Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar

***DVD Review DOOM*******

Doom is a rehashed movie if I ever saw one. It borrows from Alien, Leviathan, and several other virus infects humans and turns them in to ugly creature’s movies. While I am a huge fan of The Rock, this movie does nothing to push his career forward. I believe this man will be the next Sylvester Stallone or Arnold Schwarzenegger; he has this kind of screen presence.

After finding a portal to Mars, a group of futuristic archaeologists are trying to find out why it was built and what happened to the civilization who built it. But when the archaeologists find themselves under attack, a special marine tactical squad is called out to search and destroy. Soon, it's discovered that a synthetic gene has created superhuman healing traits that turn humans into people eating monsters. As Sarge (The Rock) and Reaper (Karl Urban) and his team (Rosamund Pike, Deobia Oparei, Ben Daniels, Raz Adoti, and Richard Brake) proceed through the facility they encounter these creatures in a battle that takes many on the crew’s lives.

The Picture:

I would highly recommend watching this DVD in a darken room. Much of the movie is shot in low level light or dark areas. The anamorphically enhanced 2:35:1 picture exhibits fine detail throughout, and decent shadow detail. The picture does get a little soft in portions, and some pixelation can be detected, but overall picture detail is finely rendered. Colors are very rich with no chroma noise to be found. Black levels go forever, and the picture is very punchy. The average bit rate hovers around 5mbps, with occasional jumps to 7.5-8mbps

The Sound:

The Dolby Digital 448kbps 5.1 soundtrack is first rate. It is hard hitting in the bass, and every channel is used to its fullest. The LFE channel is used from the time the movie starts, till it stops. There is deep bass in all channels (though down in level in the surrounds), and the mix is spatially engaging. While the soundtrack has excellent imaging across the fronts, there is little or no side imaging, or imaging across the rear hemisphere.

Extras:

Special features include an Basic Training featurette, a six-minute Rock Formation make-up highlight, a look at Stan Winston's Master Monster Makers, a six-minute breakdown of—quite possibly the coolest sequence in the movie—the First Person Shooter Sequence, a 15-minute look at the beginning of the DOOM Nation in the 1990s, and seven-minute Game On.

This offering from Universal Pictures is technically pretty good; however it does not have the keep you guessing suspenseful moments that movies like Aliens have.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Nice review Lex. But isn't it a little short for you? And where's the dialog issue?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

I didn't read the whole review because I have this movie sitting at home and just haven't found the time to watch it yet. However, I sincerely hope The Rock chooses his vehicles better than Sly. For one, he has pretty good comedic timing. His character, along with Vince Vaughn's, in Be Cool were the only things good in that mess. Also, I loved The Rundown which, again, showed off his comedic talents. Sure, he's a great action star. But I think he definitely has more acting chops that either Sly or the Governator.

Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    I didn't read the whole review because I have this movie sitting at home and just haven't found the time to watch it yet. However, I sincerely hope The Rock chooses his vehicles better than Sly. For one, he has pretty good comedic timing. His character, along with Vince Vaughn's, in Be Cool were the only things good in that mess. Also, I loved The Rundown which, again, showed off his comedic talents. Sure, he's a great action star. But I think he definitely has more acting chops that either Sly or the Governator.
    Hmm....I was wondering if I should pick this up or not. Passed by it a few times, but wasn't sure. Let us know what you think.....

Great reviews Sir TT. Not tooooooo long, just enough to draw curiousity. I also like the picture and sound details. Once again, simple and foward, straight to the point.

Angry Ohhhh you're in trouble!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Nice review Lex. But isn't it a little short for you? And where's the dialog issue?
    Now why in the name off all that's holy did YOU have to go THERE G-Man? Now you're gonna make his Lairdship mad, and you're gonna get a dunkin'. Your hair's already a mess and now it's gonna look even worse all wet and sech... But please one thing... lemme get my popcorn before the festivities start...

Da Worfster....

PS. Nice Review Sir TT.

Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    Now why in the name off all that's holy did YOU have to go THERE G-Man? Now you're gonna make his Lairdship mad, and you're gonna get a dunkin'. Your hair's already a mess and now it's gonna look even worse all wet and sech... But please one thing... lemme get my popcorn before the festivities start...

Da Worfster....

PS. Nice Review Sir TT.
    Oh don't kid yourself man. Sir TT loves it when anyone brings up Lex. I can almost see him smiling now at the thought of Lex being driven out of town on a rail after being tarred & feathered.
    But if he'd like to dunk me, I'll take my punishement like a man. Just give me a second to strip down. This is my best suit.

Got any extra popcorn?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Oh don't kid yourself man. Sir TT loves it when anyone brings up Lex. I can almost see him smiling now at the thought of Lex being driven out of town on a rail after being tarred & feathered.
    But if he'd like to dunk me, I'll take my punishement like a man. Just give me a second to strip down. This is my best suit.

