M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar

Recent viewings..good stuff!

Over the last few day I have had some down time to sit and enjoy some of my most recent purchases.

Monty Python's Not the Messiah: This is essentially a musical version of The Life of Brian a 1979 film production by Python himself. This concert was just excellent in every way. It was funny, the singing first rate(all soloists and chorus), and the BBC Orchestra is in excellent form. Having reviewed The LIfe of Brian, I would say the musical adaptation was spot on the mark, and just as funny as the movie itself.

Quincy Jones: The 75th Birthday Celebration: Was off the charts in terms of just plain muscianship, and the quality of the arraingements presented. This gentleman impact on jazz and pop just cannot be overstated. The highlights of the night IMO, the voices of Patty Austin, Chaka Khan, Freda Payne,Ledisi and Rahsaan Patterson. The killer presentation of the night belongs to Naturally 7, a acapella group that was also its own band(with no instruments to be found). They were their own drums, bass, and their harmony sounded like a big band.

The Ray Harryhausen Blu ray collection: This included 7th Voyage of Sinbad, 20 Million Miles to Earth, It Came From Beneath the Sea, Earth vs. the Flying Saucers, and recently purchased Clash of the Titans(not the new dreck). I must admit it, I love stop action animation a lot, and Ray Harryhausen represents the best there is when it comes to this type of animation. Surprisingly, the qualiy of each Blu ray disc was quite good, way better than the DVD's I have of these movies.

The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus: A Terry Gilliam directed movie that much like all Gilliam productions, is quirky, weird, funny and entertaining all at the same time.

The Fantastic Mr. Fox: Is an excellent movie also based on stop action animation(and very clean at that), is extremely whitty, funny and entertaining. I saw this at the theater and thought it was great, but at home it plays even better. Thanks to this movie, I cuss a lot less, and have learned to use the word "cuss" to substitute for the actual cuss word.

The Happening: After viewing this movie, I just wanted to throw myself from a very tall building. This movie was just plain strange without any entertainment value whatsoever. I think M. Knight has thrown himself off a building, and has never recovered.

Star Wars:Clone Wars season one: is a animated version based on the Star Wars franchise. This was a blind buy, but I was so surprised that I enjoyed it, I ordered the other discs in this set.

All in all some very good viewing.
    Last edited by Sir Terrence the Terrible; 07-21-2010 at 06:56 AM.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Over the last few day I have had some down time to sit and enjoy some of my most recent purchases.

..All in all some very good viewing.
    Sorry, nothing there appeals to me. Oh for seven.

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Congrats Sir T!

You can never go wrong with Python IMO.........from now on I will call you Loretta......
    The Imaginarium was a good film but I could not help thinking while I watched that it was not the movie Gilliam wanted to make for obvious reasons.
    The Fantastic Mr.Fox is a solid movie that my kids (20 and 17) and I enjoyed very much.

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Glad that Harryhausen's work is still respected despite the huge advancements in technology. Add Jason and the Argonauts to that list, Sir T.

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Have not upgraded to Blue Ray but I do have Jason and the Argonauts and Earth vs. The Flying Saucers on laserdisc......... One of them contains an interview with Harry and he discusses several of the effects he used.

Quote Originally Posted by thekid
    Have not upgraded to Blue Ray but I do have Jason and the Argonauts and Earth vs. The Flying Saucers on laserdisc......... One of them contains an interview with Harry and he discusses several of the effects he used.
    Yep, I still have the 12" Laser as well, bought it at an incredible deal on eBay several years back in a lot package with tons of other great titles for a sweet deal.

Thanks man...

I plan on renting Fox and Dr. Parnisuss (sp) at some future date. I'll be getting the Harryhausen collection soon as I log off of here. I'm also curious about the Quincy Jones tribute. He's done a lot of things folks don't even know he did. As for "The Happening", bad script and worse acting killed this flick. Did like some of the imaginative ways folks offed themselves. The lion cage was hilarious.

Worf

Quote Originally Posted by dean_martin
    Glad that Harryhausen's work is still respected despite the huge advancements in technology. Add Jason and the Argonauts to that list, Sir T.
    Jason and the Argonauts should be here today.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    I plan on renting Fox and Dr. Parnisuss (sp) at some future date. I'll be getting the Harryhausen collection soon as I log off of here. I'm also curious about the Quincy Jones tribute. He's done a lot of things folks don't even know he did. As for "The Happening", bad script and worse acting killed this flick. Did like some of the imaginative ways folks offed themselves. The lion cage was hilarious.

Worf
    Worf, Quincy's tribute is worth every dime. This was a blind buy that I lucked upon, and have not regretted. I will definately see this concert over and over. There is just too much going on musically for one viewing.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

3LB
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I'd love to have the Harryhausen Collection, but where the hell is Valley Of Gwangi? My absolute favorite movie as a kid. I remember seeing this at the drive-in when it came out, IIRC, with one of the Planet Of The Apes movies.
    Repost this on your wall if you love Jesus.

Thread Information