Kam

alright this is ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Movi...eut/index.html

so NOW he's releasing the original version of the star wars movies????????????????already am trying to sell my crappy version of the trilogy but i doubt i'll get anything for it now that this new release will contain BOTH versions like everyone wanted and demanded in the first place!!!! argh!!!

someone correct me if i'm wrong, but i swore he said this was going to be the ONLY and definitive version of the movies released on dvd's. that he would NOT release the theatrical versions again because the movies were not what he wanted them to be. you know what... fine, i bought it, hook, line and sinker. what he meant was.... i need to milk as much money out of these originals as i can. so i'll just say i'm never gonna release the theatrical versions and force everyone to buy the crap versions and then... after a couple years, i'll see how much demand there is for the "vision" i dont want you to see, and then if there's enough, i'll let you see it. because its not really about creating a vision and sticking with it as much as it is about marketing that vision and selling it. as a friend said, 'well that's capitalism for ya.'
    /create

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Whatever...I'll wait for them to hit HD-DVD or BluRay.

Before anyone complains, did anyone really believe the recent DVD version would be the last time you ever bought Star Wars? Didn't think so. We should accept this as good news - I'm guessing Lucas had a change of heart and is listening to popular demand. Sure he's gonna make some money off this, but at this stage of the game, probably not much more than he would not re-releasing the re-releases anyway. We're so quick to judge. Just enjoy the fact we're getting what we wanted.

Lucas can do what he wants...I will buy what I wish. The Greedo scene was the only one that bothered me...maybe the young Anakin ghost, too...not a big deal. I actually prefer the ESB mods.

As long as they fix the audio glitches in "Star Wars" I'll be happy.

Disappointing, but not surprising. It's just more of the same thing I've come to expect from all of them. First comes the one disk in DD. Then the DTS release (not applicable here). Then comes the 2 disk with all the extras in DD. Then DTS again. Let's milk it for all it's worth guys. Can we put a trilogy together? Maybe all 6 in one pack. Maybe all 6 with special deleted scenes. Then all 6 with deleted scenes with sprinkles on top? What's next? A cheery? A special bow? I for one could use the one with extra lubrication.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar

uuhhh...GMichael...

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Disappointing, but not surprising. It's just more of the same thing I've come to expect from all of them. First comes the one disk in DD. Then the DTS release (not applicable here). Then comes the 2 disk with all the extras in DD. Then DTS again. Let's milk it for all it's worth guys. Can we put a trilogy together? Maybe all 6 in one pack. Maybe all 6 with special deleted scenes. Then all 6 with deleted scenes with sprinkles on top? What's next? A cheery? A special bow? I for one could use the one with extra lubrication.
    ...are you sure you're discussing the Star Wars rerelease issue--or have you been into the jello-wrestling threads again??

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    ...are you sure you're discussing the Star Wars rerelease issue--or have you been into the jello-wrestling threads again??
    My mind has runamuck!
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Oh geez, Lucas is now officially the neighborhood crack dealer!

I remember in interviews, he kept saying that the original versions did not "exist" anymore, so he could not release them even if he wanted to. Now that he's sold millions of the boxed sets, he now decides to release the discs individually. And what better way to sell those individual discs than to get as many of the boxed set owners as possible to repurchase the entire trilogy as individual discs? But, aside from fixing the audio problems with Star Wars, or maybe slipping in those missing scenes with Biggs, what else would spur the addicts to buy yet again? Yup, do the impossible! Magically conjure up what did not "exist" two years ago!

Gotta hand it to Lucas, the man knows how to print money! He's providing the fans what they've been demanding (of course, they were demanding that the original versions get released with the 2004 DVD set), but you've only got until December 31st, then they disappear forever!

