OWNED BY A GREYHOUND PAOGORMAN2001's Avatar

Sacd Player Worth It?

I've been toying with the idea of getting a universal player like a NAD T585 or one of the Oppo models. Right now I'm using a NAD C521BEE cd player hooked into a NAD C162 preamp and C272 power amp for ]two channel music only.Is the sound of Sacd's good enough justify the change and does anyone have any experience with either brand listed? do I need a DAC . Sorry but I'm new to this Sacd thing
    Thanks in advance
    Pogo
    NAD M3 INTEGRATED

REGA APOLLO CDP

B&W 805S SPEAKERS

BOSTON ACOUSTICS PV700 200 WATT POWERERD SUB

There is some disagreement

Quote Originally Posted by PAOGORMAN2001
    I've been toying with the idea of getting a universal player like a NAD T585 or one of the Oppo models. Right now I'm using a NAD C521BEE cd player hooked into a NAD C162 preamp and C272 power amp for ]two channel music only.Is the sound of Sacd's good enough justify the change and does anyone have any experience with either brand listed? do I need a DAC . Sorry but I'm new to this Sacd thing
    Thanks in advance
    Pogo
    For myself, I would say 'no', SACD isn't worth it for 2-ch audio. Multi-channel is another matter though: M/C can bring a level of realism that stereo simply cannot.

I own an Oppo DV-980H but it's in my HT system, not my main music system. Since my main system is 2-ch, I occassionally listen to M/C SACDs on the Oppo. There it works well in the HT both for DVDs and for SACDs.

Ajani
    In addition to Feanor's points, you may also want to consider whether enough music that you like is available on SACD... If you're not a classical fan, then you maybe very dissapointed with the album options....

Aging Smartass
    I have to jump in here and answer the original question with an unqualified, "Yes." I purchased the Marantz SA-8001 SACD player primarily for its outstanding redbook CD capabilities, and regarded the 2-channel SACD capability as just a rather insignificant extra. Boy, have I been wrong!

While the 8001 is a truly outstanding CD player (it didn't get the Stereophile Class-A recommendation for nothing!), as good as CD's sound on it, SACD's sound that much better. There is an all new multi-dimensional quality to the playback of a well recorded SACD that the CD layer alone just can't duplicate.

There's little question that the largest number of SACD's are classical (which is fine by me), but there is still a large assortment of other material available. Finding that material is another story altogether, as SACD websites often just lump everything together in no order whatsoever, so finding what you want can be a rather annoying venture.

If your primary goal is better fidelity, then a good SACD player is definitely the way to go. The multi-channel aspect is wonderful, if you have the space to accomodate four or five decent loudspeakers, as well as the budget to afford them and also their necesssary amplification. Still, the 2-channel audio quality of an SACD is often nothing less than outstanding. So, go for it!

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Ya what Emaidel said. My positive experience is also with the Marantz SA 8001.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Simply put, if you enjoy the classical or jazz formats you are missing out on a major area of enjoyment within this hobby should you choose not to invest in a decent SACD player.

Aging Smartass
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    Simply put, if you enjoy the classical or jazz formats you are missing out on a major area of enjoyment within this hobby should you choose not to invest in a decent SACD player.
    My SACD's of "Tommy," "The Dark Side of the Moon," and Eric Clapton's "Slowhand" don't fit in the classical or jazz formats, but they too sound pretty good!

Well I have to chime in here as well. I don't have the SA-8001, but I do have Marantz's VC6001 Universal Player. When I first got it I played Diana Kralls "Temptation " from "The Girl in the other room" hybird CD in SACD M/C. Man was I floored! Now I had heard that same song before but never from a SACD. I then played a few cuts from her "The look of love SACD, I was just as floored.

So the next day after reading about those who buy nothing but two channel SACD's I decided to listen in two channel. Man was I disapponted. My regular CD's sounded just as good. And the player even has a setting to play the CD's in upsampling mode to get better and clearer sound, as well as a setting to turn of all possible "noise" in the system to give even better clarity. BUt I continued to listen to SACD in two channel and you know what? I think the player needed breaking in. After many hours the SACD two channel sounds even better than the regular CD's So I am a fan now.

ANd I must also agree that there are many SACD out there. You just wont find them in your local B/M record store. You have to go to the many web sites to find what you want. BUt is SACD worth it? You betcha!

frenchmon

Suspended
    I'll reserve comment until the OP (with the REALLY BIG username) chimes in with his musical tastes.

But FWIW, the Oppo models are a great bang-for-the-buck IMO.

Thread Information