Would it be crazy to buy an old DAC?

I see an Adcom GDA-700 went on eBay for $212.50. Sounds like a nice price for audio on a budget. But...like the subject line says...would it be crazy to buy an old DAC? After all, digital technology and words like old, used and pre-owned don't seem to go together.

I wouldn't

Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    I see an Adcom GDA-700 went on eBay for $212.50. Sounds like a nice price for audio on a budget. But...like the subject line says...would it be crazy to buy an old DAC? After all, digital technology and words like old, used and pre-owned don't seem to go together.
    In the lower price range I rather look for an NOS DAC. There are quite few from China, for example:

I guess I never would've considered the Chinese equipment on eBay. I've been looking at the tube phono stages and preamps and I haven't been able to pull the trigger.

Aging Smartass
    I lost out on a bid for an Adcom GDA-700 in the last minute of the listing on ebay. I was absolutely furious, as mine was the highest bid for days at under $200. The winner outbit me by $5.

The GDA-700, from what I've read, is an outstanding DAC, and worth looking for. Still, it isn't of any use for SACD playback, and unless you've heard a well engineered SACD, you have no idea how much better your system can sound. I've often posted of how much I love my Marantz SA-8001 (now replaced by the 8003), but it continues to delight me the more I listen to it. Now that it's discontinued, perhaps a few might start showing up "old, and used."

Suspended
    Whether to buy a used DAC really depends on the DAC. Sometimes an older high quality DAC now bought at a cheaper price can still out perform or be more satisfying than a new DAC or player at the same price. As an example I bought an older model Conrad Johnson DAC for under $500.00 that would still be better than anything I could buy new for $500.00. Of course, the CJ DAC retailed new at about $1,200.00. If it's a known high quality product and it's not too old, then I'd say give it a shot. "Too old", I'd guess 10 years but may vary depending on the unit.

I share your reservations on buying Chinese cheap gear, especially from Ebay. If I was going to take a chance on something like that I'd be sure it was from a reputable source that allowed returns. Typically cheap tube gear is known to have noise issues. The Bellari's have a good rep in an inexpensive phono stage. What is your budget on a DAC?

Ajani
    1st question: What are you planning to use as Transport?

If you already have a decent sounding CD player, then adding an old DAC may not add any value to the sound of your setup (it might actually make it worse)...

Next Question: What's your budget?

You can get some pretty nice old DACs for under $500 (such as the Musical Fidelity X-DAC V3) or even new DACs such as the Cambridge Audio DACMagic ($400) or Musical Fidelity V-DAC ($300)..

I would probably use my Harman-Kardon DVD101 as the transport. I didn't have a budget or even a DAC at all in mind until I saw the GDA-700 at only around $200. I'll have to do a little research. $300 to $400 might be acceptable, too. Sometimes it just depends on my mood. But then I also wonder if maybe money like $500 is better spent on a new player?

You do realize ..

Quote Originally Posted by emaidel
    I lost out on a bid for an Adcom GDA-700 in the last minute of the listing on ebay. I was absolutely furious, as mine was the highest bid for days at under $200. The winner outbit me by $5.
    You realize I'm sure that it is common practice to place eBay bids at the last minute to avoid counter bidding. In fact the last few minutes is often when the serious bidding occurs. N.B. that the winner might have bid much higher than $205, (say $250), but because nobody bid in between the two of you, he got it for the increment eBay specified for the auction, say $5 -- this is the way it works.

Actually "bid sniping" is quite common. There are online services that will automatically place your specified bid for you in the last 6 seconds of the auction (or interval you specify), thereby making counter bidding is basically impossible; (you can only be out bit by another bid sniper).

The moral is always bid the maximum you are willing to pay for the item. You might pay considerably less if there are no close bidders.

Suspended

Well that's interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    You realize I'm sure that it is common practice to place eBay bids at the last minute to avoid counter bidding. In fact the last few minutes is often when the serious bidding occurs. N.B. that the winner might have bid much higher than $205, (say $250), but because nobody bid in between the two of you, he got it for the increment eBay specified for the auction, say $5 -- this is the way it works.

