Battlestar Galactica "mini series"

anyone else piss away four hours of their life on this alleged mini series? For starters since when does two parts equal a mini series? That was the miniest mini series of all time. I thought things were trucking along just fine and when I tuned off the KU game to check out the third installment I was greeted with "The Night Flier". WTH? That was the ending Tuesday night? You've got to be kidding me. If this was promoted as a pilot I could understand but it wasn't and I have no idea if there are any plans or not.

Visually the show was fine and the actors did a good job. I didn't even really mind the drastic departures from the original series although I'm not sure that castrating Starbuck served much of a purpose. I think the audio was severely lacking. There was so much potential for really cool effects especially during the many battle scenes but I found it had no impact regardless of the volume. Maybe the DVD will sound better but I sure as heck am not about to spend the time/money to find out.

Tons of potential-came up way short in my opinion.

jc
    Last edited by Jim Clark; 12-11-2003 at 01:18 PM.
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

JSE
    I think it's best to not associated it with the previous series. Once I quite trying to compare it, I started to enjoy it more.

I'm with you on the mini-mini series thing. I thought this was going to be a whole season of new episodes. Two two hour shows with no ending? I bet they could crank out 20 to 30 more episodes with no problem to finish the story.

The Sound was lacking. In a lot of the fights it seemd like they went for the silence is better route. When they would launch nukes, I expected huge sound. But instead we got these little whispers of rockets being launched and then subtle explosions. I understand this is probably more realistic, but darnit this is Battlestar Galactica! I want action and big sound. They really missed the boat with the sound. It was not poorly mixed or anything like that, they just went with the wrong "effect" with the sound. They went subtle, we needed dramatic.

Anyone heard when and if new episodes are supposed to come out?

Bye the way, that Cylon is HOT!

JSE

Mini Mini Series....

Most mini series are about 4 hour's long. Gone are the days of "The Thornbirds" my friend. I think "The Stand" and "Taken" will be about the last of the long ones. Most "mini series" are just extended series pilots. That's just what this was, a series pilot. I'm hooked I'll tell you that. I loved how they took a cheesey Star Wars Wannabe TV series and made it into a real, honest to God, drama. I mean when is the last time you saw characters having to deal with doing very unheroric things like killing civilians, abandoning the helpless to save themselves. I've never seen drama like that before.

As for the sound, I didn't miss it... I was more concerned about the story. I liked it all truth be told..

Da Worfster .

Kam

agree with worfster

i really enjoyed it too. thought this was the best of the sci-fi channels movies that they've made. i never saw Children Of DUne, but heard that one was pretty good. i enjoyed their version of Dune, was kinda fun, but am really hoping they get enough advertiser revenue to crank out some more of this series. am really curious if they'll follow the same episodes of the old series as they have to start off with at least. would love to see the one with Iblis remade. that was a great one.

anywho, worfster, is your avatar from The Passion? Newmarket finally picked it up and a release date has eben set for Feb. Can't wait to see it.

peace
    k2

Good to see you again Kam my friend!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kam
    i really enjoyed it too. thought this was the best of the sci-fi channels movies that they've made. i never saw Children Of DUne, but heard that one was pretty good. i enjoyed their version of Dune, was kinda fun, but am really hoping they get enough advertiser revenue to crank out some more of this series. am really curious if they'll follow the same episodes of the old series as they have to start off with at least. would love to see the one with Iblis remade. that was a great one.

anywho, worfster, is your avatar from The Passion? Newmarket finally picked it up and a release date has eben set for Feb. Can't wait to see it.

peace
    k2
    I truly loved Battlestar Gallactica. Children of Dune was okay, but no where good as this truth be told. I personally hope they DON'T follow the original series very closely. Lotta decades since then, whole new world... give me broken doors and different boundaries... As for my Avatar LOL, it's definatly NOT from The Passion, though that would be cool in an "insider" sort of way. No it's actually Wilt Chamberlin as Kumbata in Conan the Destroyer. Hated the movie but like the idea of a black warrior barbaian.

Later my brother...

Da Worfster

Kam
    oh i see it now, shame on me, i've enjoyed 'the destroyer for its ridiculously horrible value and such incredibly classic dialogue.

yeah, i definitely liked the changes with boxie, boomer, starbuck and others. i do miss the cylon "eye" although it shows up in cool spots. here's hopin' they continue with the series!

Forum Regular
    Skip this post if you do not want a spoiler:

What got me was their setting up Boomer to be found out as a Cylon. What's up with that? As for a series, we shall see. I think it can make it as a weekly series but let us bide our time before giving judgement. I also dispised the use of nukes. Come on! You're telling me these folks travel freely between planets in advanced space ships and have nothing better than nuclear weapons to take out the population of a planet?!?! You'd think they could take a page out of Independence Day. Sci Fi also made a mistake of not advertising part one of two. Evendently they went with showing part one and two back to back both days and showing part two on Wednesday. What most people thought was they'd show part one back to back on Monday and then part two back to back on Tuesday. Very poor job on their part not relaying that information, advertising the heck out of it yet not conveying the essential showing information to the viewers. Time will tell what this series may do. My guess is it will be set up to be SG-1s heir apparant.

Thread Information