Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
    As with the week before, this week's episode remained an improvement over what we had over much of the second half of this season. But, it seems like wasted effort because I still can't get past that one basic question -- couldn't Philip Bauer had come up with a less convoluted way of recovering his grandson than plunging the U.S., Russia, and China to the verge of WWIII? Y'know, like wait until Marilyn and Josh got home, and abduct Josh at that point? 24 has made a lot of logical lapses in its six seasons, but in each of those instances, I never questioned why a character did what they did, even if the situations were laughably far fetched. With Philip Bauer, his actions now just make no sense.

As for next season, I read the same thing that topspeed did. The only carryovers to next season for sure will be Jack Bauer and the real-time premise. Everything else is a blank canvas, and not a moment too soon.

From this week's preview, it looks like our dear Chloe might be dyed this week. Sad, but even sadder that I might not even care at this point, given how poorly her character was utilized this season.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Rep points are my LIFE!! Groundbeef's Avatar
    Seasons over.....yeah.....whoooo hooooo....

Well, Karen, and Bill are out

Chloe will be out (probably)

Milo is dead. Nadia sucks. Rick Schroder is out.

I actually came to like Tom. VP is a tool.

It went out with a limp "pop" instead of a bang.

I about threw up when Milo's brother told Nadia "no, he's not a hero......HE WAS TOTALLY I LOVE WITH YOU......AWWWWWWWWW" Who writes this stuff? George Lucas?

And did anyone else do a double take when Chloe hobbled across the set before she "collapsed". It looked like she had to go REAL BAD. My wife and I rewound that and laughed out loud for that one.

Stick to the action. The drama just doesn't cut it. (Human love drama I should claify). For us mopes, this all takes place in "24" hours. With out any real vested emotion, I could care less if Nadia falls for 2 men in the space of 1 day. Whoop de doo.

And the Audrey thing? He shoulda just capped her, and then himself by the ocean.

What do you bet his old man was able to get off the rig, and into the dinghy? Remeber, he had the chip.....

OK, out of sheer morbid curiosity (and because Monday television stinks on ice), I decided to tune in a bit to the finale.

What I saw was the VP ordering a F18 strike on an off-shore oil rig 6 miles off the cost of LA. Right about when they said it was going to take 30 minutes to go down is when I turned it off and fired up the Wii. 30 MINUTES?!? Jack can get from Ontario to downtown LA in 10 minutes...by car no less(!)...but it takes 30 minutes to scramble a pair of F18's from...and take your pick here...naval bases in either San Diego, Miramar, or Long Beach. Yeah, right!

They either need to ditch real time or have some semblance of reality in their stories.

Like Beef noted, the best thing you say about this season is it's over.

It would have been better if the Grandson would have finished off the Grandpa and then Jack would have been force to take him under his wing and train him to be the next assassin for CTU. The rest was like trying to drink buttermilk, just nasty!!!! yuk . I bet the baby is Milos' lol and Chloe won't tell morris unitl its born.

F18's must have came from 29 Palms to take that long and to to get misslie lock was a joke. In 30 min they could have came from Fresno..lol
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by recoveryone
    It would have been better if the Grandson would have finished off the Grandpa and then Jack would have been force to take him under his wing and train him to be the next assassin for CTU. The rest was like trying to drink buttermilk, just nasty!!!! yuk . I bet the baby is Milos' lol and Chloe won't tell morris unitl its born.

F18's must have came from 29 Palms to take that long and to to get misslie lock was a joke. In 30 min they could have came from Fresno..lol
    C'mon guys - a Nuke was detonated earlier that day, the Russians were threatening war, and there was a known Chinese sub entering US waters...there's NO WAY there were any nearby F-18's already deployed in the region of the West Coasts most densely populated areas...

Why'd they even need F-18's? Couldn't we have launched a missile from somewhere?
    Holy loose ends - how did Presidents Palmer and Logan make out?

A couple of more thing about the F-18's.

1. I thought the days of "visual lock" were over in WWII. Isn't the next gen of warships able to fire and forget, not to mention not having to SEE the target. Isn't that what radar is for?

2. Why need 2? Why not send a squadren. I would have thought 1 with an Exocet Anti-Ship missle would have done the job.

And it was nice to see that Jack was able to scramble away. Not to mention that the F-18's never even SAW THEM ON RADAR. No mention of "hey, theres a chopper in the air. Should we take it out?" NAAAAA, lets just let it get away!

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    C'mon guys - a Nuke was detonated earlier that day, the Russians were threatening war, and there was a known Chinese sub entering US waters...there's NO WAY there were any nearby F-18's already deployed in the region of the West Coasts most densely populated areas...

Why'd they even need F-18's? Couldn't we have launched a missile from somewhere?
    Holy loose ends - how did Presidents Palmer and Logan make out?
    Not sure where your from Kex, but the places I said whould be the closes bases that would have F18's. 29 Palms is a Marine base in the desert about 200 miles away and Fresno is about 250 to the north in central Ca, an Navy reserve air base. Now if they would have sent F16's they would have come from March AFB in Moreno Valley Ca about 65 miles away. Now taking the time it took for those planes to travel that would the logical locations that they came from. MirMar is only 70 south of LA and it would only take 10min at Mach 1.5. But its 24 and I would love to be able to drive around So Cal in the time they do.
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

nightflier
    I think they had to lower the bar a bit, well actually a whole friggin lot, for the final two hours so that next season's show will actually be considered better.

