Which CD player to buy?

I've narrowed down my search for a new CD player to the following 3 players and would like some opinions on which one to buy.

Music Hall CD25.2

NAD C542

Cambridge Azure 640

I can buy any one of these for $500-600. I'm leaning to the Music Hall and the Azure although I've only been able to hear the NAD.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

long live Stereo
    have heard cambridge audio 640c , its quite a good one for the money....but little bright and not very lively when compared to Marantz . Nad C542 is the one i was using . A very good CD player but some detailed is sacrificed for the cost of smoothness. never heard Music hall. also check out some models from marantz, they are very good.
    happy listening
    dev.

My system

Nad 208 THX power Amp.
    Carver C1 Pre amp
    Quad 22L speakers
    AR 318PS Speakers
    Castle ISIS series bookshelf
    Marantz 72SE Cd player
    Kimber Cables

Suspended
    I've not heard the Music Hall or the Cambridge so I can't compare them directly to my Nad c542. I can say that the Nad was a huge step up from from the Panasonic XP-50 that I was using before. It's very smooth AND very detailed, at least in comparison to the Pannie. It's also increased my enjoyment of music to the point that I now can sit and listen to cd after cd and just get lost in the experience. A very worthwhile investment.

Thanks guys, I like the NAD but the reviews on the Music Hall are excellent and I can mod it or buy one already modded for $780. The Azur 640c is interesting becuase it uses 2 wolfson DAC converters, one for each channel, and uses a torroidal power suppply, but I guess it all boils down to sound.
    I was thinking about upgrading to a universal DVD player for CD use but DVD is going to be a thing of the past once Blue Ray or HDDVD wins the battle and prices start dropping next year.
    The Music Hall is a substantial unit weighing in at 15lbs.. Hopefully some one in this forem has one and can give a review on it.

Thanks!
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Santa Claus
    Quote Originally Posted by blackraven
    Thanks guys, I like the NAD but the reviews on the Music Hall are excellent and I can mod it or buy one already modded for $780. The Azur 640c is interesting becuase it uses 2 wolfson DAC converters, one for each channel, and uses a torroidal power suppply, but I guess it all boils down to sound.
    I was thinking about upgrading to a universal DVD player for CD use but DVD is going to be a thing of the past once Blue Ray or HDDVD wins the battle and prices start dropping next year.
    The Music Hall is a substantial unit weighing in at 15lbs.. Hopefully some one in this forem has one and can give a review on it.

Thanks!
    I would seriously look in to the new Rega Apollo.I had the Apollo for awhile and was quite impressed.The only reason I don't have it now is I upgraded to the Saturn.I'm only suggesting it because your thinking about modifying the Music Hall for $780 and the Apollo is $995.The many reviews are calling the Apollo a break through CD player.Good luck.

Too late, I already purchased the Music Hall. Got a good deal with an upgraded Audio Quest power cord with RF filter and Audio Quest interconnects included for $549 and free shipping. Hope it sounds as good as the reviews! I guess if I don't like it I'll sell it on ebay of use it for my system in my basement. If I'm not mistaken, I thought the Rega was a similar unit to the music hall. I could be wrong though.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Santa Claus
    Too late, I already purchased the Music Hall. Got a good deal with an upgraded Audio Quest power cord with RF filter and Audio Quest interconnects included for $549 and free shipping. Hope it sounds as good as the reviews! I guess if I don't like it I'll sell it on ebay of use it for my system in my basement. If I'm not mistaken, I thought the Rega was a similar unit to the music hall. I could be wrong though.
    The MH is a good CD player,don't get me wrong but the Apollo is leaps and bounds better.To give you an idea I had the CA Azur 640c a good CD player and while I was at my local dealer I had the opportunity to listen to the Apollo.I was floored by how good it sounded.I then sold my dealer the CA and pick up the Apollo.Hope this helps

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

I don't know....

Quote Originally Posted by Fergymunster
    I would seriously look in to the new Rega Apollo.I had the Apollo for awhile and was quite impressed.The only reason I don't have it now is I upgraded to the Saturn.I'm only suggesting it because your thinking about modifying the Music Hall for $780 and the Apollo is $995.The many reviews are calling the Apollo a break through CD player.Good luck.
    It's a little late in the game for "break through" CD players. I've owed arguably some of the best mid-priced CD player and found the difference incremetally better. Even the penultimate CD payer to me, the Meridian 800, was to my ears, only incrementally better then my own.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffcin
    It's a little late in the game for "break through" CD players. I've owed arguably some of the best mid-priced CD player and found the difference incremetally better. Even the penultimate CD payer to me, the Meridian 800, was to my ears, only incrementally better then my own.

I agree with that statement... though I'm probably even more critical of CD players... since I've found that even comparing 'decent' mid-priced players to a the soundcard from a MAC or even a Panasonic DVD player, was not the overwhelming experience I would have hoped for...

Don't get me wrong... I do believe that source components makes a difference... but I suspect that unless you are running $10K speakers with $8k of amplification, the differences will likely be subtle...

All that being said, if I was to recommend a 'Break through' CD player... it would be the Marantz 5001.... not because it does anything radical.... but because it's a good sounding 'mid-priced' player just minus the 'mid-priced' part...

I picked one up yesterday for $275 Canadian (regular price $330 CDN).... and was amazed that it sounded better than my NAD CD Player that I bought less than two years ago for around $500.... I was honestly expecting to have to drop $1K for a Rotel or Arcam, to get better sound than the NAD and was more than pleasantly suprised by the Marantz...

Anyway I think I'll start a new thread for "recommended budget components"....

Its amazing the differences of opinions on various audio components. So much in high fidelity has to do with subjective or personal preferences. What sounds good to one persons ears does not sound good to anothers. Hopefully I will like the sound from the Music Hall CDP. I was looking for a CDP in the $500-600 range and that could be modified in the future. I've read all the reviews for the AzureC640, NAD C542, and marantz. They were all similar in their reviews so I went by price, aesthetics and ability to be modified. I guess I can always sell it or mod it if I dont like the sound. I would have liked to spend about $1500 on a CDP but I just spent about $3500 on equipment and my wife would have thrown me out of the house if I dropped another $1500.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by blackraven; 12-27-2006 at 04:02 PM.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Its amazing the differences of opinions on various audio components. So much in high fidelity has to do with subjective or personal preferences. What sounds good to one persons ears does not sound good to anothers.
    Truer words have never been spoken!! lol

Seriously though, you've hit the nail on the head when it comes to this hobby of ours... It's all highly subjective... So no matter how many recommendations you get... you really just need to listen for yourself...

Thread Information