it's about the music

What do you people think of the Audio Alchemy DAC-in-the-box?

There's one going on ebay for a decent price and it'd seem like a good way to get the sound from my comp to my stereo, and perhaps also use my CD as a transport. Anyone have any feedback on this?
    Cheers!
    I remember the days when I thought 128kbps sounded great and had never spent more than 10 bucks on cables...

Hasn't been manufactured for some time

Quote Originally Posted by Kaboom
    There's one going on ebay for a decent price and it'd seem like a good way to get the sound from my comp to my stereo, and perhaps also use my CD as a transport. Anyone have any feedback on this?
    Cheers!
    I listen to one about a year when it was already out of production. Its sound, I thought, was very slightly sweeter but no more detailed or airy (for CDs) than my Sony CE775 by itself. I think I could have had it for Cdn$250, but I declined.

Forum Regular
    Theatre in a box may not be a good idea. I am not sure about the one that you are talking about but a lot of theatre in a box do not have the option to upgrade the speakers, the impedance and power is very specific. What are you using it for? Everything has its purpose but theatre in a box leaves you out of luck for the future.
    Todd

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddL
    Theatre in a box may not be a good idea. I am not sure about the one that you are talking about but a lot of theatre in a box do not have the option to upgrade the speakers, the impedance and power is very specific. What are you using it for? Everything has its purpose but theatre in a box leaves you out of luck for the future.
    Todd

Todd is confused. :P It's not a home theatre in a box, it's a digital to analog convertor.
    They were trying to be clever/witty with the name.
    Vroom.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by swicken
    Todd is confused. :P It's not a home theatre in a box, it's a digital to analog convertor.
    They were trying to be clever/witty with the name.
    Vroom.
    Hah I guess I am confused. Here's a lesson: Read things before replying. I saw in a box and immediately thought to theatre. I should have known better than to think that someone here would be considering theatre in a box.

it's about the music
    lol NO!!!! no theather-in-a-box!!! that's where i originally came from. Actually a 1500 bucks Theater in a box. My current system is worth less than that and trashes it in EVERY possible way.
    Just looking for a DAC to hook my comp to my stereo, and if its nice enuff i might be using my Cambridge Audio Azur as a transport through this DAC-in-the-box thing as well.
    In fact i thought it was a pretty witty name "Dac-in-the-box, Jack-in-the-box"...
    I need psychiatric help...
    Cheers!
    I remember the days when I thought 128kbps sounded great and had never spent more than 10 bucks on cables...

sylmar, ca. in beautiful so cal earthquake country

pretty good

i use one on my philips cdr standalone for playback. its not a cal audio labs sigma by anystretch but better than most onboard d/a unints.
    ...regards...tr

Thread Information