Got any extra popcorn?
    Nope, I am not going to dunk ya. I have decided after leaving topspeed all stringy haired and looking pitiful that your punishment should be worse.

By decree of the of the Royal House of Audio, you are banished to Germany where you will live with Florian. There you will be "re-educated" on the evils of mass market speakers. When he is finished with you I think you'll probably want to dunk yourself.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Nope, I am not going to dunk ya. I have decided after leaving topspeed all stringy haired and looking pitiful that your punishment should be worse.

By decree of the of the Royal House of Audio, you are banished to Germany where you will live with Florian. There you will be "re-educated" on the evils of mass market speakers. When he is finished with you I think you'll probably want to dunk yourself.
    HA! Gotcha there buddy. Flo actually LIKES me. He's even invited me over to help him burn a little, uh... um.... some.... well... where was I? Oh yeah, he invited me over to listen to his system and throw back a few brews. I don't mind being re-educated. I can never remember anything for more than a few minutes at a time anyhow. I sat threw one of those time share thingies. I'll make it. Maybe he'll even let me have his hand-me-down maggies.
    Punishement accepted. Where are the tickets?

HA! Gotcha there buddy. Flo actually LIKES me. He's even invited me over to help him burn a little, uh... um.... some.... well... where was I? Oh yeah, he invited me over to listen to his system and throw back a few brews. I don't mind being re-educated. I can never remember anything for more than a few minutes at a time anyhow. I sat threw one of those time share thingies. I'll make it. Maybe he'll even let me have his hand-me-down maggies.
    Punishement accepted. Where are the tickets?
    Well since you decided to accept my punishment, I change my mine as to what it is. (this is what makes me sooooooo terrible)

(turns to a soldier in his Lairdships Royal Guard) Off with his head!
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Well since you decided to accept my punishment, I change my mine as to what it is. (this is what makes me sooooooo terrible)

(turns to a soldier in his Lairdships Royal Guard) Off with his head!
    GULP!

Which one?

GULP!

Which one?
    I want you to live, but be tortured. So.... (points downward LOLOL)
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

I want you to live, but be tortured. So.... (points downward LOLOL)

Somethings are just unexceptable. Pushes Sir TT into the cooler and throws a glove in his face.

Rotflmbbao......

Ohh's and ahhs as Worfster munches popcorn gleefully watching the best best "Cat Fight" this side of "Project Runway".

Picks up cell phone and calls Kam, Smokey, Recovery and Kex to tell them to bring some beers and soda as the contest is heatin' up.

Da Worfster

Ohh's and ahhs as Worfster munches popcorn gleefully watching the best best "Cat Fight" this side of "Project Runway".

Picks up cell phone and calls Kam, Smokey, Recovery and Kex to tell them to bring some beers and soda as the contest is heatin' up.

Da Worfster
    The lights come back on. GM, DM & Sir TT have formed a circle (triangle) around Worf. They get closer, & closer & BAM! The lights go out again.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar

The review hit the nail on the head...

...but where were you a week-and-a-half ago when I bought this thing
    I read an article that says that while DVD sales as a whole were up last year that new release sales were down. While the absence of several " blockbuster new releases " no doubt contributed to this,I suspect the outpouring of films like this is a factor as well. It gets a little old validating your purchase by declaring it a "reference quality" source for your system. Oh well, I'll get around to watching DOOM again...sometime in 2008. Too bad, because I agree with your assessment of the Rock's potential.
    I think I will postpone a few purchases until your input is in. Thanks for your time SirTT

fThen all hell breaks loose...

The lights come back on. GM, DM & Sir TT have formed a circle (triangle) around Worf. They get closer, & closer & BAM! The lights go out again.
    There's gun shots, screams, the sounds of broken furniture... stars, whisltles, explosions. Cat's and dogs living together... then... silence....

Da Plot thickens...

Da Worfster

There's gun shots, screams, the sounds of broken furniture... stars, whisltles, explosions. Cat's and dogs living together... then... silence....

Da Plot thickens...

Da Worfster
    The lights flicker back on. The walls are smashed, the cooler is all over the floor, water everywhere, but there's no one in sight. You can hear the clickity clicks of workers typing away on their computers. No one seems to be aware that anything has happened. The water cooler guys walks in. He sees the mess and starts laughing uncontrollably. He throws two more containers of water into the room and walks out. The company's VP walks into the hall, sees the mess and walks back in his office. There's an eerie feeling. A losty runs by with two taily's chasing. One slips on the water and then vanishes. Silence again.

JSE
    Stops by water cooler to see what's going on with the guys. Sees all the destruction and water everywhere. Thinks to himself, "some things never change". Starts to walk out door but stops upon hearing a strange......printing sound. Looks backs over his shoulder and sees the old, discontinued, out of date, refurbished "unplugged" Lexmark 3200 printer sitting in the corner printing something out. Thinks about seeing what it is, but decides to run like hell.

