Forum Regular

are dvd players now disposable?

my second dvd player has stopped working. It is a four year old panasonic. The other player was a nice denon that crapped out after 3 years.

why do players not last that long? I have a Sony 5 disk that I purchased in 1987 and it still works fine. Is the saying true, they just don't make them like they used to?

I will replace my panasonic with a cheap one and just expect three years. It is for my bedroom and outside speakers so no big deal.

thanks?

My name is Andrew and I approve this message.

DVD players have been disposable for years now, especially since they've been readily available for less than $60. If you want better performance, there are higher end models out there, but the build quality is certainly not going to last you for a long period.

Aside from a few higher end models, most of the attention and tank-like build quality is now going to the Blu-ray players, which can also upscale regular DVDs. With HDTVs now the norm, more and more of the market is shifting towards HD sources, and Blu-ray's part of that shift.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Forum Regular
    I've been saying that for some time. When your DVDP will no longer do movies, use it as a CD transport. Buy a really good DAC and treat players as consumables. These are not the good old days when a turntable could be a family heirloom.

Laz

Quote Originally Posted by trollgirl
    I've been saying that for some time. When your DVDP will no longer do movies, use it as a CD transport. Buy a really good DAC and treat players as consumables.
    Given that 90% of time when DVD player quit playing movies is because of mechanical issue, using it as a transport might also be out of question

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey
    Given that 90% of time when DVD player quit playing movies is because of mechanical issue, using it as a transport might also be out of question
    Also, I agree with Frank Van Alstine that the DAC is responsible for the greater difference between the two. Not that I wouldn't want an EMM Labs unit. Transports are mechanical and wear out. Buy a new one!

rw

Cool

TECH is moving so fast that when something breaks its time to get another anyway, so they go for a low price in construction.
    A lot of people cant understand that these days most everything is disposable, just not worth fixing, so toss it and get a new one with more updated features
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Breaks down, are you sure your not doing something to damage it, I doubt the player is dying out by default, 4 years doesn't even exceed the gurantee you can purchase with it.

Audio/HT Nut version 1.3a
    Hell, I bought and assembled a Heathkit DVD player back in the early 70's. It still works just fine. Uh, hold on a minute, my wife just said it's time to take my Focus Factor.

RR6

Thread Information