Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sacd

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat View Post
    That is a statement in itself. Not even considerable enough to be on their radar!
    No simpleton, that is not true at all. It is just the RIAA data is incomplete, and therefore inaccurate. Ralph, anytime you can just surf the net and pull down data, it is almost always incomplete on inaccurate.

If you want accurate complete data, you have to pay for it.

I have said this to you before, but it just does not penetrate your thick head. If you start off with inaccurate data, any conclusions you come up with based on that data is wrong PERIOD.

I am done with this. I said in 2013 I was going to not engage with the half cocked.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible View Post
    No simpleton, that is not true at all. It is just the RIAA data is incomplete, and therefore inaccurate.
    By all means, do enlighten us as to the (in)significance of Blu Ray music content. I'm not referring to recycled "live" concerts. Can you name three artists available on such?

Feanor did a pretty good job already.

Did I miss something?

Someow, I thought we were discussing SACD's, an audio format, not a video format.

I musta fell asleep.

Quote Originally Posted by markw View Post
    Someow, I thought we were discussing SACD's, an audio format, not a video format.

I musta fell asleep.
    No, you're quite awake. Most of us were discussing an audio format.

Well downloads are OK with me though I'd like a multi-channel option. But there again where is the software? There are (for example) only 500-700 classical albums at HDtracks.com, (and they're only stereo).

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
    Maybe not, but whenever I've tried to discuss classical albums, say in Rave Recordings, response has been very poor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible View Post
    I would like to add several more very poor's to your statement. Don't even mention classical or jazz in surround, or the crickets chirping would be deafening.
    Honestly, the response is poor for the majority of RR postings. But, that doesn't mean they're not appreciated. There's a wide wide world of sound and not everyone has something interesting to say on any specific post (I know you two old timers know this). Don't make excuses to not share your enthusiasm in RR... and be polite. ;-)
    TCA ATT GGA

Multi-channel audio doesn't fit with my lifestyle. There's only 2-channels in my headphones. When I'm at home I listen while I do stuff so I'm never in the 5-channel sweet spot long enough. If I had time to sit, I'd be all over it...AND I'd listen to more classical.

But then there's still the problem with SACD format distribution and access. Sony screwed up with SACD in my not-at-all-informed-by-information opinion. They tried to use superior format to draw people to the Sony brand. But who wants to adopt a whole new format that you can only play on a few players? I didn't and I didn't like the mid-level Sony players at the time. Plus, there's no way to make SACD portable. Hybrid SACDs were and are great. If they had been priced competitively and if Sony would've completely switched to Hybrid only releases, I think we'd all be buying SACDs now, regardless of channel number.
    TCA ATT GGA

Quote Originally Posted by noddin0ff View Post
    Honestly, the response is poor for the majority of RR postings. But, that doesn't mean they're not appreciated. There's a wide wide world of sound and not everyone has something interesting to say on any specific post (I know you two old timers know this). Don't make excuses to not share your enthusiasm in RR... and be polite. ;-)
    Was I being impolite? Geez, I hope not. Or are the facts rude?

The fact is that I don't have to shout down the RR well on the subject of classical recordings; I can and do go to classical music forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
    Was I being impolite? Geez, I hope not. Or are the facts rude?

The fact is that I don't have to shout down the RR well on the subject of classical recordings; I can and do go to classical music forums.
    I wish you would shout down the RR well. I enjoy your posts.
    TCA ATT GGA

Quote Originally Posted by noddin0ff View Post
    I wish you would shout down the RR well. I enjoy your posts.
    So stay tuned and I'll begin to pass on a few classical recommendations. I have quite a few that I can recommend based on composition, performance, and sound quality.

Quote Originally Posted by markw View Post
    As it stands,it might hover around the periphery for a few years, or as long as the hardware is thrown in wit DVD/Blu-Ray players but the possibility of it ever becoming more than it is is long gone. I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did.
    With a very specific segment of the buying public, SACD has shown surprising staying power. It's definitely not something that will ever hit it off with mainstream consumers, or find broad support with the major music labels. It helps that the format has continued hardware support from credible manufacturers such as Oppo, Denon, and Marantz; while some quality-focused music labels also continue to release SACDs.

For those of us even with a modest SACD collection, it's not yet an orphaned format because replacement SACD players are still readily available and I can still buy new releases in the format. But, that's coming from the perspective of someone who's already invested in the format. For a newbie, unless you're already buying a Blu-ray or high end CD player with SACD support, it's probably no longer worth getting into SACD as a standalone pursuit. That is, unless you got a specific title or series that you must have in the SACD format.

Yesterday I was at Fry's Electronics, and they still have a standalone section for SACDs. I saw a couple of CD/SACD copies of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon selling for $15. A remnant from that brief moment when Sony made a bid for SACD's mainstream acceptance -- when they reportedly paid $500k for the 5.1 production work on DSOTM, and dropped the price for SACD changers to around $200.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer View Post
    ...when they reportedly paid $500k for the 5.1 production work on DSOTM
    And eventually figured out that the majority of the buying public couldn't care less.

Just like the "latest" pop releases on sa-cd.net of Elvis Presley and Frank Sinatra.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information