Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    That was for the 3D version. As the critics said, without the 3D it's pretty formulaic. Sure it was pure entertainment, and I respect people wanting that, but let's not fool ourselves, this story's been done before, the special effects were nothing new (aside from the 3D), and the acting was as expected of the actors in it.
    The movie was designed as a total experience, not one to be parceled into small pieces. Almost all movies have been done before, so let's not fool ourselves into to thinking there are a bunch of original ideas floating around. I do not mind non original concepts being used, as long as they are done tastefully, and Avatar fits that bill.

And just to shut lil't up, I saw about half of the movie at a party where the kids were watching it, and frankly, the party was more entertaining.
    The only thing you have told me here is that you are offering a half @ssed experience to go along with a half @ssed opinion. That is a small improvement on your usual no @ss experience with your no @ss opinion.

Frankly, I think you are lying through your teeth.

Even the kids weren't all that interested and could only rave about the 3D effects they had seen in the theater.
    Wow, did you ask them all, or is this just another lie to make a point. Me thinks it is the latter since you have a long history of it.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

I liked Avatar. It was silly, hokey, formulaic, and fun. One dimensional characters, stilted acting and Sigourney in a sexy outfit. What's not to like? I'm going to buy a copy. I've got all the Star Trek movies also. So there!

As I'm writing this they are running an add on TV for the latest remake of Nightmare On Elm Street. That's the real enemy to taste quality and good sense. Puleeeeze, wasn't the original enough?
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar
    Hey guys, this isn't the "Steel Cage" so please tone down the personal attacks.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Suspended
    I picked up a copy yesterday. I believe it's BD/DVD and also allows a digital copy. Not bad for $20. Sony performed the replication for 20th Century Fox, so I was able to view the movie a couple of weeks ago on my laptop. I liked it. It was entertaining, but there's really not a lot of substance. I can't wait to see it at home on my system where I can get the intended video and audio effects. I like 3D, but more than happy to wait until second generation hardware is available. I'll let someone else work out the bugs.

Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    I'm pretty sure that the critics of this movie pretty much unanimously said that it wasn't that impressive, aside from the 3D. It's a story-line that's been done to death already, the acting is so-so, the special effects are nothing new, and the soundtrack is OK. While I'm sure it will do well enough just based on the fact that it was such a hit in theaters, but it does have the problem that many people have seen it already on a better screen, with better sound, and in 3D. Even at $20, is it worth it w/o the 3D?
    Well said...we were so under whelmed as this story has been beat to death...ho hum acting and no connection to the characters because the ending was so predictable. Having said that, most of the audience was smitten with the characters...but then again there were people laughing at the lame jokes in Transformers 2. Money back please?

OK folks, I picked up my copy last night and watch half of it then and the rest this morning. As I posted earlier, I was looking forward to seeing it on my system and I was not disappointed at all. The colors were rich, vibrant and deep,(much better than the 3D version I saw at the theater) The computer graphics (CGI) were done at top notch level. The Story is what it is, but the visual candy is more than enough to make up for the lack in character depth and story line (by the way I like the Colonel) Classic Marine, like me lol. The sound was right on, not overly done, surround effects added to the movie not distraction from what was happening on the screen ( In short a good sound Mixing job), Voices were clear from center and the right to left pan was dead on. So you can sit here and pick this movie apart, but it was a great deal for under $20 for a Blu-Ray title and it will make most HT setups shine, and be a show off to others to see. just my two cents.
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

Quote Originally Posted by emaidel
    Personally, I thought the movie was nothing less than outstanding. While I was very happy "The Hurt Locker" won for Best Picture, I thought the choice between it and "Avatar" was a tough one.
    Agreed. I've been out of town all week and got in just before midnight only to discover that wifey bought me a BR copy!

rw

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information