Question ?What's the best alt. to iPod?

Yo,
    I'm the new guy here! I was wondering if anyone knew a good alternative to the 20g+ipod. I found a creative zen xtra w/t 30g, but I have no idea if it's good or not.
    So if you know a good alternative the great Apple iPod, please do reply,
    Roster19
    -Somebody's watching you-

Feel the Tempo eisforelectronic's Avatar
    40 gb ipod w/click wheel

The Sony would be cool if you don't mind converting everything to ATRAC

40g iPod's gotta be over the roof expensive. I'm looking for something maybe under 300 bucks.

Forum Regular

I'd go H series iRiver or Rio Karma..

Both are worthy alternatives with more bells and whistles than the iPod. The iPod's hard to beat as far as the form factor is concerned though. No one manufactures anything that's as easy to use in my experience. I have a 2nd gen iPod that's still going strong. All are a little bulky for truly portable use. And who really needs 20 or more GB's of storage in a portable player? If you don't, consider the Rio Carbon. It is in my opinion the best all around player on the market at the moment. It has a form factor that is perfect for portable use, 5 GB's of storage, at least 14 hours of playback (an advertised 20), bookmarking, excellent sound quality, no drivers required, Audible compatible, easy one handed operation, and a high quality fit and finish. The new Creative Zen Micro is available now too, also with a 5GB hard drive. I haven't tried one but the reviews are uniformly good, , raves about sound quality and calling it a real iPod killer. If you don't need a player right now, there are going to be a lot of new players introduced in the next couple of months in time for the holidays. The new ipod is rumored to be on the way too. The rumor mill has it that there will be a color screen for viewing pictures and a card slot for off loading pictures from your camera. The Rio Karma replacement should be pretty spectacular as well. If I were you I'd wait. The good news is that you'll have a lot of choices.

I'm not really wanting to get an Ipod cause you have to pay Apple to replace batteries with is about 50$ I think. I'm not picky about bulkyness unless it's bigger than a cd player which I firmly doubt. The #1 thing I am very picky with is that the battery is not intergrated. I'm not in a rush so I'll look into these other mp3 players.
    If you want to add a comment, I urge you to,
    roster19
    Last edited by roster19; 10-18-2004 at 08:40 PM.

I thought apple wouldn't replace batteries or would charge like almost the cost of a new Ipod.

Forum Regular

I wouldn't concern yourself with battery replacement...

Chances are an ipod will go three, four or more years before you need to replace the battery. By then you'll probably want to replace it with something else.

anyone ever see this?

http://www.ipodsdirtysecret.com/

Forum Regular

Would you trust these batteries? Ipod's aren't cheap and you could very easily fc*k up something taking it appart.

Forum Regular

I would but it's not for everyone..

If this isn't for you there are a number of aftermarket turn key alternatives. By the way, if the ipod is too white for you, check out Colorware. I've seen their work with PC's. Very high quality. http://www.colorwarepc.com/

When are all the new mp3 players coming out? Before Christmas?

Forum Regular

check apple's website..

looks like the new color screen became available in the last day or two. A 40 and 60 GB color screen and special edition black and red iPods. The color screen iPods are a little disappointing though. If they had a card slot for offloading digital photos and data, they would be tempting but all they do is display pictures imported from a computer. And they're expensive - far too expensive for what they are in my opinion. Archos is a better value and will import and playback movies and television programming. The special edition iPods are cool but you can get these and a lot more colors from Colorware modded iPods. I'd wait to see what comes from Rio, Creative and iRiver in the next month or two.

you cant beat a ipod.
    and ALL mp3 players have batteries. i had the originall 5gig ipod and its still going strong (gave it to my brother) add itunes and you cant beat it. if your worried about batteries, for $30 bucks you can get a 15hr battery installed. i cant believe people think the battery will last forever...ever have a cell phone? cordless phone? dance around it all you want....buy what every you think you want....but theres no beating the ipod. sorry.
    Sony str-da2000es Digital Amp
    Proac Tablette Ref 8 Monitor
    Definitive Technology Prosub 80 Subwoofer
    sony dvp775 Video
    jamo 661K4 Monitor
    jamo E6CEN Monitor

it's about the music
    Quote Originally Posted by roster19
    Would you trust these batteries? Ipod's aren't cheap and you could very easily fc*k up something taking it appart.

The ipod is a pain to take apart, but if u are somewhat careful its not that easy to screw anything up. But it really is a BIG pain in the ass taking it apart. U require a knife to open it and i might slash one of ur fingers, like i did (and i'm no particular fumble-fingers)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaboom
    The ipod is a pain to take apart, but if u are somewhat careful its not that easy to screw anything up. But it really is a BIG pain in the ass taking it apart. U require a knife to open it and i might slash one of ur fingers, like i did (and i'm no particular fumble-fingers)
    Did you change it with an alternative $30 battery? How the performance compared to when you first had it?

Thread Information