Forum Regular

Mega cd changer vs CD player

I see lot of guys in the HI end audio community are looking for CD Player. They cost from few hundreds of dollars to few thousands.

A CD player may hold few CD's at a time at the most 5. For example the Rega apollo which is a popular one holds only one CD. Is this not a inconvieniance. I Guess most of you have hundreds of CD's as a collection. Is it not botheration to look for specific CD all the time change it etc.

On the other hand Mega CD changers are great if you use them as Just transports. Why arent they popular. I Curious to know the reasons why the Mega CD changers failed in the Mass market as well as Hi end market.

Let me know your reasons for not liking them.

Thanks
    Pandu

Quote Originally Posted by pdhanwada
    I see lot of guys in the HI end audio community are looking for CD Player. They cost from few hundreds of dollars to few thousands.

A CD player may hold few CD's at a time at the most 5. For example the Rega apollo which is a popular one holds only one CD. Is this not a inconvieniance. I Guess most of you have hundreds of CD's as a collection. Is it not botheration to look for specific CD all the time change it etc.

On the other hand Mega CD changers are great if you use them as Just transports. Why arent they popular. I Curious to know the reasons why the Mega CD changers failed in the Mass market as well as Hi end market.

Thanks
    Pandu
    At my place we have at least 1200 CDs; I'd need a rack of Mega changers to hold so many.

Instead the collection is stored on computer files and can be played back from any computer on the network, (currenly 5 of them), one of which is connected directly to, and dedicated to, my main stereo system. This is really a more practical and flexible method of accessing music than any CD player, single, multiple, or Mega.

BTW, my home network looks like this, (approximately) ...

Some music is store on the WHS machine, some on the Dedicated Music machine. The Dedicated PC -to- stereo system connection is shown in more detail in the following diagram
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mega cd changer vs CD player-pcmusicconfig-700-.jpg  

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by pdhanwada

Thanks
    Pandu
    I guess another reason is that the Transport in most changers is nowhere near the quality of a single player transport in a decent quality CDP. They have to skimp on something to give you the multi capability.

Also, much more stuff to go bad, many more moving parts, in the changers.

Thread Information