First Listen, Then Learn misterq4u's Avatar

Cambridge SoundWorks Radio/CD 740 vs Tivoli model One/Bose

Any warnings or compliments about these so revered little machines?
    Is it hype or is this it?

Tivol Model 1 - Cute, well regarded mono table radio. Non-digital tuning may or may not be what you want, but forget any presets.

Bose - Overpriced. The CSW stuff was designed to compete with these at a lower price and succeeds admirably.

CSW 740 - Successor to the Model 88. I have a Model 88 radio and love it. Great sound, convienent to use and easy to live with. Love those presets since it spends it's life on the nightstand.

Now, about CD players in these type things. Odds are that if you have a combo unit, one of the two devices will fail, leaving you with half of what you paid for. Since electronic devices tend to be more reliable than a mechanical device, I would forgo the built in CD player 'cause when it dies, you're gonna look at it and curse it, while the radil will go on forever. What I did for my 88 was to connect an external CD player (a walkman) to it and it works like a champ.

FWIW, www.hifi.com had Model 88CD on sale for $199 should you choose that route.

It makes a lot of sense what you say about the CD diying, must be the reason for all the I/O jacks. I heard the Model 88 before and had a happy sound, my story is the same, want to add CD/MP3 capability. Thanks, eye opening point.

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

Save some $$$, and get it off Ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by misterq4u
    It makes a lot of sense what you say about the CD diying, must be the reason for all the I/O jacks. I heard the Model 88 before and had a happy sound, my story is the same, want to add CD/MP3 capability. Thanks, eye opening point.
    Direct from the manufacturer.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...721412805&rd=1

I buy these returned items all the time and I've never had a failure yet.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

thanks, markw. Your opinion gave me the background I needed.
    Got it yesterday it from Crutchfield.com
    It might be the media, but it is absolutely sweet sounding. I found that is not suitable for small rooms, imaging comes alive from around 12ft. or more. It does a perfect job to replace my old Sony dream machine.

Thanks
    Our ears speak to our brain...

...Me

Last spring my girlfriend and I went to visit her brother in MS. I noticed that he had a Bose WaveRadio CD. I had always been curious about these things, because people praise them, but I have always been disappointed by Bose.

I figured I should take advantage, so I listened to it with a good FM station coming in, in stereo. I was completely blown away that someone would pay more than $150 for this thing. It sounds like what it is, a small clock radio with small speakers, just a little refined.

What I mean by refined is that it doesn't distort as much as say my friends Zenith "waveradio" look-a-like clock radio. It doesn't buzz from the bass(or lack of it) when you turn it up toward it's higher volume levels.

All in all, it really isn't special. You could easily invest the ~$400 it must go for, in a decent stereo rig. Get a nice cheap old AM/FM receiver off ebay, like an 80's yamaha or rotel. get yourself some small speakers, or better yet make some out of some MDF(from Home depot), some thick black spray paint, and a decent set of 3-4" full range drivers(partsexpress). Oh and to fulfill the clock aspect, buy a $4 battery powered clock at target.

[/my2cents]

Thread Information