• 04-09-2008, 03:33 PM
    Smokey
    What Player for MP3 files?
    I was wondering what type of (free) players most use for playing MP3 files on their computer?

Just install Winamp player and after listening to few MP3 (all are 320 kbs), I have noted that Winamp does not sound as full as playing MP3s on WindowMediaPlayer. Although Winamp does have an equalizer and did some adjusting, the sound is still less dynamic than on WMP.

Wondering if you all had the same experience.
  • 05-07-2008, 11:58 AM
    Try out J River Media Jukebox. The Jukebox version is free. I use the Media Center version. I find it the best thats out there.
  • 05-07-2008, 01:52 PM
    kexodusc
    For playing files? To be honest Smoke, I haven't been able to tell a difference at all between programs for mp3 playback if the EQ's were disabled, no effects added, and volume matched. Winamp was my favorite for a long time, FWIW.

Weird that you're noticing differences. Maybe there's something added or not added to the files depending which one you're using.

Windows Media and itunes are probably the most popular just for the library management feature. I used Real Player quite a bit too way back.
  • 05-07-2008, 03:45 PM
    Smokey
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 0239666
    Try out J River Media Jukebox. The Jukebox version is free. I use the Media Center version. I find it the best thats out there.

Thanks. Will check it out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kex
    Weird that you're noticing differences. Maybe there's something added or not added to the files depending which one you're using.

Both players EQ were diabled. I listen to [same] few mp3 songs almost everyday, so got pretty good feel of the song. When playing MP3 on Winamp, the song does not sound as dynamic as playing the same mp3 on Window media player.

Haven't tried Realplayer though as I hear it is a bit buggy :)
  • 05-07-2008, 04:10 PM
    Feanor
    Foobar2000
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Smokey
    I was wondering what type of (free) players most use for playing MP3 files on their computer?

Just install Winamp player and after listening to few MP3 (all are 320 kbs), I have noted that Winamp does not sound as full as playing MP3s on WindowMediaPlayer. Although Winamp does have an equalizer and did some adjusting, the sound is still less dynamic than on WMP.

Wondering if you all had the same experience.

I mostly use Foobar2000 which is a free, highly-configurable player. I use iTunes to rip to ALAC format and sometimes for playback too.

Many PC audio gurus (and nerds) recommend Foobar because it let's you pick the audio driver you want to run, (whereas iTunes uses the Windows default). Foobar also supports multi-channel and various DSP add-ins. Thus I use it to drive my M-Audio Audiophile USB external sound card. With Foobar's ASIO plug-in, I can use the M-Audio's ASIO drivers; for best sound, the gurus recommend by-passing WinXP's infamous Kernal Mixer. (Sorry, I can give may technical details but KMixer is part of XP's audio "stack" and has something to do with mixing audio signals from multiple sources).

I can't say I hear a lot of difference between Foobar and iTunes although the fomer certainly gives up nothing to the latter. When I use Foobar, my files ripped from HDCD discs cause the HDCD indicator on my DAC to come on whereas this isn't always the case for iTunes, so I suppose Foobar is sending the cleaner stream.

See links ...
  • 05-07-2008, 04:35 PM
    kexodusc
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Smokey
    Thanks. Will check it out.

Both players EQ were diabled. I listen to [same] few mp3 songs almost everyday, so got pretty good feel of the song. When playing MP3 on Winamp, the song does not sound as dynamic as playing the same mp3 on Window media player.

Haven't tried Realplayer though as I hear it is a bit buggy :)

Hmmm, maybe all the players I've used have used the same driver.

I use Amarok, a Linux media player which lets you select which engine you want to use for playback. I haven't notice an audible difference between those, but then I haven't really performed extensive tests on quality either.

Trust your ears. When I'm bored some day I'll have to fiddle around on windows and see if I can hear differences.
  • 05-08-2008, 04:58 AM
    Ajani
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Windows Media and itunes are probably the most popular just for the library management feature.

Yep... I use itunes for that exact reason.... it's just really convenient... I can't say that I've done an A/B comparison between itunes and another player though... Maybe I'll try it for fun one day...
  • 05-08-2008, 04:30 PM
    Rich-n-Texas
    I use iTunes as well, and I have noticed better sound quality with it over WMP.
  • 05-15-2008, 11:00 AM
    f0rge
    itunes here too, lets me shoot music wirelessly to my stereo, so i'm happy with it.
  • 05-15-2008, 11:26 AM
    audio amateur
    I use WMP. It sounds fine to me & i'm use to it. I have all my music on it.
  • 05-15-2008, 11:54 AM
    basite
    I use Creative Mediasource 5 (came with my soundcard...)

for the very few times I listen to music on my pc through my main system, it does fine...

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.