This season was like having sex for 24 hours straight, except the only orgasm happened in the first hour... and the rest of it was, well, chaffing.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by recoveryone
    Not sure where your from Kex, but the places I said whould be the closes bases that would have F18's. 29 Palms is a Marine base in the desert about 200 miles away and Fresno is about 250 to the north in central Ca, an Navy reserve air base. Now if they would have sent F16's they would have come from March AFB in Moreno Valley Ca about 65 miles away. Now taking the time it took for those planes to travel that would the logical locations that they came from. MirMar is only 70 south of LA and it would only take 10min at Mach 1.5. But its 24 and I would love to be able to drive around So Cal in the time they do.
    Lol!!! I was totally being sarcastic...hence the rolled eyes smiley...

I must have missed that lol!!!
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

Alrighty guyz -- I can FINALLY get back to this thread! We couldn't watch the 24 season finale because my wife was getting prepped to go into labor of all things! I guess other events took priority ...

After watching the finale, I definitely agree that this season did not end with a bang, nor a whimper, but more like a thud (like so many of the other plot threads from this season). Lots of melodramatic filler. For example, Chloe's pregnancy revelation was a season finale retread of when Terri told Jack that she was pregnant. But, Terri's revelation had a lot more resonance because Jack found this out when he was en route on a suicide mission.

The ending with Jack and Bill leading the assault on an oil platform was pretty good actionwise. But, as with everything over the past few weeks, it's still dragged down by the illogical premise -- is this really the most efficient way for Philip Bauer to abduct his grandson?

Even the scene with Jack and Secretary Heller didn't strike the right note. All in all, this was a weak finale because it didn't even setup a plot thread for next season (aside from maybe some rescue mission for Cheng from the Chinese). Then again, considering how many cliffhanger endings that 24 has squandered over the years (assassination attempt on David Palmer on Day Two, Jack going into hiding after Day Four, and Jack taking the high road to China at the end of Day Five), it might have been wasted effort.

Better to give the writers a blank slate, and let them come up with something fresh. All in all, this season had some rough edges at the beginning, while still showing promise. But, things just kept spiraling downhill, and never recovered. Oh well, I'll still check in come January, but if things don't improve, I might follow topspeed's lead and find other Monday night distractions.
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    Alrighty guyz -- I can FINALLY get back to this thread! We couldn't watch the 24 season finale because my wife was getting prepped to go into labor of all things! I guess other events took priority ...

Now that ladies and gents is what we call a real CLIFFHANGER. BTW guys, wife went in to have a baby. END OF STORY.

1. Boy or Girl?
    2. Size?
    3. Is this your first? ( I am a bit giddy about this one...You may rule the board here my friend, but in about 10 years you will find out that you CAN be wrong no matter what side of the topic you are on EVERYTIME.....I find out daily from my 3 ladies how stupid I really am.)

Congrats!

Can we now expect 2 or 3 am posts, because your gonna be up anyways!

Quote Originally Posted by Groundbeef
    Now that ladies and gents is what we call a real CLIFFHANGER. BTW guys, wife went in to have a baby. END OF STORY.

1. Boy or Girl?
    2. Size?
    3. Is this your first? ( I am a bit giddy about this one...You may rule the board here my friend, but in about 10 years you will find out that you CAN be wrong no matter what side of the topic you are on EVERYTIME.....I find out daily from my 3 ladies how stupid I really am.)

Congrats!

Can we now expect 2 or 3 am posts, because your gonna be up anyways!

Sorry 'bout leavin things hanging ... so here you go!

Wooch's New Addition Has ARRIVED!

Already preparing for that triangulation effect when the girl is old enough to tag team dear old dad with mom's assistance. But, at least I know I'll have my dog in my corner, so maybe that will even things out (unless we wind up having another girl, then it's over)!
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

Looks like the first details about Day Seven are starting to trickle out. So far, it sounds promising -- no CTU, a more personal storyline, villain will not be a terrorist, different locale, and the only characters set to return will be Jack, Bill, and Chloe (!). A reboot is much needed, and it looks like we'll get one.

According to a T.V. Guide interview with Coexecutive producer Manny Coto, "Jack starts next season in a very different place than any season so far. Let's put it this way: I wouldn't be surprised if there's no CTU next year." He also says that "There will not be a ticking clock on a nuclear device. We're hewing much closer to real life: tighter, more personal, more difficult for Jack. There may even be a plot thread that doesn't take place on U.S. soil. In a sense, it's a reboot — in location and personnel. We're going to be introducing a new stable of characters, along with a couple of old ones. Jack's not living under an alias. He's found a place he thinks he belongs and a job he enjoys doing that doesn't involve the government. What's also refreshing is the choice of villain: It's not a Muslim terrorist. In fact, it's not a terrorist at all. And the character is fascinating, someone with a supremely dark past who's done something horrific and whose ambition is to regain his stature in the world."
    http://secondsighttv.com/shows/24/recaps/s7.html

Also, with my time off, I've been watching the 24 reruns on A&E. Right now, they're at 6am on Day One. Watching these episodes again just reiterates how far the writing has fallen off this season, but how great an idea 24 was from the outset. Even Day Five, which many viewers regard as their favorite season, had a formulaic approach, but the story and characters were so interesting, it was easy to forgive some of these lapses. Day Six did not have that luxury.

The first half of Day One remains the best that 24 has offered up so far. Very tight narrative, great tension, a very personal storyline for Jack, genuine surprises and plot twists. And apparently, the first half of Day One is the only time where the writers had the entire story arc mapped out ahead of time (at least up until 1pm, since Fox initially committed to only 13 episodes). I read that next season will have less improvising and more of the plotlines already fleshed out before the cameras start rolling.
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

Its his Dad. Remeber the old codger was left on the oil rig. Not dead, and certainly close enough to roll off into the dinghy before it blew up.

"Done something horrible, and trying to regain his stature."

If it is Dad, it better be on spot on great action, without all the fluff that killed day 6.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread Information