Is this the place to ask about Squeezebox or similar products?

I'm not a big digital guy, don't own an iPod and not much fond of MP3s. But, I have a bit of a storage issue with music. Now, my vinyl stays, no questions there, and it will continue to grow. But, I don't have the same attachment to the CDs. I've heard a bit about the Squeezebox and am curious about this as an option (although I'm not looking to do this tomorrow or anything, just kinda scoping things out). My understanding is I could rip my CDs to a computer anywhere in my place and put Squeezebox receivers on any stereos and wirelessly get access to lossless music files anywhere in the place.

Is this accurate? If so, is anyone currently doing this and how are the results both in terms of useability and sound quality? Are there other products out there competing with Squeezebox to perform a similar task? Would I get better sound quality if I ran wires throughout the house rather than connecting wirelessly? How much hard drive space would be required to save say 2,000 or more CDs in Flac? Would there be any special requirements getting a hard drive or would the cheapest available be sufficient? Are there questions I need to know the answer to that I'm not asking?

Any experiences or ideas would be welcome. Thanks.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Whattup D,

Good to see you around these parts. For a comprehensive read on the subject check out this classic: Pssst, letting you in on a little secret: You Don't Need a CD Player!

For some reason my addled brain is telling me that Slosh uses one also, but that might not be wholly accurate...one of those RR bozos ...and I don't think it'd hurt to post over there either. Most of 'em don't make it outta their little subforum home but I'm sure several of them could be helpful with the hands-on stuff.

Anyway, I haven't used one myself nor do I plan on it. I happen to have an extra computer lying around with a coxial output from the soundcard, so ultimately my plan is to use that. (That decision is not meant to diminish the stature of the Squeezebox, I just might as well use what I already got, nahmean) Let us know how it goes.

Peace

Thanks for the link. I'll go check it out. Trying to find some solution to CDs everywhere. The wife may not be a fan of this idea though, 'cause here first questions was....well, how do I bring the music in my car? So, she sounds like she wants to keep the CDs. Her solution is to just stop buying CDs (she's a big music fan as well, but has little to no use for new stuff, maybe hears 1 or 2 new discs she likes in a given year) until we have more space available. But that's simply unacceptable. We're gonna have to figure something out.

Quote Originally Posted by nobody
    My understanding is I could rip my CDs to a computer anywhere in my place and put Squeezebox receivers on any stereos and wirelessly get access to lossless music files anywhere in the place.

Is this accurate?
    Yes.

If so, is anyone currently doing this and how are the results both in terms of useability and sound quality?
    I use a Squeezebox, but I've hooked it up via CAT5 cable instead of going wirelessly. It's close enough to the computer so that there was no need to go wireless, that's the only reason.

The sound is great. First, be aware that there are several ways to output. Using the analog RCA outs is pretty good, but if you want audiophile-quality sound, you can take the digital out and send to a high-quality DAC, so the thing is basically scalable to very high quality.

But the RCA analog outs will rival a decent CD player in terms of quality.

Are there other products out there competing with Squeezebox to perform a similar task?
    I think so -- e.g. the Roku, but I don't know anything about it.

Would I get better sound quality if I ran wires throughout the house rather than connecting wirelessly?
    Won't make any difference to the sound quality.

How much hard drive space would be required to save say 2,000 or more CDs in Flac?
    Depends on your CDs. FLAC gets you about 50% reduction in file size. Most audio CDs don't use the full 650 MB (or whatever it is), and if you have a lot of classical (not high volume levels), you might be looking at around 100-200 MB per CD or so.

I've got about 1,000 CD's, make takes up 300 GB or so.

Would there be any special requirements getting a hard drive or would the cheapest available be sufficient?
    No special requirements, BUT if you get something cheap, be sure you back up your rips.

Are there questions I need to know the answer to that I'm not asking?
    Yes - E.g., the best way to rip your CDs. First of all, if you have hundreds of CDs or more, be aware that it will be a lot of work/time to rip them. You can send them off to be ripped by a service, but that will be extra $$. Also, be sure to use a software with error-correction (e.g. Exact Audio Copy).

Also, if you plan to sell your CDs after ripping them, be aware that that's probably illegal.

One other huge benefit of the Squeezebox: Internet Radio!!! It's absolutely awesome. If you get one, be sure to take advantage of it.

Also, check out the forums for more info:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/
    There's an audiophile born every minute. Congratulations; you're right on time.

FREE RADICAL RADIO: Hours of free, radical MP3s!

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Thanks for the info Mike.

I was wondering if you were gonna spy this thread. Good to have you around.

