM
    bobsticks
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Groundbeef
    . I have found Bourne to be more capable, and competent in his surroundings without the Bat Belt, and Batmobile. If I want to see Batman, I'll watch Batman Begins, not Casino Royale.

    Absolutely. I have no doubt that in almost every situation Bourne will oust Bond. His sheer inventiveness, physical prowess and resiliency would win the day.

    Butt the question was who would you use to complete a "sensitive task". Bourne, because of circumstance, is not portrayed as a duty bound soldier but one who fights survival/self interest. In the given situation one would have to spend more time manipulating and worrying about his reactions as opposed to providing support (see kidnapping sequence in Kowloon for examples).

    I would want someone I could count on to get in, get it done, ad get out with no drama or subplot...I also wouldn't go target shooting with a sawed-off.
  • 08-15-2007, 11:31 AM
    Groundbeef
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bobsticks
    Butt the question was who would you use to complete a "sensitive task". Bourne, because of circumstance, is not portrayed as a duty bound soldier but one who fights survival/self interest. In the given situation one would have to spend more time manipulating and worrying about his reactions as opposed to providing support (see kidnapping sequence in Kowloon for examples).

    I would want someone I could count on to get in, get it done, ad get out with no drama or subplot...I also wouldn't go target shooting with a sawed-off.

    Well, I think that Bourne would still be your guy. The fact that he went off the reservation doesn't take away from his awesome skill set. Remeber, he was a competent, trained killer before his quest to discover WHO he really was.

    I think with a given task he would out do Bond hands down.
  • 08-15-2007, 02:20 PM
    topspeed
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by slumpy
    Bourne is a formidable character. So formidable that the wonderful Casino Royale owes a large gratitude to Bourne for providing the template that put Bond back on the right track.

    This is a very good point. When writing Casino, the producers publicly stated the new Bond was going to be more raw, a la' Bourne.


    Quote:

    Originally Posted by nightflier
    Heck, I could see him burned to the bone, hopping away on a bloody stump of a leg and no arms,

    I don't know why, but when I read this statement, the first thing that came to mind was this.

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by nightlier
    Heck, a better comparison would be Jack & Bourne.

    Uhh...Jack?!?:confused:

    I asked my wife this question and she unhesitatingly voted Bourne. She brought up a very good point regarding his mental state noting that she would want someone that couldn't really remember everything. That way she could not be implicated. True dat.

    Hmmm, it's very interesting that the tide seems to flow in favor of Bourne...and yet Bond leads 6 to 4. Perhaps some of the other Double O's have voted without posting or should we count the chads?