Forum Regular

Will splitting HDMI degrade the signal?

If i split my HDMI output from the cable box to go to both my SONY LCD TV and my Surround sound system to get full audio... will I lose resolution to my TV?
    Thank!
    Bob

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    First, I might not know what I'm talking about...

I'd be suprised if you can split a HDMI cable. Being digital, with copy protection issues as part of the standard, I'm guessing that HDMI is designed to only allow one device to be attached at the output end. I'm guessing the cable box 'knows' how many devices the HDMI output is attached to. The reason being that the digital information probably flows both ways on the HDMI cable. And signals coming from two receiving devices will corrupt things. If you split the cable and then only have one device at a time plugged in, I'm guessing it would work...

But this is only a guess.

edit...many newer receivers (newer than mine) have pass-through switching for DVI or HDMI, does yours?

I think your best bet is to run the HDMI to your TV and then run optical to your receiver for sound.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Thread Information