Yup, you'll see me in line on the Tuesday that these titles are released. Just don't acknowledge me if you see me, please! Addicts prefer to stay private.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Kam
    yeah, that's what bugs me wooch, not that i am so naive to think that everyone out there is just trying to make a buck, but flat out deception like this really irks me, especially from someone who was so influential on myself and SO many younger (relatively speaking) filmmakers out there with star wars being a HUGE factor for all of us. then he says the theatrical versions dont exist as you said, and so we all figure, alright, well if the ONLY way to see the original star wars is with the crap added on, then i guess i'll have to deal with it and just pretend i didnt see greedo shoot first. now of course, the theatrical versions do 'exist' just in time to make more money... wow.

so far, the only studio who has my respect has been new line and how they handled he LOTR releases. that was the right way to do it.

so do you think the theatrical star wars will be available on the newer hd dvd's or is this just another marketing scam where this is the ONLY chance to ever buy these movies... until lucasfilm gets in with either bluray or hddvd and then they'll be available again as the ONLY chance ever to buy them?
    /create

I'll wait for the HD versions as well, that's for sure...

at least I think I will...

maybe....

of course, if Wooch saved a spot in line for me, I'd have to get it. Hey, that's what friends do.

OK, I admit that the Greedo scene bugs the crap out of me. Always has. It completely changed Han Solo's character (I'm serious about this) so I'll probably buy it just so I can see it they way it should be. That and fix the flippin' sound!

But like I said, I'll wait for the HD version anyway.

Probably.

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Available only through Dec.31? Sounds like the Disney Plan. He'll roll these out every 5 years or so from now until doomsday. I don't think I've ever had to start my Christmas list in May.

Wooch do you have any proof that George Lucas does crack? What justification do you have for making a statement like that if I am not able to make statement about peoples hearing?

George Lucas' hearing is cracked?! What is the world coming to?

Quote Originally Posted by superpanavision70mm
    Wooch do you have any proof that George Lucas does crack? What justification do you have for making a statement like that if I am not able to make statement about peoples hearing?
    Hey Misterhearingtestvaledictorian -

PLEASE get your accusations straight! I would NEVER accuse Mr. Lucas of DOING crack! C'mon, you think I engage in rumormongering or unsubstantiated claims?

But, if you want proof, you might want to visit the Presidio or Golden Gate Park and hangout with some of the "locals." They'll set you straight, and I have absolutely no reason to doubt anything that they might say about drugs, since they are the experts, not me. Now, please excuse me cuz I got a lot of poppies to water ... PEACE!

* The above entitled post does not reflect the views of Audioreview.com or its sponsors. The claims made therein were intended for noncommercial transmission and for entertainment use only. Any other use or rebroadcast of the above entitled post is strictly prohibited without the expressed written consent of Woochifer, BALCO, and the Haight Street Clinic. And any retransmission of the above entitled entertainment materials would not be a smart thing to do anyway, trust me. The proprietors of this establishment appreciate your continued support, and please drive home safely!
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

Quote Originally Posted by Kam
    yeah, that's what bugs me wooch, not that i am so naive to think that everyone out there is just trying to make a buck, but flat out deception like this really irks me, especially from someone who was so influential on myself and SO many younger (relatively speaking) filmmakers out there with star wars being a HUGE factor for all of us. then he says the theatrical versions dont exist as you said, and so we all figure, alright, well if the ONLY way to see the original star wars is with the crap added on, then i guess i'll have to deal with it and just pretend i didnt see greedo shoot first. now of course, the theatrical versions do 'exist' just in time to make more money... wow.

so far, the only studio who has my respect has been new line and how they handled he LOTR releases. that was the right way to do it.

so do you think the theatrical star wars will be available on the newer hd dvd's or is this just another marketing scam where this is the ONLY chance to ever buy these movies... until lucasfilm gets in with either bluray or hddvd and then they'll be available again as the ONLY chance ever to buy them?
    I just read on The Digital Bits and USA Today that the original theatrical versions are going to use master sources were "state of the art for 1993" and will only include Dolby Surround 2.0 soundtracks. So unfortunately, it doesn't look like it will fix any problems with previous versions. (The Special Editions in 1997 entailed a lot of restoration with both the film and the audio) I remember that home video release of the original trilogy from the mid-90s, and all the TV ads were saying that this was the "last time" that those versions would ever be available. Looks like the sources won't be much better than what Lucasfilm used for that release.

