Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    Hmm......sounds like me when I upgraded from my Sony's to current Energy system. Not only was there a huge improvent for movie, but also music. Man I went through most of my CD collection that first week.

One of my first demo disc for my new setup was the T-rex scene on JP. Well there's a storm going on the background right. Well on my new system there was a STORM going on in the background. Huge difference. Glad your enjoying your new gear.
    L.J., it was you who encouraged me to move on from the Sonys with your helpful comparisons. Thanks again. And you were right about Master and Commander! I... gotta go... Must...play... Superbit Black Hawk Down..

Another couple of suggestions

Fellowship of the Ring: Moria to The Bridge of Khazad-dum sequence. From pinpoint localizing to moving 3D audio effects to ambient sounds, whispers and flickers of torches to cataclysmic crashes, low bass to high treble, it all gets a work out.

Imax Super Speedway: Test track sequence. If you don't get a bit just a bit nervous, your speakers need to be moved/recalibrated.

Forum Regular
    I believe that LOTR dvd / scene was actually the first one I played on the new setup. One of my absolute favorites.

Here are some of the best....although you may need to acquire a all-region DVD player in most cases to get the best of both worlds (good film, good performance).

HOUSE OF FLYING DAGGERS (Region 3 DTS Full-bit 1536kbps)
    THE CELL (Region 3 DTS Full-bit 1536kbps)
    MASTER AND COMMANDER (Region 1 DTS Collectors Edition)
    ALI (Region 2 DTS)
    THE PATRIOT (Region 1 Superbit)
    BLACK HAWK DOWN (Region 1 or 3 Superbit)
    LORD OF THE RINGS Ext. Editions (Region 1 DTS-ES)
    BLADE (Region 3 Japan Import Full-bit rate DTS 1536kbps)
    BLADE 2 (Region 1 DTS-ES)
    GLADIATOR (Region 1 DTS-ES)
    SPIDER-MAN 2 (Region 1 Superbit)
    WINDTALKERS (Region 3 Full-bit rate DTS 1536kbps)
    TOY STORY 1 and 2 (Region 1)
    FINDING NEMO (Region 3 DTS-ES)
    THE LION KING (region 3 DTS)
    RONIN (Region 2 DTS)
    WAR OF THE WORLDS (Region 1)
    TERMINATOR 3 (Region 2 DTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Lensman
    Fellowship of the Ring: Moria to The Bridge of Khazad-dum sequence. From pinpoint localizing to moving 3D audio effects to ambient sounds, whispers and flickers of torches to cataclysmic crashes, low bass to high treble, it all gets a work out.

Imax Super Speedway: Test track sequence. If you don't get a bit just a bit nervous, your speakers need to be moved/recalibrated.
    IMAX DVDs are a great suggestion. On Sir Terrence's recommendation, I picked up a few of them and I've been floored with how well the surround mixing was done on those soundtracks. IMAX theaters are built to comparable dimensions so they use point source surround speaker clusters in the corners rather than speaker arrays that run along the side and back walls. This is more similar to how a home theater is arranged, and it seems that the soundtracks are mixed and optimized accordingly.

LOTR:FOTR is a well done soundtrack IF you're talking about the extended edition. The soundtrack on the theatrical cut DVD had the levels set way too high, and audibly distorted in some scenes.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information