M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar

Alright Gents, and Gentettes what did you watch this weekend?

I thought that I would start an ongoing post on what movies everyone watched this weekend. As a avid hometheater hobbiest, and an even more film(or video) lover, I watch perhaps 3-5 movies a week. This weekend I watch the Wiz, which I thought was pretty damn good except for that no singing Diana Ross as Dorothy(Where is that even more B!tchy Stephanie Mills when you need her). Even though the premise of the movie was built around the Wizard of OZ, the production had a very profound ethnic feel that I really liked. I thought the musical arraingments were top notch, as were production values. When I first viewed this as a movie, I thought it was low budget, and sucked. Then I saw an interview with Nipsey Russell, and Qincy Jones. They stated the director was looking for the effect of filming a play(which is what this really is, a play being filmed). Coming from that perpsective, I found the film genious.

The league of Distinguished Gentlemen was another I caught, and sans some sick looking CGI, I liked it alot. I will being doing a review on it shortly.

So, what did you watch this weekend??
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar

family favorite

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    I thought that I would start an ongoing post on what movies everyone watched this weekend. As a avid hometheater hobbiest, and an even more film(or video) lover, I watch perhaps 3-5 movies a week. This weekend I watch the Wiz, which I thought was pretty damn good except for that no singing Diana Ross as Dorothy(Where is that even more B!tchy Stephanie Mills when you need her). Even though the premise of the movie was built around the Wizard of OZ, the production had a very profound ethnic feel that I really liked. I thought the musical arraingments were top notch, as were production values. When I first viewed this as a movie, I thought it was low budget, and sucked. Then I saw an interview with Nipsey Russell, and Qincy Jones. They stated the director was looking for the effect of filming a play(which is what this really is, a play being filmed). Coming from that perpsective, I found the film genious.

The league of Distinguished Gentlemen was another I caught, and sans some sick looking CGI, I liked it alot. I will being doing a review on it shortly.

I was on the road quite a bit last week, but I did get to watch a family favorite with the wife and kids and some of the kids' friends - The Ghost and Mr. Chicken. I put this one in at least once or twice a year mostly over long weekends like Memorial Day. It has some great lines:

-"Do murder and calm go together?"
    -"Why don't you run up an alley and holler fish??!!!!"
    -"I believe that was the best pounded steak I ever had."
    -"My mama always said she would rather have good food than bad food any old day of the week."
    -"What is a guest speaker? Let me clarify. Who are you to be a guest speaker at this luncheon, Luther Heggs? Let me clarify. Thank you for having me."
    -"Attaboy Luther."

And how about the Psychic Occult Society of Rachel, Kansas?

Forum Regular

movies

just got my Planet of the Apes Evolution set from the DeepDiscountDVD sale, so got started on that. And Ju-On, the original Japanese version of the grudge. I really liked it. It was a very creepy sort of atmospheric horror movie.

Forum Regular
    On thanksgiving I watched the entire Alien Quadrilogy
    Also watched over the weekend was:
    The Wicker Man
    Don't Look Now
    Near Dark
    Chronicles of Riddick

But my subwoofer died also So none of it was the same.

Dead sub???!!!! Ouch!!!

Quote Originally Posted by spuppy517
    On thanksgiving I watched the entire Alien Quadrilogy
    Also watched over the weekend was:
    The Wicker Man
    Don't Look Now
    Near Dark
    Chronicles of Riddick

But my subwoofer died also So none of it was the same.
    What were you runnin' if I may ask? Are you gonna get it repaired or scrap it and "buy new".

As for what I watched over the weekend, nothing that TCM didn't provided.

"The Wild One" - Brando at his smarmiest.
    "Doctor Zhivago" - What a brilliantly directed masterpiece....

Other than occaisional down of football the only other thing I watched is HBO's vastly underated "The Wire". Amazing show, gritty, tough, and scary.

Da Worfster

Never had the heart to watch "Da Wiz"

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible

Just the thought of that no talent hack Ross forcing Stephanie Mills (a distant relative of mine's by the by) out of role of her life because she had the name at the time was/is sad. There's nothing sadder than a aged Diva who's stayed too long at the fair.

As for "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" I loved that movie. It's a shame it didn't do well in the theatres but... I think it's shelf life as a rental though, has been extraordinary. Great soundtrack and when I reviewed it here about 5 months ago.. I loved it.

Da Worfster

eqm
    Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    As for "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" I loved that movie. It's a shame it didn't do well in the theatres but... I think it's shelf life as a rental though, has been extraordinary. Great soundtrack and when I reviewed it here about 5 months ago.. I loved it.
    i think you and i were the only ones to like that movie. it's been pretty much universally panned by people both on and off this message board, but i enjoyed it, definitely better than van helsing or underworld.

spidey 2 comes out today...so i hope to hear some reviews fellas!

Forum Regular

league of.........

