• 04-22-2008, 05:17 AM
    Feanor
    Windows Home Server? Anyone??
    I'm curious to know if anyone is using Windows Home Server. I'm interested in tips or gotchas that might pertain to this operating system. Amongst other things, I would hope to use it to backup my music collection and also perhaps let act as the main, shared source for multiple computers.

The main feature of WHS is that it automates backups for all XP or Vista machines on your home network. It can also accomodate shared directories for photos, music, etc. It can also provide remote access over the Internet for remote clients with XP and Vista 'Pro' versions. WHS is based on Windows Server 2003 and has been around for a year or so; it requires a dedicated computer.

Ready-built WHS machines are available from Hewlett Packard and a few other vendors I . The hardware required is quite modest. I'm thinking of building my own machine with a mixture of mostly new, but some old, parts because I'll end up with at more versitile machine than the HP server (in case I decide to use for something other than WHS).
  • 04-22-2008, 05:38 AM
    Rich-n-Texas
    People will probably tell you to run Linux, and I'd agree with them. Maybe WHS is a stable MS OS, but IMO you're just asking for more headaches.
  • 04-22-2008, 06:25 AM
    Feanor
    Funny you should mention that
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    People will probably tell you to run Linux, and I'd agree with them. Maybe WHS is a stable MS OS, but IMO you're just asking for more headaches.

Another option that came to my mind was Ubuntu Server, but I'd pretty much eliminated it. For one thing, I don't see that it can automate backups with the ease that WHS does.

I have fooled around with LInux on four occassions over the last decade; most recently Ubuntu 8.04 beta running in a VMware virtual machine. Linux keeps getting easier but with the Server version it's back to manually editting configuration files for a lot of things. Too hard for a stupid old person like me.
  • 04-22-2008, 06:55 AM
    Rich-n-Texas
    Yes. This Linux stuff is a bit too "open source" for my taste. Anyway, I've never messed with WHS but this site might provide some answers for you...

http://www.techimo.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19

I couldn't find anything worthwhile on the first couple of pages, but you can always join and ask. I've been a member (Asteraltraveler) for a few years and there are some knowledgable people on that site.
  • 04-22-2008, 08:04 AM
    Feanor
    Ok!
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    Yes. This Linux stuff is a bit too "open source" for my taste. Anyway, I've never messed with WHS but this site might provide some answers for you...

http://www.techimo.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19

I couldn't find anything worthwhile on the first couple of pages, but you can always join and ask. I've been a member (Asteraltraveler) for a few years and there are some knowledgable people on that site.

Thanks, RnT. I'll check it out.