Forum Regular

stupid question about TV/DVD combo

Hi,

So I have a stupid question. I borrowed a cheap (really cheap) DVD/TV combo from a friend and had intended to plug it into my rotel integrated amp. I understand that the amp has no DAC and simply amplifies the signal, but I had figured that if the TV turned the signal into sound on its own speakers it'd have a DAC (although cheap and crappy). However, on plugging the audion outs into the amp I simply get a hissing. I assume that this means that I need a reciever for this application. However, as I dont intend to keep this TV, will I have the same problem with an isolated DVD player/CD player, or should I simply ensure that it has the necessary DAC before buying one?

THanks for tolerating the stupid questions, but i had thought I'd get some sound outta my system as the built in speakers aren't even worth using.

-CHris

AR Regular

No such thing as a stupid question

Quote Originally Posted by jucas
    Hi,

So I have a stupid question. I borrowed a cheap (really cheap) DVD/TV combo from a friend and had intended to plug it into my rotel integrated amp. I understand that the amp has no DAC and simply amplifies the signal, but I had figured that if the TV turned the signal into sound on its own speakers it'd have a DAC (although cheap and crappy). However, on plugging the audion outs into the amp I simply get a hissing. I assume that this means that I need a reciever for this application. However, as I dont intend to keep this TV, will I have the same problem with an isolated DVD player/CD player, or should I simply ensure that it has the necessary DAC before buying one?

THanks for tolerating the stupid questions, but i had thought I'd get some sound outta my system as the built in speakers aren't even worth using.

-CHris
    The outputs you plugged into maybe digital out rather than analogue (I'm only guessing not knowing the equipment in question). If they were analogue, your amp would just amplify as you first thought. If you buy a stand alone DVD/CD player, you should have no problems because, as well as digital outs, they have stereo analgue outs which plug into any amp. I myself have not gone surround yet and only have a stereo, non digital amp, and my DVD player works fine. If the quality of sound is important to you, don't buy a bargain basement player because these have poor quality DACs.

Thread Information