Question Why nothing here?

It seems like computer audio would be a decent topic. On my computer, I use a Logitech wireless transmitter from the USB port to a small wireless receiving unit that has RCA outputs. That's in the tuner inputs on my Adcom system. I don't use a tuner, so that was one set of inputs I knew I'd never need. I subscribe monthly to Rhapsody and voila!...instant huge music collection. Anyone else have any computer audio setups of note?

Forum Regular
    I don't know why there's nothing here now. There used to be a number of threads under this topic, but they all seem to have been deleted for reasons unknown. (I know they were there because I posted some messages.)

I have an M-Audio 2496 sound card in my computer connected to my hi-fi system. (Not really an audio setup of note, but quite a good music-oriented sound card, with decent gold plated RCA connectors instead of those awful 3.5mm mini headphone type jacks that infest most sound cards.)
    All we are saying, is give peas a chance.

Suspended
    Scroll to the bottom and change how far back to display posts. I just chose 100 days and they all come back.

By the way, either Spanky was a troll or he is still listening to his last $20 set of speakers.

I do run my PC out to a Mini-RCA jack and into my preamp. I still have not heard any MP3s that sound as good as the disk.

Suspended
    I have my PC's SB Audigy soundcard connected to my receiver via SPDIF, through a miniplug ==> Coax Optical adapter. I moved it out to my living room to #a) get it out of that hot front bedroom, and #b) allow my to play PC games on my HDTV via nVidia dual DVI out vid card.

I'm with Hyfi... MP3's and such just don't sound as good as a CD/DVD from a capable player.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi
    By the way, either Spanky was a troll or he is still listening to his last $20 set of speakers...
    I vote A AND B.

Ajani
    In the past I've connected a mac mini directly to one of the extra inputs on my preamp. Now I use a Squeezebox Classic. All my music is stored on an external hard-drive in apple lossless format.

For those saying that disc sounds better than MP3... well, it should... if you really want to do a comparison, then you need to rip all your music in either wav or a lossless format. MP3 is a compressed and inferior format and is NOT a good representation of what a good computer audio setup can sound like.

Suspended
    I agree Ajani, and even though it's not the case for me, because I don't have millions of songs stored, saving files as .wav or lossless can be very HDD consumptive, and finding players and other audio components (Squeezebox notwithstanding) that will recognize formats other than MP3's is kinda difficult. Og (sp?) and Flac are Lossless formats, correct?

I've sung the praises of computer-based music systems many times on these forums. I've always gotten a lukewarm reception, with a few exceptions.

I think a lot of the forum members here tend to be a bit older. Also, there are a lot of misconceptions about music and computers, e.g. people equate them with MP3s and tinny computer speakers. Some people absolutely refuse to believe that you can get true audiophile-quality sound out of a computer.

Finally there are other forums where this topic can be discussed ad nauseum, so there's no huge demand for it here.
    There's an audiophile born every minute. Congratulations; you're right on time.

FREE RADICAL RADIO: Hours of free, radical MP3s!

Well, I'm insulted

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Anderson
    I've sung the praises of computer-based music systems many times on these forums. I've always gotten a lukewarm reception, with a few exceptions.

I think a lot of the forum members here tend to be a bit older. Also, there are a lot of misconceptions about music and computers, e.g. people equate them with MP3s and tinny computer speakers. Some people absolutely refuse to believe that you can get true audiophile-quality sound out of a computer.

Finally there are other forums where this topic can be discussed ad nauseum, so there's no huge demand for it here.
    Hi, Mike,

'Fraid I have to take exception to your "a bit older" shot. I am, all at once, one of the older forum members and a strong advocate of computer-sourced playback.

The converse perspective is what bothers me: that I see younger members slipping in to the weird, self-delusional fantasy realm of vinyl, SET, and single-driver speakers.

I agree there are other forums where the matter is discussed in depth, but then again that can be said of any and all of the other topics here at AR.

Hi Feanor,

Apologies -- Of course I should have said that I'm generalizing rather broadly, did not mean to imply anything about anyone in particular. I'm also speculating, re the age thing; I could be entirely wrong.
    There's an audiophile born every minute. Congratulations; you're right on time.

FREE RADICAL RADIO: Hours of free, radical MP3s!

Thread Information