Get the 8001 without delay!

Pops...im just sitting here listening to the Marantz 6001 in Redbook...Got some Grover Washington playing, his "All My Tomorrows" CD . And the Marantz just got me feeling all good and really moving me. So I decided to play the same songs on the MF X-Ray v8. The X-Ray is an outstanding player in another class from the Maranzt 6001. The X-Ray has way better fidelity than the 6001. But where the Marantz has the X-Ray beat is in the warmth. Its so warm and smooth like. Sorta like a analog sound. It really touches you with what it has to offer. Remember my friend. In my long experience with Marantz gear its almost as if it was made for cool Jazz and nice classical. Marantz are traditionally warm and they have a slight roll off or rounded sound on the highs on some of the mid fi gear but they have a great mid section and bottom end sound if you listen and if you start to compare them to more edgy solid state stuff. IF you have good lively speakers that are not really suttle or laid back the Marantz will shine for you.

If I where you I would get the 8001 hands down...especially if you are getting a deal on the player. My player the 6001 is two step down from the 8001 with the 7001 being in the middle so the sound and warmth of the 8001 will be even more fun.

Go for it and don't wait...get the 8001 its a great player with a nice warm smooth sound that will do your Jazz collection right. I know it will because you are a vinyl slut...ahh I mean vinyl lover just like me.

Cheers.
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    You're right. Although it's not in the same league, my Magnavox has that same warmth you're talking about. For some time, Philips/Magnavox and Marantz shared much of the same internal components, and ultimately the same warm sound. Those years helped to shape what people have come to expect from a Marantz player. Hopefully JRA and I can seal a deal.

I have an extra Magnavox CDB-482 which I'll be sending to Adam. I definitely want something from the SA series, but I always have my eye open for old school Philips/Marantz, Mission and Arcam. I don't care what anybody says, I think they still sound great. The players with the TDA 1541A are tough to beat IMO. It would certainly take more than a few hundred bucks nowadays.

The 6001 has a different chip you do know correct? I believe the 8001 does.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Different than the TDA series you mean? Of course...

I owned the Marantz 8001 and did an in home audition of the 8003. My good friend has the 8001 in his reference system. As Frenchmon stated, the Marantz units are warm and smooth but tend to be less detailed and resolving to comparable players in that price range. They really shine in playing SACD's. They are great players if you want to warm up the sound or want a more analog sounding player. I could have lived with both the 8001/8003 but they sounded slightly muddy when compared to my Cambridge Audio 840c/740c and Van Alstine hybrid DAC. It was probably system matching as the 8001 does not sound as muddy in my friends system, although it still lacks some of the detail and resolution of the other players I mentioned.

By the way, Stereophile the 8001 a Class A rating and called it one great player.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    Different than the TDA series you mean? Of course...
    When I first got the 6001, I was so impressed with all that it could do. Plays DVD-V, DVD-A, SACD-Multi, SACD-Stereo, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, SVCD, VCD, CD, CD-R/CD-RW, MP3, WMA, JPEG, DiVX HDMI Output with Scaling (1080p, 1080i, 720p and 480p) 5-Disc Carousel

But it still had a few things I did not like but could live with. It would not advance to the next movie when one ended, you had to do it with the remote. I thought that was odd seeing that it advanced on SACD's and Redbook. It also was a slow loader. But considering it performance in every thing else, which was outstanding I could live with those two things...

The 7.1 SACD and stereo SACD was very very good and clear, DVD-A is very good and Redbook play back is good as well and warm analog. SACD is analog play back and it has that analog sound which I like.

But what I did notice was that they never listed the chip set for the audio. So I called Marantz and had a nice long talk about the 6001 and found out rather than purchase the chip from a chip maker, they told me they made it in house for that player. IF you search online for it or scan Marantz literature you wont find the name any where. According to the tech I talked to it was there own chip.

For now, I use the player as mainly a 2 channel SACD player in my main system. I though about getting the SA 8001, but I am holding out for a Marantz Reference SACD player one of these days. I think Marantz players are that good that the 6001 will do me fine until I am ready to purchase a Marantz player one of these days which is down the list a bit.

So Pops, don't miss out on the SA8001...you like analog sound from a SACDP? Just remember its not like many solid state players in its price class that are very detailed and have great fidelity. This player will give you cohesiveness in the sound with out being analytical...at lease my 6001 behaves like that. My Musical Fidelity will have you grooving and moving to the music because its not analytical either but it is detailed. You know what I mean by that last remark...not analitical but detailed? The X-Ray has a slight sweet tube tone to it and not rolled off and its not like the 6001 that has a more analog and warmer tone. I suspect the 8001 is similar. Treble on the 6001 is slightly rounded if you compare to a player thats not....I suspect the 8001 is as well. Just like horns sound on albums, you get a little of that from the 6001. I suspect the 8001 will give you that as well. And remember, it is my opinion that Marantz players are great for Jazz and classical music.

So go and get it Pops....join us Marantz fan boys. You help to sell me on returning back to Vinyl...im just returning the favor.
    Last edited by frenchmon; 07-01-2010 at 03:32 PM.

Hey Raven...you still sporting the 840c? I dont see it in your sig.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    I have the Marantz SA 8001 and I enjoy it very much. Using the AlphaCore TQ2 in my system the SA 8001 sounds both detailed and musical. Yes it is just on the warm side but not objectionably so. Oh and the sound with SACD is even better.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon
    Hey Raven...you still sporting the 840c? I dont see it in your sig.

Nope! I'm using my modified Music Hall 25.2 cdp as a transport with my VA DAC, I am also using a Yamaha S-1700 DVD player for SACD. I wish I had kept the 840c for use as a transport as it has great functionality and build quality.
    Last edited by blackraven; 07-02-2010 at 09:42 AM.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Aging Smartass
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    I have the Marantz SA 8001 and I enjoy it very much. Using the AlphaCore TQ2 in my system the SA 8001 sounds both detailed and musical. Yes it is just on the warm side but not objectionably so. Oh and the sound with SACD is even better.
    What he said. And then some. I only recently added the silver Alpha Core TQ-2 interconnects, which, amongst a host of other noticeable improvements, added a new level of sparkle and upper-end detail to the 8001.

Yeah that's what silver does to the upper ranges of sound...I've been trying to locate a site for Alpha Core, but it seems to escape me. Where can I look on line please?

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon
    Yeah that's what silver does to the upper ranges of sound...I've been trying to locate a site for Alpha Core, but it seems to escape me. Where can I look on line please?

Since you asked nicely.

http://www.goertzaudio.com/index.html

Now I use the copper version of TQ2 and still find it as detailed. I am sure there is difference in the upper frequencies.

They have a biwire speaker cable with copper for the low frequencies and silver for the upper range. I may have to try that cable.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    Since you asked nicely.

http://www.goertzaudio.com/index.html

Now I use the copper version of TQ2 and still find it as detailed. I am sure there is difference in the upper frequencies.

They have a biwire speaker cable with copper for the low frequencies and silver for the upper range. I may have to try that cable.

Well thank you sir.

Thread Information