I don't doubt that this could be the last time that these versions will ever be available ON DVD. Lucas does not like the DVD format and has said so in interviews. One of the primary reasons that he released the 2004 DVD set in the first place was because Lucas wanted to stay a step ahead of what he saw as a pending epidemic of video piracy. At least, then his company would make some money from the DVDs rather than pirates. He's had his eye on HD for a while, and apparently there's still a lot of material in the vaults (deleted scenes with Biggs and elsewhere on Tatooine, for example) that did not make the 2004 DVD release.

I have a feeling that any majorly upgraded verson of Star Wars on home video will go with the HD formats. (then again, there are rumors of a new boxed set spanning all six movies that would coincide with the original film's 30th anniversary next year) I don't know if the theatrical versions will go HD. If it turns out that Lucasfilm uses an old master source, then it might not matter whether the theatrical versions make it to Blu-ray or HD-DVD.

Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    of course, if Wooch saved a spot in line for me, I'd have to get it. Hey, that's what friends do.
    You got it. I'll be the one with the paper bag over my head! Just don't talk to me too much if you value your reputation!

Quote Originally Posted by paul_pci
    George Lucas' hearing is cracked?! What is the world coming to?
    Good one! You obviously get it.
    Last edited by Woochifer; 05-04-2006 at 05:41 PM.
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Well my attitude towards all these movies being released multiple times is STOP BUYING THEM!!! If people would vote with their wallets then the DVD companies would come out with only one version -- The supreme ultimate 4 disc directors cut with the best technology available today and that would be the ONLY version that comes out or would need to come out.

Star Wars to put it bluntly just sin;t a GOOD ENOUGH movie to warrant this hoopla every single time. It is lousy Science Fiction --- don't get me wrong I have Empire Strikes Back rated very highly -- it is "Cowboys and Indians" in space and models a bit off of Tolkien's Lord of the RIngs (dark force -- ring force) but they did this on tape and on Laserdisc.

Frankly I am going to try not to buy anymore DVD's. I am now using BitTorrent. Downloaded Munich. Sure may not have the quality (though I have not checked because I'm in Korea and the laptop is all I have).

But umm it sure was nice to download about 9 seasons of Doctor Who (Including the current season which is only airing in Britain - PS it's miles better than Eccleston's era so far largely due to much more money for visual effects and it shows, and of course David Tennant and bring back Elizabeth Sladen and K9). Also can get most all of Star Trek TNG series etc. No discs to become scratched and no space being wasted -- all fits on a nice $150.00 250gig hard drive.

Hell I'd even pay for this kind of accessibility but until Canada changes the law I'm getting as much as I possibly can.

I don't even need to pay for cable anymore. Illegal in the US? If EVERYONE on the planet with a computer would go onto this site -- ROTS OF RUCK suing everyone. And just tell the governments to suck an egg. Will it ruin the creativity of the industry? No. The people in it for the creativity of making good film art will go on -- Hollywood crapfest blockbusters might lose money -- not missing much.

Feel the Tempo eisforelectronic's Avatar
    I will gladly buy anything Mister Lucas stamps with the Star Wars logo!
    Audio Physic Avanti IV w/upgraded mids and crossover
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva XPA-3
    Peachtree Audio iNova
    Rega Brio-R
    Rega RP-1
    Sony PS3
    BAT VK-D5se
    Totem Acoustic Dreamcatchers

Quote Originally Posted by RGA

Star Wars to put it bluntly just sin;t a GOOD ENOUGH movie to warrant this hoopla every single time. It is lousy Science Fiction --- don't get me wrong I have Empire Strikes Back rated very highly -- it is "Cowboys and Indians" in space and models a bit off of Tolkien's Lord of the RIngs (dark force -- ring force) but they did this on tape and on Laserdisc.

