• Christine

0 0%
  • Le Mans

0 0%
  • Corvette Summer

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Best Vehicle Movies

The talk about Blue Thunder in the other thread got me thinking about how much I like movies based around a vehicle or vehicles. Big surprise with a moniker like topspeed, eh? Since Worster has been lax about his weekly polls, I thought I'd give it a go.

Note: I used Gumball Rally instead of Cannonball Rally, because the latter was a blatant rip-off and Gumball was simply better.

And with that, we're off...

Cool Smokey & The Bandit

Put me down for Smokey & The Bandit. This movie just made me laugh. And it was the first time I got to see the Flying Nun out of her habbit. Does that make me a sicko?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Forum Regular
    From this list, it's gotta be Blue Thunder! Love that flick so much I almost bought the fullscreen $9.99 cheapie at FYE. Couldn't make myself do it, though. Still waiting for a SE dvd. Corvette Summer brought back some memories! Mark Hamill, right? Annie Potts as...Vanessa! One of the few flicks I got to see in an actual drive-in as a kid. I got some honorable mentions for you:

Top Gun
    Mad Max/The Road Warrior
    Gone In 60 seconds
    Remember a movie called Death Race 2000? What a hoot!

Quote Originally Posted by Defshep
    From this list, it's gotta be Blue Thunder! Love that flick so much I almost bought the fullscreen $9.99 cheapie at FYE. Couldn't make myself do it, though. Still waiting for a SE dvd. Corvette Summer brought back some memories! Mark Hamill, right? Annie Potts as...Vanessa! One of the few flicks I got to see in an actual drive-in as a kid. I got some honorable mentions for you:

Top Gun
    Mad Max/The Road Warrior
    Gone In 60 seconds
    Remember a movie called Death Race 2000? What a hoot!
    Death Race 2000? Whenever someone steps in front of my car in a parking lot without looking, I still ask, How many points?"
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

I considered Road Warrior, but decided it wasn't quite in the same vein (for whatever twisted reason).

Top Gun is iffy. Are the planes really the crux of the story or is it more about Maverick trying to do a negative 3g inverted dive into Charlie's bed? Hmmm...
    Gone in 60 Seconds should have been there.
    I did remember Death Race, but couldn't remember the name! Thanks!

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Death Race 2000? Whenever someone steps in front of my car in a parking lot without looking, I still ask, How many points?"
    Hee hee...

Feel the Tempo eisforelectronic's Avatar
    It's all about Blue Thunder!!! Something about a real flying prop. Firefox(the movie) was just so damn slow and the effects didn't even look that good for that time.
    Audio Physic Avanti IV w/upgraded mids and crossover
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva XPA-3
    Peachtree Audio iNova
    Rega Brio-R
    Rega RP-1
    Sony PS3
    BAT VK-D5se
    Totem Acoustic Dreamcatchers

Forum Regular
    Where is the Road Warrior?? That movie was about his car, i dont care what anybody else says. Is Blue Thunder the one with Roy Schneider from Jaws as a helicopter pilot??
    "Flouridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face."
    --Gen. Jack D. Ripper

Forum Regular
    That's the one, MomurdA! Scheider is one of the underrated actors of his time. He's just so damned believable in everything (not that he's been in alot of memorable movies) he does. I think he actually piloted the chopper in some of the safer scenes.
    Firefox was an intelligent flick. As a kid, I thought it was a little slow, but it's really grown on me. The effects were obviously models shot in front blue screens, which doesn't hold up to well today. Especially since Top Gun was released a couple of years later. I believe John Dykstra (Star Wars, Battlestar Galactica) did the effects for Firefox.

Great topic! Lot of little gems and guilty pleasures in this category. It's also a pretty far flung topic. Just some of the other movies I can think of that could fill out this topic include The Big Bus, Titanic, Airport, Stealth, Tucker, and even Seabiscuit.

From the list, I would probably put Speed up there just simply because it was a damn good thriller. Blue Thunder explores a lot of themes about privacy and technology, and it holds up pretty well even though the gizmos on that supercopter seem a lot closer to reality nowadays.

