Forum Regular

Which Sound Card

After upgrading most of the rest of my sound system I've noticed that my computer is the weak link in the chain. Right now I just have it plugged into the headphone jack. I need a new external sound card for my laptop because the soundcard that's in it is pretty much crap. I've got a pretty good music stock on my computer (6500) and I want it to sound as good as it can. I also watch some movies through it that have surround sound. I need a soundcard that has:
    1. A digital out(That's all that I will use to connect to my reciever)
    2. At least 5.1 capability(would prefer 7.1 since that's what my reciever is and I might be picking up another pair of speakers soon)
    3. Cheap(I'm in college)
    I don't care about inputs because I won't be using them. I want it to sound good, but my music is in mp3's and wma's at between 192 and 320 so I know it won't sound as good as the wav files no matter which sound card. Also, I have an xbox for games so I don't play any on my computer. I read the article already and started looking at the m-audio transit but since I won't need any inputs, is there anything cheaper that will sound good? Also, does m-audio have anything like the revolution in an external card?

Forum Regular

Sound Card

Take a look at the Chaintech AV710, which can be had on-line for under $30. It has a digital optical output and even a Wolfson DAC if you use its analog output.

Forum Regular
    It looks like a nice card, but I need an external one. Usb would be preferred because I don't have firewire, but if that's the best card for price, i could get an adapter. I really like the revolution by M-audio(7.1), but it's an internal card as well. If anybody knows of something similar for a similar price but external, please post.

AR Newbie Registered Member

Talking Have u guys heard much on the Xtreme XS1 b4?

Hi Everyone, im sorry if im doing this in the wrong spot I am new at the Forum scene.
    I recently purchased a new soundcard avalible on the market called the "Xtreme XS1 USB Soundcard" and I must say it asolutly blew my mind away all you guys have to check it out.

I am a Mobile DJ who uses PCDJ MP3 software and when I used this USB Soundcard the sound quality produced was unlike any soundcard iv ever seen! I mean I was so blown away apart from the amazing signal to noise ratio, the bit that got me was that NO DRIVERS NEEDS TO BE INSALLED!! it runs standalone perfectly,can you belive it!

You guys HAVE to check out this soundcard a.s.a.p. it has phono lines in and has an amplified stereo and is unlike anything i have ever seen it is that good~
    the web site for Xtreme-Sound is http//:www.xtreme-sound.net guys go check out this card it is amazing what it can do i am so happy with it!

Forum Regular

Thread Information