But I like Science Fiction, & Cowboys, & space.

Still, the one copy I bought is enough. I feel no need to keep buying every upgrade that comes along.

Kam
    Well my attitude towards all these movies being released multiple times is STOP BUYING THEM!!! If people would vote with their wallets then the DVD companies would come out with only one version -- The supreme ultimate 4 disc directors cut with the best technology available today and that would be the ONLY version that comes out or would need to come out.
    absolutely, but its kind of hard to make this judgement call when you dont know that another version is coming out. i didnt buy the one disc versions of LOTR, i waited for the 4 disc version because they announced it and i was willing to wait to get the extended version. i would have waited for this version of star wars had i known, but lucas explicitly said THEY DONT EXIST. that's seems a pretty clear route to then go ahead and buy the ONLY version available if i want to see this movie at all. so i totally agree, dont buy the crappy version of a disc WHEN you know the better version is coming out. that's WHY these companies release multiple versions waaaay down the line and never announce them, so you CANT vote with your wallets but are forced (if you want to see them) to buy the second version. new line (as far as i know) is the only studio that announced before hand. well i guess universal did it with Kong, but those were simultaneous releases of both the 1 and 2 disc version on the same date. its this pretty scummy, under-handed tactics, like lucas's ONLY-version-ever type rhetoric that screws everyone over.
    /create

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Well Kam you're right. They often bring out a crappy version first you buy it and then a few months later they come out with a version you much prefer. And yes I have been caught as well. I bought the first One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and the first Shawshank Redemption only to sell them off to get the new versions.

I can forgive myself a bit since these were very early releases on DVD and I can say well maybe they just rushed them to get the DVD market going. But after seeing the 3rd or 4th Halloween, Exorcist, and Terminator 2 it is now clear that they are just milking people.

Now I just wait. Any movie that is not a supreme cut of some sort is not getting my money. And if I suspect they will never come out with a supreme cut -- then I still wait because SOONER OR LATER it will be in the $9.00 bin especially if it is a major blockbuster. Indeed go to Blockbuster (at least in Canada) and they sell off all their rental copies. Everyone else is paying $25.00 for Crash while I get Crash AND Kinsey for $11.84 total for both. And best of all if I trade them to the guy who runs the used shop a couple blocks away he will give me $15 for the both of them.

That aside my point was that people need to start getting together in big numbers and stop the manufacturers dictating to the public what they want us to want. We're suppose to tell them what we really want. And since we all want certain things then it all should be on there. Every sound mode available PERIOD on every movie -- WS and Pan and Scan option, subtitles and hearing impaired information, every blooper real behind the scenes and all the other crap that some people want. And none of this for the first 8 weeks it's $30.00 and then it's $11.50. No one price for EVERY movie. $10.00 or whatever but none of this $45.00 for the Seventh Samurai but $5.99 for Strange Days.

The main reason I have not touched Kill Bill is because I know it will come out as a one box movie. And then I bet when I see the price I will laugh at the absurdity of it and I will wait. Pulp Fiction was $29.99 because it was the special director's edition yada yada and now it's $14.00. So much fo that. My attitude is that they ripped me off enough over the years. Schindler's List box set came out at $74.99 and I bought it. 1 month and 2 days later it was $30.00. Future Shop has a price protection plan of one month. SO BitTorent is my leveler.

