Suspended

3 intense movies this weekend - Restrepo - Lost Tribe - 127 Hours

Over the weekend I saw a few movies.

Restrepo - This is a National Geographic Documentary of a group of soldiers in Afghanistan from deployment, through tragedy, and going home after a 1.5 year deployment for nothing. It is no wonder that the boys coming home can no longer function properly in society after what they have to go through over there. Good movie if you want to see how it truly is on a day to day basis and not just the blurbs on the news.

The Lost Tribe - My wife picked this one without reading the whole promo. We had no idea it was a cannibalistic tribe that ate the organs of people who stumbled upon their island by accident. Storyline also touches on how these prehistoric people are the real missing link which would blow the bible out of the water if the world found out that man wasn't really created on the 7th day. It also rips off several other movies and shows. First you think your watching a beginning episode of LOST as the islanders fly about the forest like the black smoke. Then you think your watching Predator as they show you the islanders vision of the castaways that landed. It will keep you on the edge of your seat until the end.

127 Hours - This one I have been waiting for after hearing the horrific story on the news. Franco, although becoming way over used in movies these days, pulls off a terrific performance in this film. I'm sure the real person it is about is proud of the portrayal of his ordeal. Great supporting role by Amber Tamblin (Joan of Arcadia) and a big surprise for me when I read the credits that his father was played by Treat Williams. I can't believe I didn't catch that. A few scenes are a little gory but actually not as bad as the Lost Tribe was. I highly recommend this one.

Thanks...

Thanks for the reviews. I saw parts of Restropo on the National Geographic channel. Being a vet I've of two minds when it comes to imbeded documentaries. I admire the men and women who serve but I don't know if we do them a service by showing them in the bright naked light of combat. Combat is a public thing but it's also a "private thing". Would I want the world to hear me cussing, swearing, sweating and possibly chitting while under fire? I don't think so....

As for "The Lost Tribe", I'll be putting in the cue even as we speak. 127hours is an interesting true tale but I don't know if the subject matter is enough for me to sit through 2 hours of intense torture.

Worf

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    127hours is an interesting true tale but I don't know if the subject matter is enough for me to sit through 2 hours of intense torture.

Worf
    Nah, don't think of it that way. It is a very psychological movie and the real "intense torture" is only the part where he cuts his arm off. There is about 45 minutes of good stuff that leads up to his getting stuck along with how he inventoried what he had to work with and all the clever things he did to survive.

I think it's all good stuff to know if one is ever in a similar situation, well not that similar but in a moment of desperation and in need of good survival techniques. As a military man, I'm sure you know much of this.

Thread Information