When I saw the topic header, the first movie that came to mind was The Road Warrior -- one of my all-time favorite movies of any genre.

Wow, where have I been? I've only saw speed and fast n furious out of that list. I've probably watched road warrior a long time ago but I don't remember the movie.

I really struggled with whether or not to include Road Warrior. To me, Mad Max is really the focus, but it looks like I'm out-voted on this one .

Wooch,
    I completely forgot about The Big Bus, which I remember loving as a kid. I saw it in the theater with a big group of relatives. It was a double feature with another great vehicle movie that should have been included: Easy Rider. BTW, Blue Thunder was on Cinemax the same night I was whining that it was never on the movie channels. Go figure. At least I recorded it !

I suppose Vanishing Point and Duel should be here too.

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    I really struggled with whether or not to include Road Warrior. To me, Mad Max is really the focus, but it looks like I'm out-voted on this one .

Wooch,
    I completely forgot about The Big Bus, which I remember loving as a kid. I saw it in the theater with a big group of relatives. It was a double feature with another great vehicle movie that should have been included: Easy Rider. BTW, Blue Thunder was on Cinemax the same night I was whining that it was never on the movie channels. Go figure. At least I recorded it !

I suppose Vanishing Point and Duel should be here too.
    My Vote is for "Death Race 2000" But you should also add the original "Herbie the Love Bug" As the main star was a vehicle (much like Cristine). LOL!
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Thumbs up Yeah you left out some goodies and got some.

The fact that you got "Gumball Rally" on the list gives you big props from me. That's the ONLY car movie I could ever watch without going into redneck relapse mode. God the 70's were a nightmare. Some I'd mention.

"Air Force" - All about one B-17 the "Mary Anne" and her crew.

"The Memphis Belle" - Same as above.

"The Road Warrior" - Wow, need I say more.

"Vanishing Point" - That supercharged Dodge.

"Easy Rider" - The Captain America Mortocycle, still an Icon today.

"Das Boot" - Hey best sub movie ever made, so good you found yourself rooting for the Nazis.

"The Wraithe" - One part "Christine", one part "Ghost Story". Good teen flick.

Well those are the best I could come up with off the top of my head. Good poll question for your first shot.

Da Worfster

Ps

How could we forget....

"The Great Race"
    "The Hindenberg"

Da Worfster

Ok guys, I don't see anybody mentioning Convoy. What is matter with you guys!

Man, I did forget a lot of 'em!

Keep them comin'!

Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    The fact that you got "Gumball Rally" on the list gives you big props from me. That's the ONLY car movie I could ever watch without going into redneck relapse mode.

Da Worfster
    I still remember seeing this movie with my dad, another die hard gearhead. Right at the end, when the Cobra and Daytona are waiting for that line of pedestrians to pass, I asked him which would win. He said the Cobra was quicker but the Daytona was faster. That was the first time I realized there was a difference between the two and for that reason I'll always love this movie (besides the fact that it's funny as hell).

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    Man, I did forget a lot of 'em!

Keep them comin'!
    Did anyone mention, Trains, Plains and Automobiles? How about the Cannonball Run flicks?

Kam
    Chitty Chitty Bang Bang!!
    /create

And one for the road...I mean the railroad

Last edited by Smokey; 10-13-2005 at 10:13 AM.

Silver Streak is one of my all-time favorties. I never get sick of it.

Forum Regular
    Does anyone remember a film called The Last Chase? I believe it starred Lee Majors as a fighter pilot. I think Burgess Meredith starred as well. I can't really remember the plot, but it was on HBO al the time when I was a kid.

Feel the Tempo eisforelectronic's Avatar
    Firebirds....lol
    Audio Physic Avanti IV w/upgraded mids and crossover
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva XPA-3
    Peachtree Audio iNova
    Rega Brio-R
    Rega RP-1
    Sony PS3
    BAT VK-D5se
    Totem Acoustic Dreamcatchers

New additions:
    White Line Fever
    Seabiscuit
    That really bad Stephen King movie with Emilio Esteves and the possessed big rigs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information