Forum Regular

Talking Sweet sounding CD player- Arcam CD72t

I have been looking for a dedicated CD player for about 6 months now.
    I read many reviews on different models and listened to as many as I could.
    Decided to pick up the Arcam CD72t used. WOW! I have had about 4 CD players
    and to DVD/CD players going back to 1985. This is the best sound...by far.

The sound is broad with a very wide soundstage. It is detailed and you can hear every
    nuance and instrument being played loud or very soft in the recording. I like the range
    of this player. The british mags like What Hi-Fi? and HI-FI Choice gave this player very
    great marks in 2001 through 2003. Now the CD73T has replaced it. It you have
    $400 to $500 to spend .....audition the CD72t or CD73t.

WAK

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by psyopwak

The sound is broad with a very wide soundstage. It is detailed and you can hear every
    nuance and instrument being played loud or very soft in the recording. I like the range
    of this player. The british mags like What Hi-Fi? and HI-FI Choice gave this player very

WAK
    Or, they can audition less expensive ones in an objective manner and come to the same conclusion?
    mtrycrafts

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by psyopwak

WAK
    Don't have to audition it, already did, bought same!

Most people don't realize that it's what comes AFTER the decoding that makes the CD player really shine. All CD players use the same decoding, and some even use the same AD converters. The real difference lies in the quality of the electronics AFTER the decoding. The Arcam line, and the CD72 in particular represent to me the best value in "better quality" CD players. Above this point you come to a real steep cost/improvment curve. I've heard multi thousand dollar CD players, and the Arcam can give you about 95% of that quality for a much better value.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Forum Regular
    Just wondering what type of interconnects you went with. Did you use digital coax or fibre? Or did you go with a good set off analog RCAs which is probably preffered since the D/A are probably better in the CD player.

Forum Regular

Wink Kimber Cables

Quote Originally Posted by meyer
    Just wondering what type of interconnects you went with. Did you use digital coax or fibre? Or did you go with a good set off analog RCAs which is probably preffered since the D/A are probably better in the CD player.
    Meyer

I use Kimber cables (analog and digital) I find the digital link to be better sounding.

William

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by meyer
    I'm using Homegrown Audio Silver lace with the Rhodium locking connectors. If your getting better quality using the digital connection then your analog cables arent up to snuff, as the DACs in the Arcam are the ones your should be using.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Forum Regular

hey geoffcin!

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffcin
    I'm using Homegrown Audio Silver lace with the Rhodium locking connectors. If your getting better quality using the digital connection then your analog cables arent up to snuff, as the DACs in the Arcam are the ones your should be using.
    I am curious...have you tried the DVD audio or SACD arena yet? I am kicking around the idea of getting a sub $700 universal player. heard about or have a good one?

Psyopwak (arcam fan)

Forum Regular

Question Confused here..:)

I am confused ! You say that this is the best cd player you came across around 500$. But you say that you use the digital output of the player.This means that you are not using the DAC in the player.
    1.Are you using an outboard DAC for playback ?
    2.Are you using the DAC of some av reciever ?
    In either case, what is the validity of your claim ? You could probably claim that the Arcam is the best transport available for 500 $ which is debatable.

Forum Regular
    Hey Hertz

Slow down there...a little. I have both a digital and analog link to a Denon AVR-4800
    and I listen to both links. I should have said I like the SOUND of the digital link
    over the analog one. Both the Arcam and DENON DAC's sound good to me. Not really saying one is better than the other since listening is a subjective thing. My post was to offer an opinion on the sound
    of the player, which is warm, clean and nice. I would never try to get into a debate
    about one player, transport or DAC being better over another. This is just my
    experience.

happy listening
    psyopwak

Forum Regular

okay...I get your point friend..:)

okay...I get your point friend..
    I have a dealer friend who deals in Arcam, Nad, Marantz, cadence, audio analogue etc...I spend most of my free time during weekends at his place.From my experience, if you need to know the difference with DACs you should connect the arcam cd player to an audiophile grade stereo amp like the Audio anlogue or even Arcam using good quality analogue interconnects.From my exp none of the recievers including the high end Marantz could reproduce the texture and subtle nuances in the sound naturally.If you need to evaluate two cd players, I guess you need to connect both to the same same audiophile grade amp and speakers in the same room using the same interconnects and play the same music.Then you will see..
    I think you are limiting the arcam's capability using the denon reciever.

Forum Regular
    hertz

Thanks for the reccomendation. Funny you should mention the AMP
    idea, since I have a Parasound and am thinking about getting a more
    quality preamp/processor to go with it and the cd player. Then again I
    also contemplated getting a good sacd/dvd-a player, just to compare
    the CD player sound to the new format.

psyopwak

Thread Information