Forum Regular

Is there any easy fix to keep my CD changer from skipping?

I have an Onkyo C390 6 disc CD changer. It's a great player and I love it, but at high volumes it tends to skip whenever vibrations are heavy (bass/drums). It never skips on lower volumes. I'd rather not get a new player, so is there any home remedy to this?

PDN
    Forum Regular
    Yes. What you have here is an isolation problem since this is only occuring at the higher volumes. There are a number of "shock absorber" type products on the market for CD players. I went with a product called "Vibrapods". I have 3 CD players and have a set of 4 under each one. Problem solved. Go to www.vibrapod.com for more info and a local dealer reference. There are a number of models to choose from having to do with the weight of your player. Be sure and use the correct model for your unit. (I believe they're all the same physical size but the air cushion differs depending on the weight they must support.) Vibrapods are rated in the weight they EACH can support so be sure to divide the weight of your CDP by 4 and then cross refernence the particular vibrapod rating. You'll probably need either Models 1 or 2. You can keep the feet on your CD players (as I do) or remove them. I keep them on since this can only add to the isolation and help the Vibrapods work better. A set of 4 is about $24.00. Try them out. They work very well for me. Also, be sure and keep your CD's clean. I'm sure you know that already. Hope this helps.

Diy...

There are a few ways to do this yourself and I will recommend some cheap and easy methods. What you want to do is essentially what the high-end products offer, like isolation feet etc etc. I have found that there are a few household items that can at least help out. The first method involves drawer liner material that you can buy just about anywhere that keeps things from moving around, you can use this to make a sheet that fits under your player. This will help keep the player steady, but also you can add some rubber feet as well, which they usually sell in stores where they have furniture movers (those little coaster items). You can pick up replacement feet that are suppose to be for chairs and use that to elevate your unit on top of the drawer material. Together it makes for one really stiff and hard to move setup. Also, when doing this you could add some weight to the top of your player, such as a thick book or something that has a bit of weight to help keep the player even more steady and spin right. Another solution would be high-density foam, use it the same way under your player and then allow the feet to sink into the foam for stiffness.

if you are handy, here is a fairly simple and easy iso-platform that you can DIY.
    http://www.audiotweaks.com/diy2/bran...orm/page01.htm
    AR MGC-1, AR C225 PS, M&K V-1B, Pioneer VSX 47TX, Oppo BDP-83, Squeezebox v3, Vortexbox Appliance.

Forum Regular
    Thanks, I'll consider those options and see what works best.

Thread Information