Actually "bid sniping" is quite common. There are online services that will automatically place your specified bid for you in the last 6 seconds of the auction (or interval you specify), thereby making counter bidding is basically impossible; (you can only be out bit by another bid sniper).

The moral is always bid the maximum you are willing to pay for the item. You might pay considerably less if there are no close bidders.
    ...I wonder how much these online "bid sniping" services charge. Always somebody looking to make a buck.

I've gotten up at 4am to bid snipe and have won a couple of times in the last few seconds. I have partner at work who does this all the time. You have to time it just right. Its best just to lay back and not be the highest bidder sometimes.

Why don't you look to Audiogon for a used MusicHall 25.2 CDP or Cambridge Audio 640c v2 CDP. I would even consider the new Marantz 5003 CDP which has gotten good reviews (about $300).
    And if your into SACD consider the Oppo 983H universal player. Any of these would be a step up from your HK.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Suspended
    It would be interesting to see how the DAC Magic stacks up to Cambridges stand alone players.

Cheap

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    ...I wonder how much these online "bid sniping" services charge. Always somebody looking to make a buck.
    Rich, the bid sniping charge is quite cheap, a few cents a bid. However as I recall it varies with the price of the item. Check eSnipe.

As you can see ..

Quote Originally Posted by blackraven
    I've gotten up at 4am to bid snipe and have won a couple of times in the last few seconds. I have partner at work who does this all the time. You have to time it just right. Its best just to lay back and not be the highest bidder sometimes.

Why don't you look to Audiogon for a used MusicHall 25.2 CDP or Cambridge Audio 640c v2 CDP. I would even consider the new Marantz 5003 CDP which has gotten good reviews (about $300).
    And if your into SACD consider the Oppo 983H universal player. Any of these would be a step up from your HK.
    There is no need to do this provided you can decide what your maximum is and stick with it. In that case a bid sniping service is the answer -- set it and forget it.

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    It would be interesting to see how the DAC Magic stacks up to Cambridges stand alone players.
    I know at least one member of another forum bought it to compare with his 840C, and thought the 840C was definitely better... Still, I'd need to see a few more comparisons between it and the 840/740 players to know how good it really is/isn't...

The 840c should sound better then the DAC Magic as it uses different DACs from anagram technologies which up samples to 384kHz.

Anjani, the 740c and 840c are so similar in sound that its almost not worth the money for the 840 unless you want XLR and th ability to use it as a DAC for other audio. I had both and I felt the 840c had slightly better treble.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

How about if that old DAC was a Sonic Frontiers SFD1? Seems like a nice idea...a high-end tube component for a DAC...even though it's long in the tooth.

How about if that old DAC was a Sonic Frontiers SFD1? Seems like a nice idea...a high-end tube component for a DAC...even though it's long in the tooth.
    Although I cannot speak for that unit, I took a similar approach with the vintage garage system. I added a Manley Sigma Delta DAC which also uses a simple tube output stage. It has analog gain controls which allow it to drive my amplifier directly. The result is quite nice.

rw

Sf Dac

The Sonic Frontier DAC has a great reputation.

I had the chance to buy a non-functioning one for $250. However Chris Johnson at Parts ConneXion, whom I asked it, said he couldn't guarantee to fix it because some parts are now unavailable. If you have any question about a Sonic Frontiers, Assemblage, or older Anthem product, Chris can almost certainly help you out.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    I would look into a used Audio Note DAC 1.1x since it was partly designed by the chief engineer of Sonic Frontiers and is a much better DAC. Though it should be since it will cost more. Otherwise used DAC's you'd have to make sure sound better than new CD technology - It may very well but buying used on ebay or something without hearing it first is a complete crapshoot.

Quote Originally Posted by RGA
    ...buying used on ebay or something without hearing it first is a complete crapshoot.
    But the beauty of the pre-owned market is that if you don't overpay, you can sell it for what you paid.

Thread Information