• 03-11-2008, 06:18 AM
    Rich-n-Texas
    WINAMP users please enlighten me
    I have a network connected receiver that allows sharing of music from my PC but as is normally the case with Windows, I can't get Window Media Player to see my receiver (I can ping it), so I'm looking for an alternative program. WINAMP has been suggested so for those of you who are using it, if you could discuss it's features and such here I'd appreciate it.

What do you use it for? Are you using the free version or the Pro version? Can I easily share my MP3's on my network without all the complications and roadblocks MS puts in front of me? What don't you like about it... etc? Thanks.
  • 03-11-2008, 06:41 AM
    Feanor
    Dunno, but ...
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    I have a network connected receiver that allows sharing of music from my PC but as is normally the case with Windows, I can't get Window Media Player to see my receiver (I can ping it), so I'm looking for an alternative program. WINAMP has been suggested so for those of you who are using it, if you could discuss it's features and such here I'd appreciate it.

What do you use it for? Are you using the free version or the Pro version? Can I easily share my MP3's on my network without all the complications and roadblocks MS puts in front of me? What don't you like about it... etc? Thanks.

Rich, when you say network connected and that you can ping the receiver, I assume it is RJ45 (or wireless) connected rather than USB?

More likely the problem is a Windows problem than a WinAmp problem, although you might see if Widows Media Player works. RYFM, (read your fabulous manual), for the receiver and see what it says -- gotta say something about network setup. Could be that the receiver requires that you load special drivers for audio playback.

Many players, (e.g. iTunes), use the "Default" audio playback device as selected in Windows: go to Settings -> Control Panel -> Sound and Audio Devices -> Audio -> Sound playback, Default device, and choose accordingly (after installing the receiver's drivers if necessary).
  • 03-11-2008, 08:43 AM
    Rich-n-Texas
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Feanor
    Rich, when you say network connected and that you can ping the receiver, I assume it is RJ45 (or wireless) connected rather than USB?

Correct assumption Feanor. I'm using Ethernet to connect the receiver to my PC. I ran Cat5 through the walls specifically for this purpose, so that's another reason why I want this to work.

Quote:

More likely the problem is a Windows problem than a WinAmp problem, although you might see if Widows Media Player works. RYFM, (read your fabulous manual), for the receiver and see what it says -- gotta say something about network setup. Could be that the receiver requires that you load special drivers for audio playback.

Is it ever not a Windows problem? :mad: I'm actually discussing my situation in detail in another thread, but suffice to say I've searched though my receiver's manual and everything is set up correctly from the receiver's POV. No mention of special drivers needing to be installed. "Windows Media Connect" is the communications s/w that allows this sharing of files, and it's integrated into WMP11, which is what I'm running.

Quote:

Many players, (e.g. iTunes), use the "Default" audio playback device as selected in Windows: go to Settings -> Control Panel -> Sound and Audio Devices -> Audio -> Sound playback, Default device, and choose accordingly (after installing the receiver's drivers if necessary).

I didn't think about that. I know exactly what you're talking about so I'll check. I'm certain though that it won't show the receiver in the list.
  • 03-11-2008, 11:19 AM
    Feanor
    Very interesting!
    Quote:

Correct assumption Feanor. I'm using Ethernet to connect the receiver to my PC. I ran Cat5 through the walls specifically for this purpose, so that's another reason why I want this to work.

Is it ever not a Windows problem? :mad: I'm actually discussing my situation in detail in another thread, but suffice to say I've searched though my receiver's manual and everything is set up correctly from the receiver's POV. No mention of special drivers needing to be installed. "Windows Media Connect" is the communications s/w that allows this sharing of files, and it's integrated into WMP11, which is what I'm running.

I didn't think about that. I know exactly what you're talking about so I'll check. I'm certain though that it won't show the receiver in the list.

It seems that latest version of Widows Media Connect, (WMC), is a component of Widows Media Player 11, so if you don't have WMP 11, you might want to download this latest version.

By the sound of it, your receiver might be a "Digital Media Receiver" as recognized by WMC. It could very well be that WinAmp needs to be told to used WMC, otherwise it will default to the Windows 'Default' audio device, (i.e. your sound card). If it isn't possible to set the Default audio device to WMC using Settings as I explained earlier, then look for a setting inside WinAmp. Unfortunately I have neither WMP 11 nor WinAmp, so this is about all I have to suggest.

Here's the link to WMC FAQ, which might be helpful, (or not).
  • 03-11-2008, 11:34 AM
    Rich-n-Texas
    Thanks for your help Bill. I am running WMP11 and I'm sure the problem lies on the PC side of the router. I'll see what the FAQ has to offer.
  • 03-11-2008, 11:41 AM
    Feanor
    Also possibly helpful
    Quote:

Thanks for your help Bill. I am running WMP11 and I'm sure the problem lies on the PC side of the router. I'll see what the FAQ has to offer.

Rich, also have a look at the WMP media connection FAQ where there is some discussion of connecting to a DMR. If WinAmp supports WMC, then it probably has a process analogous to that for WMP.
  • 03-11-2008, 12:16 PM
    Rich-n-Texas
    The first three questions also appeared in the Help topics which I read, but the next one... Uh oh, my receiver's not Playsforsure compatible and the Yamaha's aren't listed either. Yamaha clearly states throughout the manual that it can receive shared files from a PC, so it looks like there's a conflict. Maybe I don't have the latest firmware for the receiver afterall.

Need to look into this more when I get home.
  • 03-11-2008, 12:28 PM
    L.J.
    I never installed the firmware update for the 2700.
  • 03-11-2008, 04:14 PM
    Rich-n-Texas
    :o :o :o

All better now. :biggrin5:
  • 03-12-2008, 07:53 AM
    Rich-n-Texas
    Anyway, I think I'll plod along with WMP for the time being. Still don't know if WINAMP can interface with my receiver correctly but sometime when I'm feeling adventurous or aggravated with WMP I'll check into it.

Thanks WINAMP users for the product review! :rolleyes: