Forum Regular

Which reference player best to play CD's?

Hi everyone,

I own a Pioneer Elite DV-45 universal player as my main source engine for my DVD's and all of my CD collection. I don't have many hi-rez formats in comparison to my CD collection and I listen primarily to 2-channel material. I guess my question would be this....would I benefit sonically by getting a dedicated CD player as oppose to my Pioneer Elite DVD player? I know that the new generation CD players have updated DAC's with higher clock rates, but my Elite player already does 24 bit/192khz with Burr Browns.

Any thoughts or experiences?

Is there something in particular with the sound that you're unhappy with? My guess would be that you'd have to drop probably twice the amount of your Pioneer to see any substantial sonic improvement. Even if you had the money, it'd be better spent on speakers.

Forum Regular
    my own experience was this.I had a cambridge audio 540d dvd player,a unit well known for being a decent cd spinner,hooked up by analog cable,to a cambridge audio 540r reciever.I added an arcam cd73t to the mix and the improvement was dramatic.Mind you it cost twicw what the dvd playerb did,but i felt it was worth it.
    thanks
    bill

Forum Regular
    Paul_pci,

Hmmm...you've got a good point there. I really don't have any complaints on my player since it sounds incredible to me through my NAD int. amp. and I love the convenience of it's all around duties. I should look into getting better speakers when budget permits. Thanks guys.

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by audiomadness
    Hi everyone,

I own a Pioneer Elite DV-45 universal player as my main source engine for my DVD's and all of my CD collection. I don't have many hi-rez formats in comparison to my CD collection and I listen primarily to 2-channel material. I guess my question would be this....would I benefit sonically by getting a dedicated CD player as oppose to my Pioneer Elite DVD player? I know that the new generation CD players have updated DAC's with higher clock rates, but my Elite player already does 24 bit/192khz with Burr Browns.

Any thoughts or experiences?
    Nice player,upgrade something else.
    Look & Listen

Forum Regular
    I'll have to disagree, I think you could do better with a stand alone CDP, and here's why. I too use a DVDP as my source, two of them actually, Sony NS999ES and Sherwood Newcastle SD-860. The Sony also does SACD and is considered to be a top performer in this regard, and the SW is a Multi-funtion player. The Sony SACD and RBCD sounds much better than the Sherwood.

My redbook CD peformance from both of them was mediocre when compared to SACD or DAVDA. I figured this is the way it should be as these formats offer much better resolution. However, I also have a large collection of redbook CD's, but I got the point where I was only playing my SACD/DVDA's because they sounded so much better.

Enter the Arcams AVP-700 pre-processor. I upgraded to this unit from the Outlaw model-950. I put it through the mill to see how it would do. It is an awesome piece to say the least. I played redbook CD's comparing how they sounded via digital input to this unit vice analog input from the DVDP's. The Arcam blew both units away, and if fact it makes the redbook CD's sound just as good as most of my SACD's/DVDA's. Some of the very best one's are still a little better, but it's close.

Anyhow, lesson learned was a good redbook CD's can sound very good with the right equipment. And, DVDP's don't do a very good job with this format, at least mine doesn't.

So I went on a search for a new CDP and ordered a the Naim CD5i which I will have next week. Other top contenders were Arcam CD-192T and Rega Apollo.

I've had this discussion on many other forums and most tell me I'm going to get better sound from the Naim with redbook CD's than what I get from the superior formats played on inferior machines. We'll see.

This is getting a little long, but hope it helps. Don't short change the redbooks.

And how much difference are you going to hear using the digital connection?
    Look & Listen

It's just a hobby
    Quote Originally Posted by shokhead
    Just the question on the top of my lips, you can see the frustrating audio merry go-round kick into action..
    It's a listening test, you do not need to see it to listen to it!

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by shokhead
    Using the digital connection the difference is more than likely going be very small if there is a difference at all. I have read, and do belive a good tranport can make a difference, but I have to admit I've yet to hear a differnce myself.

I couldn't hear the difference between the two DVDP's when using the digital output and the Sony is more that twice as expensive as the Sherwood.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by theaudiohobby
    Just the question on the top of my lips, you can see the frustrating audio merry go-round kick into action..
    Oh how true! Chasing that elusive sound we all have in our head.

Forum Regular
    If you only listen and want to listen to 2 chanel audio then today or tomorrow you will have to think about to get a deecent dedicated 2 chanel cd player, which off course cost you money. But there is no alternative, as because cd player and the speaker plays the most important part of a good system. for future reference pls find below some good once;
    1. Audio Aero reference CD Player
    2. Wadia
    3. DCL
    4. Get a benchmark dac with a cheap cd player.

bappy

So the receiver doesnt have much to do with it after it gets the signal from the cd player or after the speakers get the signal?
    Look & Listen

Quote Originally Posted by bappy
    If you only listen and want to listen to 2 chanel audio then today or tomorrow you will have to think about to get a deecent dedicated 2 chanel cd player, which off course cost you money. But there is no alternative, as because cd player and the speaker plays the most important part of a good system.
    But in fact there is a comparatively cheap alternative: Put the music on your computer, then use a high quality DAC to convert it to analog.

That's what I do, and I get a sound that easily rivals the best CD player you can get for the money, for under a thousand bucks.
    There's an audiophile born every minute. Congratulations; you're right on time.

FREE RADICAL RADIO: Hours of free, radical MP3s!

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Anderson
    But in fact there is a comparatively cheap alternative: Put the music on your computer, then use a high quality DAC to convert it to analog.

That's what I do, and I get a sound that easily rivals the best CD player you can get for the money, for under a thousand bucks.

Sorry about that I think I am in a wrong forum. Enjoy yourself.

bappy

Thread Information