Hears the printing outside his office door. Walks out & up to the lil' printer. Reaches down and picks up the glove on the floor. It's dripping on the printer. 16 pages of some review are piling up next to it. A quick glance shows that it's about some B vampire movie that had a budget of dozens of dollars. The printer is still going at it. Up to 23 pages now. Most of it is in ALL CAPS. Walks back to office. Sees Sir TT on the way. Motions that he should look out here. Then goes back to work.

Hears the printing outside his office door. Walks out & up to the lil' printer. Reaches down and picks up the glove on the floor. It's dripping on the printer. 16 pages of some review are piling up next to it. A quick glance shows that it's about some B vampire movie that had a budget of dozens of dollars. The printer is still going at it. Up to 23 pages now. Most of it is in ALL CAPS. Walks back to office. Sees Sir TT on the way. Motions that he should look out here. Then goes back to work.
    Sir T see's the little outdated printer going at it with another overly long review. He opens up the top, reaches in and grabs the dusty piece of craps toner cartridge and rips it out. The silly little printer just keeps going. He reaches into the little outdated hockey puck and begins ripping the guts out of the poor little thing. By the time he is finished, the little POS is in many pieces. Sir T has a sh!tty grin on his face as the little printer is in pieces still trying to work. He glances at his handy work and utters these words under his breath "life is good", and walks away.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    ...but where were you a week-and-a-half ago when I bought this thing
    I read an article that says that while DVD sales as a whole were up last year that new release sales were down. While the absence of several " blockbuster new releases " no doubt contributed to this,I suspect the outpouring of films like this is a factor as well. It gets a little old validating your purchase by declaring it a "reference quality" source for your system. Oh well, I'll get around to watching DOOM again...sometime in 2008. Too bad, because I agree with your assessment of the Rock's potential.
    I think I will postpone a few purchases until your input is in. Thanks for your time SirTT
    Actually it is of reference quality technically. Artistically it is also of reference quality. Its just a reference that you never want to repeat in life because it is so bad. I never need to validate my purchases, after all, it is my money right? If I don't like it, I just set the DVD out in my next yard sale. I make killer bucks selling DVD's with poor acting in them.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

(LJ pops head in)

(closes door)

OK, I finally sat down and watched this thing yesterday, and I am completely underwhelmed. This could have been a pretty enjoyable movie, much in the same vein as Aliens, but instead it quickly dissolved into a half-assed, run of the mill, made for tv sci-fi movie with bad language. There were simply too lapses in basic logic such as:

1) An elite military team that doesn't wear helmets, neither moves nor acts with the precision of a response team, doesn't have night vision (Hello? We have that NOW!), and displays the same discipline as an unmonitored kindergarten class.

2) A hottie scientist that refuses to wear a bra (not that it's a bad thing)

3) What? They don't have lights in huge, corporate research facilities?

There's more. Oh boy, is there more...but you get the drift. This could have been decent. This could have been revolutionary (the first person scene is pretty cool), instead it's just bad. Not The Island bad, but pretty close.

Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    OK, I finally sat down and watched this thing yesterday, and I am completely underwhelmed. This could have been a pretty enjoyable movie, much in the same vein as Aliens, but instead it quickly dissolved into a half-assed, run of the mill, made for tv sci-fi movie with bad language. There were simply too lapses in basic logic such as:

1) An elite military team that doesn't wear helmets, neither moves nor acts with the precision of a response team, doesn't have night vision (Hello? We have that NOW!), and displays the same discipline as an unmonitored kindergarten class.

2) A hottie scientist that refuses to wear a bra (not that it's a bad thing)

3) What? They don't have lights in huge, corporate research facilities?

There's more. Oh boy, is there more...but you get the drift. This could have been decent. This could have been revolutionary (the first person scene is pretty cool), instead it's just bad. Not The Island bad, but pretty close.
    What was that second piont again?

Ahem....

Sir T see's the little outdated printer going at it with another overly long review. He opens up the top, reaches in and grabs the dusty piece of craps toner cartridge and rips it out. The silly little printer just keeps going. He reaches into the little outdated hockey puck and begins ripping the guts out of the poor little thing. By the time he is finished, the little POS is in many pieces. Sir T has a sh!tty grin on his face as the little printer is in pieces still trying to work. He glances at his handy work and utters these words under his breath "life is good", and walks away.
    Worf peeks out of office see's printer churning away.... Utter oath in Klingonese... Grabs ancient device from the floor...

"By the Blood of K'Less" and hurls the haunted piece of plastic through the 13 th floor window...

Wipes his hands... spits on the floor and heads back to watch more holodeck Porn. "Today is a GOOD day to Die!"

Da Worfster

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information