• 04-07-2008, 08:08 PM
    thekid
    Pulled the trigger on SACD player
    Well recent talk here about SACD discs got me looking and I pulled the trigger on E-pay for a Sony SCD-C222ES. Not high end I know but the price was right ($85) and it recently went on Audigon for much more so seems like a deal. Anyone here own one?

Can I use this with my DAC or is it best used as a stand alone maybe playing CD's on the DAC and SACD on the Sony. Can I use this as the transport for the DAC?
  • 04-08-2008, 05:55 AM
    Feanor
    Yes, I'd say
    Quote:

Originally Posted by thekid
    Well recent talk here about SACD discs got me looking and I pulled the trigger on E-pay for a Sony SCD-C222ES. Not high end I know but the price was right ($85) and it recently went on Audigon for much more so seems like a deal. Anyone here own one?

Can I use this with my DAC or is it best used as a stand alone maybe playing CD's on the DAC and SACD on the Sony. Can I use this as the transport for the DAC?

Should be an intro to SACD. Will you use it multi-channel? Try it that way if you can, even if you don't intent to use it that way normally.

Most Sony SCD models had a Toslink optical output that you can connect to your DAC. Chances are you'll prefer the DAC vs. the Sony's analog output for CD listening.
  • 04-08-2008, 01:20 PM
    emaidel
    Quote:

I can only speak with reference to the Marantz SA-8001, but its digital output is works only with the CD layer of a disc, and not the SACD. When playing an SACD, the only outputs that work on the unit are the left and right analog outputs. Apparently, the circuitry in a stand-alone DAC, while optimized for normal CD playback, isn't up to the much higher capabilities of the SACD medium (or, at least, isn't in the opinion of Marantz engineers). One thing for certain, a DAC isn't much help in multi-channel playback, as it was never designed for that application.

While the 8001 is an outstanding CD player as well, most lower cost SACD players do a poor job on standard redbook CD's, so a DAC for that purpose may be worthwhile. You'll just need to use two inputs on your preamp/receiver: one for the DAC when you play CD's, and the other for the analog outputs of your SACD player when you play SACD's.

Hope this didn't confuse you.
  • 04-08-2008, 03:43 PM
    thekid
    Quote:

Originally Posted by emaidel
    Hope this didn't confuse you.

Well E by now you should know I am easily confused......:confused:

I think it was a thread with you and Feanor that got me thinking about SACD so I am blaming you guys for the ensueing dumb questions and posts when this thing shows up .... :) .......... I blame Mr.Peabody for me getting interested in a DAC ......... :)

Anyway my plan is to use this for 2-channel. Based what I have seen I was thinking I would use the DAC for regular CD play and the Sony for SACD. Both the Sony and the DAC have a Toslink if that helps. I wanted to use the Sony as the transport for the DAC if possible rather than having it as a stand alone SACD and another transport. My preamp only has one CD input but does have 2 tape inputs so can I use one of them for the SACD and the CD for the transport/DAC?
  • 04-08-2008, 04:51 PM
    bobsticks
    Hey Guys,

The earlier assertion that only the CD layer can be played via digital connection is correct. It's part of the copyright scheme written into the software.

...as in, you can use a DAC only but you'll lose the SACD layer. Most universals allow you to have both plugged in and can autosense the nature of the source software. I don't know if tis is the case with the Sony, so it's probably worth reading up on.

Sony has never been known to make things too easy.
  • 04-08-2008, 06:13 PM
    thekid
    Bobsticks

Thanks for the info. The unit will come with the owner's manual (thankfully!!) so it looks like I got some reading to do.
  • 04-10-2008, 05:01 PM
    thekid
    Unit arrived today and it is in very good-excellent condition.
    Looks like I can hook a second CD to it so I am thinking I can hook the transport/DAC up to the Sony. Got work to do tonight but hope to test drive it tomorrow.
  • 04-13-2008, 07:21 PM
    thekid
    Well went out and got a couple of SACD discs at the local Planet Music. (Haydn Choral music and for the wife a Andrea Bocelli)

Very early impressions are that it does add more range and depth than a regular CD. Both of these recordings are hybrid and the transport+DAC handles them almost as equally as well. Still too early to tell until I had a chance to hear a few more title. Overall impression is very favorable.
  • 04-18-2008, 01:20 PM
    E-Stat
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bobsticks
    The earlier assertion that only the CD layer can be played via digital connection is correct. It's part of the copyright scheme written into the software....as in, you can use a DAC only but you'll lose the SACD layer.

I'm not sure if I agree with you. Indeed, a SP/DIF digital connection cannot carry DSD data streams - such requires an optical coupling. But certain multi-channel DACs like the superlative units made by Ed Meitner of EMM Labs most certainly do not lose the SACD layer. Telarc and Sony do their SACD mastering with EMM products.

rw
  • 04-18-2008, 05:07 PM
    thekid
    Quote:

Originally Posted by E-Stat
    I'm not sure if I agree with you. Indeed, a SP/DIF digital connection cannot carry DSD data streams - such requires an optical coupling. But certain multi-channel DACs like the superlative units made by Ed Meitner of EMM Labs most certainly do not lose the SACD layer. Telarc and Sony do their SACD mastering with EMM products.

rw

E-Stat

Sorry for a noob question but are you saying I could play some SACD discs in my DAC and retain the SACD layer/sound? I have an MSB Link III DAC if that helps.
  • 04-18-2008, 06:19 PM
    E-Stat
    Quote:

Sorry for a noob question but are you saying I could play some SACD discs in my DAC and retain the SACD layer/sound? I have an MSB Link III DAC if that helps.

No. Yours is a Redbook only DAC. I was referring to what I perceived as the notion that SACD software somehow has some way to prevent using a separate DSD capable DAC / transport.

rw
  • 04-19-2008, 03:53 AM
    thekid
    Got it.

Thanks!