Cool

I just got a 99 dollar simpletech HD, 320 gig, usb, with a neat light on top, unit was designed by pinnafarina.
    The plan is to rip my CD collection to flac, and put it on this drive.
    Want to send the music anywhere, networking will do.
    As for the wife, rip the CD collection to an ipod, get a car adapter, make a great present.
    I really never saw the need for servers, squeezeboxes, etc, server software is basically free, and your "server" can be a hard drive on your computer.
    Sure a lot cheaper, and sounds audiophile grade
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    The plan is to rip my CD collection to flac, and put it on this drive.
    Want to send the music anywhere, networking will do.
    As for the wife, rip the CD collection to an ipod, get a car adapter, make a great present.
    I really never saw the need for servers, squeezeboxes, etc, server software is basically free, and your "server" can be a hard drive on your computer.
    Sure a lot cheaper, and sounds audiophile grade
    How do you plan to get the audio signal out of the hard drive and into your stereo, exactly?

Also, the Squeezebox comes with a remote that lets you control your music without accessing a computer. That includes Internet radio.
    Last edited by Mike Anderson; 01-21-2008 at 09:23 AM.
    There's an audiophile born every minute. Congratulations; you're right on time.

FREE RADICAL RADIO: Hours of free, radical MP3s!

Ajani
    I'm not a big digital guy, don't own an iPod and not much fond of MP3s. But, I have a bit of a storage issue with music. Now, my vinyl stays, no questions there, and it will continue to grow. But, I don't have the same attachment to the CDs. I've heard a bit about the Squeezebox and am curious about this as an option (although I'm not looking to do this tomorrow or anything, just kinda scoping things out). My understanding is I could rip my CDs to a computer anywhere in my place and put Squeezebox receivers on any stereos and wirelessly get access to lossless music files anywhere in the place.

Is this accurate? If so, is anyone currently doing this and how are the results both in terms of useability and sound quality? Are there other products out there competing with Squeezebox to perform a similar task? Would I get better sound quality if I ran wires throughout the house rather than connecting wirelessly? How much hard drive space would be required to save say 2,000 or more CDs in Flac? Would there be any special requirements getting a hard drive or would the cheapest available be sufficient? Are there questions I need to know the answer to that I'm not asking?

You have a lot of options and more seem to be poping up each day...

Some good options include:

The traditional Squeezbox

The new Squeezbox Duet (gives you a nice little LCD remote for scrolling through your music collection - a big improvement over trying to use the screen on the traditional squeezebox from across the room).

Sonos - basically the more expensive version of the Squeezeboz duet (but has the advantage that it uses its own wireless network - so you don't need to setup a wireless network for your computer)

AppleTV - if you have your stereo/ht setup around your tv then this would be a decent option (though I believe you'd need to use applelossless instead of flac)...

Mac mini - I used this option for awhile - I had a mac mini conected to my tv/ht setup - and used the supplied apple remote to scroll through my music collection...

Hard drives

Computer sound is as good or better than direct from CD, differences depending mainly on the DAC you're using. In my case I use a dedicated WinXP machining playing Apple Lossless files via either iTunes or Foobar2000. I used an M-Audio external sound card feeding a separate DAC. The sound is pretty much indistiguishable from my CDP feeding the same DAC.

If you're going have 2000 CDs' worth of FLAC files, the ideal would be two one terabyte disks running in the appropriate RAID configuration to write identical files to both disks. One thing is for sure: you must have backups of your files since all hard disks eventually fail and you won't want to re-rip your entire collection all over again.

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    nobody,

I don't recall if you are an Apple/iTunes user. If so there is another compatible alternative using Apple's Airport express. I will elaborate if you wish. Squeezebox, however, seems to be a great device and you're in good hands with Mike A, feanor, and msslt.

I would highlight the very wise investment in quality storage and a back up.

I would also highlight the 'do it once, do it right' philosophy. on a PC use EAC for ripping. On a Mac use MAX (not as good as EAC but best available).

It takes time to do a large library. It's well worth thinking it out. Ask twice, rip once.

Thanks for all the answers. I don't use Itunes, do use EAC for all my ripping/burning already.

The new duet looks really interesting. I like that remote, the graphical interface seems like something the wife would enjoy using as well.

Still not sure if I wanna go this direction just yet. It does look like a major commitment with all the ripping to hard drives and getting the computer setup ready with all the storage necessary. I'll probably hold off until we move into a bigger place where we'd want to have the music available in multiple rooms. I see more of an advantage to such a system in that kinda situation. In the little place we are now, the only savings would be storage space for the CDs, and my wife has already told me even if we do something like this, she wants to have the CDs available so she can take them in her car, so it doesn't sound like we'd be able to pack 'em all away anyway.

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    Yeah, but once it's all digital your wife will want all her music on a portable player for the car... My wife is very happy we went digital. Now I don't have a big pile of jewel cases laying all over the stereo, and the floor, and the...

The trick is to just do it over time. Took me on the order of 6 months...

Thread Information