Kam
    yeah, i'm pretty much always on ebay now and the secondhand market for dvd's. most of the ones i'm looking for are discontinued or older ones that circuitcity/bestbuy/etc wouldnt carry anyways.
    there was one website, i cant remember which, which was a tradein website, you listed the dvd's you had to trade on the site, other members did the same and you just mailed them in and made lists and got others from people who didnt want their dvd's. kind of like a Netflix setup, but to own for as long as you want and then trade back in or whatever. never signed up for it
    /create

Well Kam you're right. They often bring out a crappy version first you buy it and then a few months later they come out with a version you much prefer. And yes I have been caught as well. I bought the first One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and the first Shawshank Redemption only to sell them off to get the new versions.

I can forgive myself a bit since these were very early releases on DVD and I can say well maybe they just rushed them to get the DVD market going. But after seeing the 3rd or 4th Halloween, Exorcist, and Terminator 2 it is now clear that they are just milking people.

Now I just wait. Any movie that is not a supreme cut of some sort is not getting my money. And if I suspect they will never come out with a supreme cut -- then I still wait because SOONER OR LATER it will be in the $9.00 bin especially if it is a major blockbuster. Indeed go to Blockbuster (at least in Canada) and they sell off all their rental copies. Everyone else is paying $25.00 for Crash while I get Crash AND Kinsey for $11.84 total for both. And best of all if I trade them to the guy who runs the used shop a couple blocks away he will give me $15 for the both of them.

That aside my point was that people need to start getting together in big numbers and stop the manufacturers dictating to the public what they want us to want. We're suppose to tell them what we really want. And since we all want certain things then it all should be on there. Every sound mode available PERIOD on every movie -- WS and Pan and Scan option, subtitles and hearing impaired information, every blooper real behind the scenes and all the other crap that some people want. And none of this for the first 8 weeks it's $30.00 and then it's $11.50. No one price for EVERY movie. $10.00 or whatever but none of this $45.00 for the Seventh Samurai but $5.99 for Strange Days.

The main reason I have not touched Kill Bill is because I know it will come out as a one box movie. And then I bet when I see the price I will laugh at the absurdity of it and I will wait. Pulp Fiction was $29.99 because it was the special director's edition yada yada and now it's $14.00. So much fo that. My attitude is that they ripped me off enough over the years. Schindler's List box set came out at $74.99 and I bought it. 1 month and 2 days later it was $30.00. Future Shop has a price protection plan of one month. SO BitTorent is my leveler.
    That's right, you're in Korea right now! How's that gig working out?

Anyway, I think it's all simple supply and demand. Since DVDs are not really scarce commodities (unless they're out of print or a limited edition), it all comes down to how best to stimulate demand. New releases will always have the highest demand at the outset, and they're priced accordingly with an MSRP of $30 for a DVD that might not include any supplements or DTS soundtracks or what not.

Once the initial wave subsides, then the studios can try to stimulate demand by either lowering the price or reissuing the title as a special edition. Judging by how inconsistent the re-release patterns have been, I don't think anyone has come up with the magical formula for how to best stimulate consumer demand.

As I've pointed out before, not all re-releases add value to previous versions. Plenty of discs get reissued as stripped down movie-only editions, or simply a repackaged version of the first release (sometimes AFTER a special edition already came out). At least in those cases, the price also gets reduced. I've seen some of them at Best Buy selling for as little as $5. The worst examples IMO are titles like The Fast and the Furious and The Bourne Identity which had their DTS soundtracks stripped out and replaced with sequel previews. Despite otherwise minimal changes, those re-releases were priced like new releases and labeled something like "Tricked Out Edition" or whatever.

Other studios like Fox constantly go back and forth with their reissues. For example, the current version of Alien is a budget priced single-disc edition, whereas just over two years ago, that title was released to much fanfare as a special edition two-disc set with a DTS soundtrack. Die Hard was originally released as a two-disc special edition, then it was reissued as a budget priced movie-only edition, then it got re-released as a two-disc set again, and I think that the title has gone back to a budget-priced single-disc edition yet again. Hard to keep track of all this because stores might still have copies of any of these versions sitting on the shelves.

