Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar

Phillip Seymour Hoffman...the next Nicolas Cage?

I love that Hoffman won Best Actor at the Oscars. For years I've thought that he just wasn't getting the recognition or the roles that he deserved as (IMO) one the best actors around today.

But was anyone other than me disappointed to see that his next movie is Mission Impossible 3? Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the MI movies, but it somehow seems a step down for Hoffman. Is he just trying to break into the blockbuster scene and make some money?...can't blame him for that. But it seems like a waste of talent to me.

I can't help but think of Nicolas Cage, who after winning the Oscar for Leaving Las Vegas went on to do The Rock and Con Air. After he won his Oscar, he commented that maybe Hollywood is finally starting to recognize alternative films. Then he went on to try and become the next Bruce Willis. As a huge Cage fan up to that point, I really lost some respect for him. He's shown his former brilliance in films such as Adaptation and Matchstick Men, but he's done so much more mediocre work since winning the Oscar that the brilliant moments are needles in a haystack.

I really, really hope that we don't see the same fate for Hoffman. I'd like to think that he's too good for that.

I take Hoffman to be THE best living actor, and yes, the role in MI3 also caught my attention. Nevertheless, I find it hard to imagine that Hoffman would abandon independent and off-the-beaten-path films for exclusive work in mainstream Hollywood, whereas it was easy to imagine Nicholas Cage moving in that direction, as there was really no evidence to think otherwise.

Kam
    well i think the main difference with this MI3 (hopefully) will be jj abram's hand in it. might actually make it an interesting movie to watch with some fun spfx/action. i have a friend that worked on it and i got a bunch of updates (i also went to the wrap party so i am a little biased as to how nice these guys all really are) and its got potential at least. yeah it has a ginormous budget, but should be a fun action flick and with jj putting his touch on it, am hoping to see some good characters and story and maybe a few 'numbers' tossed in too haha.

but overall yeah, psh is one incrediblely talented and hard working actor. i think he'll still do some of the best work out there punctuated with the occasional 'blockbuster' type movie, which... c'mon.. who wouldnt want to do just for the fun of it all. i mean, you get to be in the Mi franchise, the villain (waaay more fun than the good guy) and work with the creator of lost! (ok am seriously biased).
    /create

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kam
    well i think the main difference with this MI3 (hopefully) will be jj abram's hand in it.
    Does that mean that we'll watch the first half of the movie, and then have to watch the first half of the movie again before we get to watch the second half?

Kam
    haha... thankfully no, since its not a disney parent production (abc), paramount's the parent on this one, hopefully they'll let us watch it straight through from beginning to end unlike those disney monsters!
    /create

Thread Information