Thread: Oppo DV-970HD

Forum Regular

Oppo DV-970HD

Recently purchased the Oppo DV-970HD DVD player.Can't seem to find any remote codes for this brand in my other manuals.Just asking if anyone has any info on this.I realize this is a relatively new manufacturer but figured there must be a way to operate this unit using other remotes.I went on Oppo's site and all I could come up with were individual codes for each function which meant nothing to me.Don't have a learning remote for this viewing room or I would try that.Can't imagine in this day and age a player wouldn't allow for control by other universal remotes.I'm going to call Oppo directly tomorrow.

On a more positive note I have set up the player and watched my first movie.All I can say is I'm floored by the video quality at this price($150).It's feeding a Panasonic plasma and the images are superb.This is by far the best DVD player I have ever owned and I've had some decent ones.The connection options and format compatabilities are far above entry level and the remote is decent.Audio is supposed to be very respectable too just haven't tried it yet.The tray is somewhat flimsy but if not abused should be OK.

It's less than 2" tall and while the mirror type front tends to make it look cheap,I've noticed a lot of companies going that route now.I still need to put it through the paces but my first impression is at it's price point(or even a level higher) this player may be the giant killer it's claimed to be.
    Last edited by BillyB; 02-25-2007 at 08:53 AM.

Audio Enthusiast
    I purchased one after reading the view in Absolute Sound. I had never heard of OPPO prior to that. For me, Video was secondary and I was on the hunt for an SACD and HDCD player anyways. My options were to get a DAC and another SACD capable player then I read the review in TAS.

I plugged it in this weekend for the first time. On my conventional TV, I found its performance far superior than any other video devices I currently own. Its flexibility is phenomenal. I have a couple of DVDs that I was unable to play on my other DVD players. I was only able to play them on my PC. However, the OPDV970H played them without hesitation. It even played some of my own authored DVDs.

On the audio side, the sound if far better than all of the dedicated CD players I've auditioned. It plays my HDCDs with enhanced resolution and soundstage. My DVD-A discs finally live up to their reputation and now I'm searching for SACDs to try out.

For $149, I could not pass this up. Its far better than anything I've tried under $1000. It literally plays everything in my digital disc library including the PAL formatted imports and TIVO recorded DVDs. That was something I could only previous do with my PC.

Sorry I don't have any info on the remote. Its the only remote in my audio system so its far more functional than anything I've previously owned. I've not yet read the Advanced Setup manual yet. Was there anything in that booklet regarding remote programming?

Exclamation Let's see some Oppo Reviews!!

Guys

Let's see some Oppo Reviews!! >> Find and Review your Oppo player here!!

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by ericl
    Guys

Let's see some Oppo Reviews!! >> Find and Review your Oppo player here!!
    Will do.Just want to use this unit a little more so I can be as thorough as possible.I have a feeling it may be very deserving of the rave reviews I read on-line prior to purchasing it.Blue-ray(or HD DVD) seems like even less of a value to me right now considering this units video performance.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyB
    Will do.Just want to use this unit a little more so I can be as thorough as possible.I have a feeling it may be very deserving of the rave reviews I read on-line prior to purchasing it.Blue-ray(or HD DVD) seems like even less of a value to me right now considering this units video performance.
    I'm really tempted to buy one but with Blu-Ray/HD-DVD coming and my Denon doing a fine job, I can't really justify it. I'm certainly curious though..

Forum Regular

Oppo DV-970HD remote codes

Just wanted to follow up on this matter for anyone using this unit.Oppo's website has a release that you can burn onto a CD that allows the player to work with other manufacturers remotes.It also makes some other improvements.It's a pre-release that's kind of a use at your own risk issue.I'm going to wait until they recommend it but at least there seems to be upgrades going forward.

I'm still loving this unit as it's video performance is superb and it doesn't seem to be all that fussy about the quality of the DVD's.It handles the lesser quality DVD's as well as can possibly be expected.I didn't buy it for audio so I can't honestly say how it performs in that regard.It's supposed to more than hold it's own.Anyway I highly recommend it and not just because it's only $150.If this unit is built to last(only thing we may not know)it's an insane value.

Quote Originally Posted by ericl
    I'm really tempted to buy one but with Blu-Ray/HD-DVD coming and my Denon doing a fine job, I can't really justify it. I'm certainly curious though..
    Me too, before they decide to sell'em for twice as much. But I aint go no TV...

D2JRA

Thread Information