• 11-22-2005, 06:06 AM
    Worf101
    Anyone else "Keen for Kong"?
    I really, really want to see this film. I've been avoiding looking at trailers or ads. I don't want any preconceptions. If a man can bring Middle Earth to life, then why not a giant pissed off ape. Wow this feels..... good.

Da Worfster
  • 11-22-2005, 06:31 AM
    Kam
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Worf101
    I really, really want to see this film. I've been avoiding looking at trailers or ads. I don't want any preconceptions. If a man can bring Middle Earth to life, then why not a giant pissed off ape. Wow this feels..... good.

Da Worfster

same here. i was really praying they'd do a simultaneous release on the imax, but alas... 'tis not to be. i saw the last trailer and immediately was pissed at myself for not turning away, they're really showing a LOT in the trailer that i dont want to see. i now avert mine eyes whenever it appears to avoid ruining anything else. the coolest thing, is its not modernized, but set in the '30s. and that andy serkis, wow. he was phenomenal as gollum, and looks like he's going to do another unbelievable job as kong.

have chills already.
  • 11-22-2005, 10:47 AM
    paul_pci
    I'm very keen and can't wait. I have been checking out the trailers, and I don't feel like I've ruined anything by that. And yes, I agree that the LOTR trilogy gave Jackson mounds of credibility. I do hope it shows on IMAX; is there any official word on that?
  • 11-22-2005, 10:52 AM
    GMichael
    IMAX Kong huh? With surround sound & LFE? How about the bad breath? Now that would be great. But a heck of a clean-up after half the crowd pisses their pants.
  • 11-22-2005, 10:59 AM
    L.J.
    I'll be going to see this one. This kinda stuff is my fav.
  • 11-22-2005, 11:21 AM
    Kam
    Quote:

Originally Posted by paul_pci
    I'm very keen and can't wait. I have been checking out the trailers, and I don't feel like I've ruined anything by that. And yes, I agree that the LOTR trilogy gave Jackson mounds of credibility. I do hope it shows on IMAX; is there any official word on that?

right now its just harry potter on the imax, with a re-release of polar express 3d early december.
  • 11-22-2005, 01:52 PM
    paul_pci
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Kam
    right now its just harry potter on the imax, with a re-release of polar express 3d early december.

Okay; my girlfriend is going to drag me to the new Potter film, but I don't know if we'll be catching the IMAX version.
  • 11-22-2005, 03:31 PM
    Defshep
    Can't wait to see this one. The purists and critics alike are beginning to grumble about it being too long and way over budget. To some, the 1933 version will always be THE King Kong, so they're ready to hate it before it opens. I actually bought the '76 version of Kong today, which most people think sucks. I had the '33 version in my hand, but I couldn't make myself buy it. I respect what a huge acheivement it was for the time, but I honestly don't think I'd ever watch it more than once. I saw it as a kid, and I remember laughing at it then. I realize this may be blasphemy, but I liked the '76 remake better - mostly because of fond memories from my childhood. I thought Rick Baker in a gorilla suit worked pretty well for the most part. Peter Jackson's King Kong should be fantastic.
  • 11-22-2005, 04:48 PM
    topspeed
    The trailer's look great. This will be Jack Black's first dramatic role (black comedies don't count) that I can recall, but everyone always says comedy is harder than drama anyway. Can't wait, although I would have loved Scarlett Johansson as the damsel in distress.
  • 11-22-2005, 11:39 PM
    paul_pci
    Quote:

Originally Posted by topspeed
    The trailer's look great. This will be Jack Black's first dramatic role (black comedies don't count) that I can recall, but everyone always says comedy is harder than drama anyway. Can't wait, although I would have loved Scarlett Johansson as the damsel in distress.

Let's face it. We'd love Scarlett Johansson if she just walked across the screen doing nothing in particular.
  • 11-23-2005, 12:42 AM
    Defshep
    Quote:

Let's face it. We'd love Scarlett Johansson if she just walked across the screen doing nothing in particular.

Agreed. By the way, The Island is out soon on DVD...
  • 11-23-2005, 11:48 AM
    topspeed
    Quote:

Truer words were never before said.
  • 11-23-2005, 12:21 PM
    eisforelectronic
    Quote:

Yes, she was fantastic in "Eight Legged Freaks"

Yes, I am keen for Kong.
  • 11-24-2005, 01:16 AM
    paul_pci
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Defshep
    Agreed. By the way, The Island is out soon on DVD...