Anyway, the bottomline is that you need to be aware of what's out there, and the tendencies of particular studios. You can always find a less expensive disc later if you're willing to wait. But, better editions down the line are no guarantee, particularly if the first release was already a multi-disc set.
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

Rep points are my LIFE!! Groundbeef's Avatar

Again?

I for 1 will not be buying the "New" release. I have watched them 2 times ( in the last couple of years). Frankly, I am a bit tired of all the hoopla. I can remember watching the original in the theater with my Aunt. I cant remember how old I was, but it was one of the first movies I had seen in a theater. It was that experience that is memorable. The movie now, is not so much. The effects are way dated, the dialoge is horrible, and the acting sub-par.

It was groundbreaking at the time, and the technology used then has affected just about every aspect of moviemaking since then. But it doesn't warrent all the attention now.

Thats my $.02

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Woochifer.

Korea is quite interesting so far but I've only been here for about 6 weeks. It's fascinating to live in a completely different culture but one that has enough reminders of home to keep sane.

The DVD thing I see dissapearing completely at some point in the not too distant future. Hard drives are getting bigger and bigger (seens some terabyte drives lately) and you know that within 5 years you will probably be able to buy a 250 terrabyte drive for $150.00.

That's a lot of DVD's to be stored. Stores are selling songs for .99 that you can download and movies will be the same(more money but same idea). There will be no excuse for different prices on movies because the physical product won't exist. You download your movie right to your computer - with one cord that hooke to your big ass wide screen on wall tv. Indeed, BitTorrent is already this but free.

Groundbeef
    As for Star Wars I should not have dogged it like I did but for me it's just not that important which of the versions I have (I have none but I've seen them all). I personally prefer the original undoctored versions of Star Wars and E.T. but at least Spielberg gave you both.

Star Wars and Empire were both very good films -- Return of the Jedi for me was a toy Ewok selling excercise and actors going through the motions of "are we finally done yet." Episode 1 and II were two of the very worst films I have seen in 20 years. Episode 1 I shut off it was so hideously bad and the second one had some of the most heavey handed idiotic dialogue I have seen -- and they're absolutely NO FUN.

Part of the charm that makes this kind of action sci-fi work is the tongue in cheek nature of the characters. In Star Wars and Empire you have C3PO/R2D2 as the bumbling yet comical Abott and Costello routine along with tough guy yet incredibly lucky and funny Han Solo. Luke Skywalker is the straight man to everything else and is arguably the least interesting character in the entire trilogy. It works in spite of its story because it doesn;t take itself seriously. This is the same problem I had with Lord of the Rings which is essentially the exact same kind of story based - the dark side of the ring or FORCE corrupts absolutely yada yada and they drag it out endlessly to what is the obvious from the first five minutes conclusion. LOTR also was a completely humourless preaching film that throws enough action and special effects at the viewer to help pass the time but is completely lightweight Hollywood fare.

I read debates from people about Star Wars versus LOTR which I find so ammusing. Empire more than any was smart enough to know that this stuff is popcorn cheesy stuff -- have fun make a good shootemup have some laughs and don't drown it in political verbosity -- and most of all hire Harrison Ford. LOTR's most interesting character was the CGI team. And no that's not a good thing.

Kam
    The saga, as they say, continues....

From imdb:

Despite earlier reports that Lucasfilm would be re-releasing the original unedited theatrical versions of the first three Star Wars movies on DVD, it now turns out that they will be copied from the laserdiscs of the films released in the mid'90s, formatted for the conventional TV screen and not wide-screen "letterbox" versions. The revelation has provoked anger among Star Wars fans, expressed on such Internet sites as www.thedigitalbits.com, and www.hometheaterforum.com. VideoBusiness.com quoted Lucasfilm spokesman John Singh as saying, "We hoped that by releasing the original movies as a bonus disc, it would be a way to give the fans something that is fun. We certainly didn't want to be become a source of frustration for fans."
    /create

Thread Information