Forum Regular

Such thing as a Cheap Dedicated Transport?

So far, I have yet to see one
    Have any of you guys seen any?

Thanks

Forum Regular

Is $17.37 too much money?

how about

http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...79+6&Ne=500000

You think the transport in a multi thousand dollar cd player is any better?

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahha

Litttle do you know!

DMK
    Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by skeptic
    You think the transport in a multi thousand dollar cd player is any better?
    If all transports are alike and they either work flawlessly or not at all as you've said before, what mysterious factors are involved when one transport has the ability to read scuffed discs that another cannot? I own an NAD CD player and a Sony XA20-ES. The former struggles with several of my CD's, skips and sticks in places. The Sony does not. If this isn't the transport, what is it?

I should state that the ability to read discs is ALL that I've discerned to be any sonic differences between CD transports. But it's a critical difference.

Forum Regular
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahha

Litttle do you know!
    Looooooooooosssseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer!

Forum Regular
    The difference is the laser and the error correction system. Strictly speaking although the laser comes with the transport, it is akin to the phonograph cartridge in a turntable/tonearm combination. As for spinning more accurately meaning at a steadier speed, an expensive one may but that will not yield better sound. The worst transport I owned was the one in my Denon 1520. Mostly metal parts. Had trouble with it almost from the day I got it. It finally bit the dust last year. Replaced by one made out of plastic from JVC we've used for 12 years and has had no problems ever.

Forum Regular
    Gah! I aint gonna use a CD-drive!
    Those things are noisy as hell!

Forum Regular
    You said you wanted cheap. You never said anything about quiet. Put it in a nice soundproof enclosure. You won't hear a thing.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by NickWH
    Looooooooooosssseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer!
    No, Nick ... if I read your post correctly, it's you that are truly the loser! Evidently, you've bought into the hype and the myth that spending vast sums on certain components is a flat-out guarantee of superior performance, which it most definitely is NOT!

It would be hoped that spending more on a component would at least yield better reliability because of being built "better" ... but unfortunately, this is not a given reality either.

Spend your money any which way you want to. But don't call skeptic a looooooooooser ... he's not by any stretch.
    woodman

I plan to live forever ..... so far, so good!
    Steven Wright

AR Elite Member
    Can't we all just get along!

Yeah, how cheap do you want it? I'd recommend looking into a Cambridge Audio 640 CD player. I've heard it has an excellent transport, and anything more (for the tranport.. not the DAC or analog out) is overkill. I'll be it sounds better than a lot of players as a standalone player without an external DAC. Check it out. See if you like it. You might not even need the DAC.

Yes, I'm sure a computer CD-ROM reads just fine, but they are as noisy as all get out! For "serious audiophile transport" I believe the CA to be the point of diminishing returns, if you can afford it.

Forum Regular
    No, Nick ... if I read your post correctly, it's you that are truly the loser! Evidently, you've bought into the hype and the myth that spending vast sums on certain components is a flat-out guarantee of superior performance, which it most definitely is NOT!
    Woodman, you are talking out of your a*s. I was simply calling Skeptic a loser for the obnoxious way he jumped down the original posters throat...for no reason.

I know where to spend my money in audio and where not to, so preach to somewhere else!

Forum Regular
    musicguy, if it's just the transport, why not just go for the 540C or the 340C?
    Or are they using different transports?

Forum Regular
    Nick, the real loser is the guy who pays a lot extra and gets something that is only slightly better or no better at all than the inexpensive item and continues to believe he got something he didn't. He not only got cheated, he's set up for every other guy with a scam. The uneducated consumer is the con artitst's best friend.

One day at work many years ago, someone asked me why I bought a fake Rolex wristwatch at a flea market. I said because I liked the way it looked, it keeps perfect time, and the money I saved by not buying a real one allowed me to buy a REAL brand new Lincoln Mark VII.

Maybe you're made out of money but I have to set priorities. I want the most for what I pay and I want something of real value for my cash, not just an illusion based on hype.

Thread Information