I loved The Island and can't wait for the DVD. My Velodyne is going to get quite the work out.
  • 11-24-2005, 04:17 PM
    Defshep
    Quote:

I loved The Island and can't wait for the DVD. My Velodyne is going to get quite the work out.

You're right. Probably the best flick of the summer that nobody saw. It should rock home theaters!
  • 12-01-2005, 02:10 AM
    Defshep
    I just watched Mighty Joe Young (the 1998 version), and it was amazing how lifelike the little big guy was, and that was seven years ago! Of course, Charlize Theron was another good reason to watch the Disney flick. I can't wait to see the BIG GUY in a couple of weeks. Unfortunately, my preteen and teenage kids don't really seem extremely interested in Kong, which could mean trouble for the box office take. Hopefully, even heavier marketing will kick in the next couple of weeks. With the spectacular LOTR trilogy, Peter Jackson deserves lots of success from his dream project. I've definitely gone Kong-Krazy! I like Naomi Watts in the trailers, still not sure about Jack Black and Adrien Brody...Just glad Jackson didn't put a bunch of Dawson's Creek / OC rejects in the film to attract the kids. Makes me think he has a particular audience in mind, US!
  • 12-01-2005, 05:41 AM
    Defshep
    Just talked to a friend of mine who's a Nashville based entertainment reporter / movie critic. On his call-in radio report this morning he called King Kong "the number one movie of the year"! He got to see a critic's screening in New York (where else?) last night. This guy's not even necessarily a Pete Jackson / Kong fan! Really excited now!
  • 12-01-2005, 06:23 AM
    Worf101
    God bless you Def!!!
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Defshep
    Just talked to a friend of mine who's a Nashville based entertainment reporter / movie critic. On his call-in radio report this morning he called King Kong "the number one movie of the year"! He got to see a critic's screening in New York (where else?) last night. This guy's not even necessarily a Pete Jackson / Kong fan! Really excited now!

You just made my friggin year!!!! Oh I'm all moist now.... talk amongst yourselves... I'm too ferklempt...

Da "Waiting on THE King" Worfster :D
  • 12-01-2005, 06:27 AM
    GMichael
    Quote:

You just made my friggin year!!!! Oh I'm all moist now.... talk amongst yourselves... I'm too ferklempt...

Da "Waiting on THE King" Worfster :D

You are.. rrrrr... uh....

nevermind
  • 12-01-2005, 06:39 AM
    Worf101
    Ahem...
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GMichael
    Moist?

MY EYES you Cretin!!!!! I got's two of em!!!!!!! Git your mind out of the gutter for half a minute.... LOL...

Da Worfster :D
  • 12-01-2005, 06:39 AM
    Worf101
    Yes???!!!
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GMichael
    You are.. rrrrr... uh....

nevermind

Something on your mind? Stuck in your craw? Out man.. out with it!!! Can't a Klingon cross-reference SNL quotes and cartoon quotes around here on the same day??? Hmmm you got sumthin against me channeling old jewish ladies from Brooklyn who smell like Jean Nate and Gold Bod powder??? Hmm hhmmmmm??? Eh??????

• 12-01-2005, 06:40 AM
    GMichael
    Quote:

Something on your mind? Stuck in your craw? Out man.. out with it!!! Can't a Klingon cross-reference SNL quotes and cartoon quotes around here on the same day??? Hmmm you got sumthin against me channeling old jewish ladies from Brooklyn who smell like Jean Nate and Gold Bod powder??? Hmm hhmmmmm??? Eh??????

Moist?
  • 12-01-2005, 06:45 AM
    GMichael
    Snicker snicker, chuckle laugh...... snicker.
  • 12-01-2005, 06:54 AM
    GMichael
    Quote:

MY EYES you Cretin!!!!! I got's two of em!!!!!!! Git your mind out of the gutter for half a minute.... LOL...

I like my mind in the gutter. It's happy there. heh heh heh, moist, hahahaha...
  • 12-01-2005, 10:57 AM
    Defshep
    More on Kong. Jimmy Carter (not the president, my movie critic pal) also gushed about the amazing creatures on Skull Island. From Kong's battle with three(!) t-rexes, to giant slug-like creatures feasting on sailors, to spiders/scorpions (he was vague on exactly what they were), and apparently even vampire bats! He went on to say that going in, he wasn't expecting much. By the end of this three-hour epic, however, he was won over by the effects, the performances by Watts, Brody, and Black, and that Jackson's film really portrayed just how lonely Kong was.
    Maybe this is information overload, but I thought you KK fans would wanna know. I know this 35 year old kid did!