I've never seen it, but then again, you two are the first people I've heard recommend it, maybe I'll have to give it a chance

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by agtpunx40
    I've never seen it, but then again, you two are the first people I've heard recommend it, maybe I'll have to give it a chance
    Make that three, give it a chance.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Kam

an old school one

Sir TTT might be the only one who's heard of this one, but, to paraphrase Skinner.. Prove me wrong children... prove me wrong...
    Only had time to watch one, Man With a Camera by Dziga Vertov, the very first (i think) documentary movie ever made. russian dude who made the first movie without title cards (back in the silent era, the cards that came up with the dialogue of direction in between shots) no subtitles, entirely to music (at the time to a set orchestra that played live as the people watched the movie) about Moscow. You even see him carrying around his strangely versatile 35 all over the place in some dicey spots. Pretty freakin phenomenal seeing it now, let alone thinking it was made back in 1929.
    Highly reccomended for film buffs, might be a touch boring for the general enthusiast, but if ya wanna see film history in the making, check it out.

and i didnt dislike TLOXG so much as i just couldn't turn off that nagging voice in my head, NO not that one, the "logic one." And yes i CAN turn it off, when the movie is engrossing and entertaining enough that i just cant help but be drawn in, but there were just so many glaring things of TLOXG that i didn't enjoy it at all. although it was cool that Nemo was an indian dude and they didn't give him a 7/11 aboard the Nautilus.

peace
    k2

With all of the family together (plus kids), someone had the brilliant idea of going to the movies the day after Thanksgiving (otherwise known as Hell on Earth Day anywhere near a shopping center). The idea was to take all the kids to The Incredibles, which I've seen but was willing to see again. Well, darn the luck, National Treasure just happens to be playing at the same theater at the exact same time. So my sister's and brother-in-laws in their infinite wisdom decide they'll go see that and the kids can go see The Incredibles. Of course, since my kids are the youngest of the group, guess who gets to chaperone? All of them. Alone.

Oh.

Joy.

I think you guys had more fun than I.

JSE
    Quote Originally Posted by eqm
    i think you and i were the only ones to like that movie. it's been pretty much universally panned by people both on and off this message board, but i enjoyed it, definitely better than van helsing or underworld.

spidey 2 comes out today...so i hope to hear some reviews fellas!

I saw it a while back and really liked it. Very cool movie.

JSE

Forum Regular
    I went to TLOXG (when it was in the theatres) with high hopes, But there were a lot of problems with the movie I didn't particularly care for. Just for example I thought Van Helsing's Mr. Hyde was much better than TLOXG's Hyde. Other than that my only problems with the movie were ... wtf are all these people? I vaguely knew who allan quartermaine was, and of course mina , but the guy with the painting?
    I guess a lot of peoples gripe with that movie is one I share, I went expecting to see Xmen, or even underworld, hulk etc, basically a superhero flick and got a movie where half the people in it were not fleshed out as characters. The audience either read the books the characters were based on or they had no f'n clue who the people were. I was a bit in the middle. The plot wasn't great, the bad guy was decent, but it just seemed to me the that the movie lacked character development and needed more direction.
    Underworld by comparison had a lot better character development. I watched the chronicles of riddick over the weekend, and I have my gripes about that movie as well (bought it and watched it 3 times but still....) but I'll just say I liked the movie but didn't realize that it would be similar to the matrix, in that you have to play the video game, watch the cartoon, watch pitch black etc to understand what was going on with the movie (incidentally, I haven't played the game or watched the cartoon ...yet...).

Unhappy That is a problem....

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanm
    I went to TLOXG (when it was in the theatres) with high hopes, But there were a lot of problems with the movie I didn't particularly care for. Just for example I thought Van Helsing's Mr. Hyde was much better than TLOXG's Hyde. Other than that my only problems with the movie were ... wtf are all these people? I vaguely knew who allan quartermaine was, and of course mina , but the guy with the painting?
    I guess a lot of peoples gripe with that movie is one I share, I went expecting to see Xmen, or even underworld, hulk etc, basically a superhero flick and got a movie where half the people in it were not fleshed out as characters. The audience either read the books the characters were based on or they had no f'n clue who the people were. I was a bit in the middle. The plot wasn't great, the bad guy was decent, but it just seemed to me the that the movie lacked character development and needed more direction.
    Underworld by comparison had a lot better character development. I watched the chronicles of riddick over the weekend, and I have my gripes about that movie as well (bought it and watched it 3 times but still....) but I'll just say I liked the movie but didn't realize that it would be similar to the matrix, in that you have to play the video game, watch the cartoon, watch pitch black etc to understand what was going on with the movie (incidentally, I haven't played the game or watched the cartoon ...yet...).
    I can't say much but that your response makes me see really, really old... I know all the characters in that film intimately. "20 Thousand Leagues Under the Sea" was the first Jules Verne book I'd read and the second book I'd ever read period. All those characters, Dorian Grey, Mr. Hyde, Capt. Nemo, Allan Quatermain even friggin Tom Sawyer were real to me as a child as were Conan The Barbarian, Doc Savage, The Shadow and other heroes from the "Pulps". I read, ate and slept this stuff, I guess that's why... other than the first Conan movie, I've been so disappointed when Hollywood has tackled the hero's of my past.

I'm sorry you couldn't connect with them, perhaps more character development for the uninitiated would have been best.

Da Worfster

Thread Information