Forum Regular

Anyone going to get the Alien boxed set?

It looks great to me.

But what i really want is just the extended movies, not all that other crap.

What a great group those films are. Alien scared the crap out of me the first time I saw it. Well not really scared, but made me nervous as hell that's for sure.

Dave

Yep, the first 2 are terriffic flicks.

I won't buy 'em, but I'll sure rent 'em.

Forum Regular

unfortunatly

I bought the old box set about a year and a half ago, so I don't think I'll be re-buying them. Too many other moview to buy. I'd be interested to know how the new edition compares to the old set in sound and video.

Forum Regular
    Alien 3 is the worst one for sure, and actually Alien Ressurection is pretty damn good, Sigourney is really something else in that flick.

Aliens is the bomb. Incredible concept and somehow they pull it off.

Great stuff. I love that outer space/monster/horror kind of stuff, Predator, etc.

Any other good ones like that out there?

Dave

I'll get it....

Probably used on ebay though.... Sigourney is one sexy, ravashing woman and handy to have around in a fight too.....

Da Wanton Worfster

They're coming out individually next month - 1/6, I think, if all you want to do is fill in gaps (or avoid 3 and 4).

peace,
    jh.

Forum Regular

Awsome

Never got to see any of these before! Might check out some after Christmas now. Oh ya. Anyone see The Ring? 5.1 DTS, Kinda creepy, Excellent story line...If you haven't seen it. You mustt!!!! Or the aliens will get you

Forum Regular
    I've been wanting to see The Ring, several people have told me it's really very good and very suspensful and scary.

I wish I could find 976-EVIL to rent.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by joel2762
    Never got to see any of these before! Might check out some after Christmas now. Oh ya. Anyone see The Ring? 5.1 DTS, Kinda creepy, Excellent story line...If you haven't seen it. You mustt!!!! Or the aliens will get you
    I concur. This is one scary movie with one HELL of a soundtrack. It STILL haz my son's mom creeped out. Some of the best rear speaker utilization I've ever heard. Outstanding.

Da Worfster

Forum Regular

My Alien Quadrilogy doesn't play!

I got the Quadrilogy this past Christmas and only the extras discs play not the movies! I returned it once already and I keep getting the "cannot play disc" from my SONY DVP-S300. Was there a recall that I'm unaware of? Despite that though the box set looks really great sitting in my collection!

Forum Regular

Alien Quad

So far I have watched both the extended Alien and Aliens. I hadn't seen Alien in years so I can't even tell you what the extra scene was. However, the DTS soundtrack was awesome. I really enjoyed the film as well.

Aliens extended reminded me of Camerons work on T2. In the extended version, he brings a lot more heart to the film, which was lacking in the first release of the film. Does it make it better, I thought so, but your Mileage may vary.

Sound on Aliens was excellent too. The bass was deep if somewhat inconsistent. I had to turn it down because it was absuing my speakers.

Will be watching the rest as time allows. Haven't seen Alien 3 since the theater - as I recall, it wasn't very good. However, David Fincher of Fight Club fame is the director so it could be interesting to see if he has any signature type things that carry through to his other work.

I certainly noticed several "Cameron" and "Scott" type cues in the first films.

Yam

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by yamdsp-a1
    Haven't seen Alien 3 since the theater - as I recall, it wasn't very good. However, David Fincher of Fight Club fame is the director so it could be interesting to see if he has any signature type things that carry through to his other work.
    Yam
    For anyone who's interested, the extended scenes/director's editions in this set are pretty uneventful...and hence they were cut from the originals. And yes, Alien 3 was aweful in theatres, and on the extended DVD it even needs subtitles for the dialogue in some scenes where the sound is sooo bad...It was probably the worst movie of the 4.
    Still the boxed set all in all is very good, comes in a neat case with some decent dialogue...if you like the series it's a must, if you're a casual fan, it's not a bad buy...if you've never seen them, I'd recommend renting or just buying 1 at a time in the correct order.

Forum Regular
    I don't have the Alien Quadrilogy yet but I'm pretty sure my wife is buying it in April for my B-Day. Yeah, I'll never forget the first time I saw Alien on HBO...scary as hell. I don't think I've ever been(before or since) so totally stressed-out watching a movie. They didn't show full-glimpses of the creature in the first flick which made it even scarier(the unknown). I still consider it one of the scariest flicks I've ever seen. The second installment,Aliens, was great too and we finally got a good glimpse(many times over) of what scared the hell out of us in the first flick. Both are classic,IMO. The third one kinda sucked..a letdown. It was very gloomy as it took place on a God-Forsaken planet which served as non-secured prison(if you went outside then you would die instantly) so they were forced to fight the creatures without weapons...HELLO! Alien Resurrection,however, was pretty good and a big improvement from the third installment. That being said, the first two are the real classics in this series with Alien Resurrection being a solid effort.

BTW, I finally watched The Ring last weekend. We've had it in our DVD cabinet for awhile but I never bothered to check it out. My 17 year old daughter saw it in the theater several times and it kinda spooked her out. I was actually kinda let down as I didn't think it was as scary as advertised. We watched it in the afternoon so maybe that had something to do with it. Don't get me wrong, I liked it quite a bit since it was very suspenseful and intriguing but I expected to get scared out of my skin....it didn't happen.

Forum Regular
    I saw the Quadrilogy in Sam's Club today and they were asking $62 for it. I figured it was a pretty good price since they were only asking $25 for the LOTR's Two Towers Extended Edition.

Thread Information