AR Newbie Registered Member

Question good, inexpensive sacd player?

can anyone recommend a decent, cheap sacd-compatible player? I was considering the Pioneer DV-563A, but then I read that it converts the signal to pcm, and was wondering if this would affect the sound quality. I also came across the Sony DVP-NC685V and the Philips DVD 795SA, which are 5-disc changers and a bit more expensive. I'm primarily concerned with the sacd playback here.

You might want to recheck the specs.

I'm pretty sure that when it is doing it's SAVD/DVD-Audio thing, it sends it's output via the 6 RCA jacks in analog form into 6 matching jacks on the receiver that's doing the amplification.

As far as "PCM" goes, I believe it, along with "bitstream", are options for the digital audio portion of DVD video discs, and is a totally different animal.

Forum Regular
    I heard the pioneer elite DV45A is okie dokey for the price
    also there is marantz DV6400

I havent listened to them before. Just 2 options at a reasonable price.
    They are both single disk players though. I never liked the multi disk ones anyways.

Rich Tubey Goodness
    I would be vary wary of Sony's SACD players right now. I've been hearing reliabilty nightmare stories and that's from ES players that are less than two or three years into their warranties. I have a 775 that I got on close out a year ago and I'm watching it out of the corner of my eye. It will be replaced ASAP (possably by a Shanling). If I can get four years out of the Sony I will be very happy.

Quote Originally Posted by nene
    can anyone recommend a decent, cheap sacd-compatible player? I was considering the Pioneer DV-563A, but then I read that it converts the signal to pcm, and was wondering if this would affect the sound quality.

that was a false rumor going around. Although the player does have an issue with some DVD-a's...not all...only some.

I've actually just ordered a modded (by APL HiFi) 563a player...can't wait

As far as the Shanling goes...I would do some homework and audition some other players before buying one, just to be sure it's the player for you. (also look at other modded players)...I will say tho...the Shanling is a work of art to look at.

take care...and have fun!

enjoy the music!

What does modding the 563A get you?

Quote Originally Posted by N. Abstentia
    What does modding the 563A get you?

I'm hopin' it gets me some better sound

APL Pioneer 563a mod page

Pioneer 563A-s universal player mod with MOSFET output stage thread

I suppose I'll find out what it gets me in a month or two

take care>>>>>>>>>>>>

enjoy the music!

sylmar, ca. in beautiful so cal earthquake country

sony sacd changer

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...C685V&Dept=hav

check circuitcity.com for their price. personally, i got an ns500v for reeeely cheeeep and the cheeeep sonys are pretty good. read the review in the latest issue of the absolute sound.

unlike the review of this model, my redbook polayback is exemplary. anyway, i say go cheeeep.
    ...regards...tr

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    I borrowed a Pioneer 563a and the Pioneer Elite DV45A a while back for a head to head demo. Other than the obviously stronger structure of the Pioneer Elite, I couldn't hear any differences. My Studio 40's aren't anything special, mind you, but they're reasonable decent speakers and I'm under the impression I'd need way better, and more expensive, equipment to really hear the impact the more expensive players make.
    I have an Arcam CD player that retailed for over $850 new (bought used ). SACD and DVD-A's sound better than a CD in my Arcam player, I'd say go cheapo with the 563a and enjoy the multi-channel music.

This is exactly the comparison I'm looking for (Elite DV-45A vs DV-563A)!

The price difference is more than double so if the DV-563A comes close to the DV-45A's audio performance I'm sold.

Can you give us a little more information on your setup & your impression on the sound of both players?

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    My setup at the time was a Yamaha RX-V795a receiver, the two players, 2 Studio 40's, Studio 20's, and a Studio CC with a PW-2200 subwoofer. I ran the main speakers off an Adcom amplifer. For cables, I had some decent Acoustic Research rca's.
    To be perfectly honest both seemed to play tremendously well. The biggest impression I had was that the 563a uses cheaper components to keep costs down. It's considerably lighter and even a bit flimsy on the back side compared to the 45A. Less bells and whistles as I recall too. I don't think I paid enough attention to bass management features of both, but it wasn't a problem for me at all in my setup...that might be something you'd want to explore.
    The 45A seemed to feed more gain to my receiver, it was a bit louder when the volume dial was left alone and we switched components. I didn't verify this with an SPL meter, just my ears, I had to turn the 563a up a few more dB's...no big deal.

As for auditory differences, well I kept trying to convince myself that the 45a should and did sound better, but in all honesty, if it did, I couldn't hear it. It certainly wouldn't be a 10% difference or anything.
    I didn't buy either yet because I bought another subwoofer and a new receiver, but when I do choose, it'll be the 563a in a heartbeat. Probably mostly because of it's price. It does sound really good, and maybe in a few years when prices come down and formats get more stablished, I'd consider getting a better one.
    I can't tell you that I can hear the difference in quality between SACD or DVD-A, or even the 96/24 and 192kHz settings in 2-channel. But I only had a few selections. Diana Krall, Metallica, Pink Floyd, Yes, and Neil Young.
    For under $200 bucks though I was really impressed with the 563a. I've never owned a Pioneer anything, but people tell me they're reasonably reliable.

Just my 2 cents.

thanks Kexodusc. I'm gonna pick up a DV-563a tonight. FutureShop has an excellent refund policy. I just can't go wrong with the purchase.(like it = keep it, hate it = return it)

Just curious though, when exactly was the DV-45a released? I know the DV-563a is less than a year old, could it's low price be contributed to the trickle down tech from the DV-45a?

Thread Information