• 12-09-2003, 10:33 AM
    jbangelfish
    Phillips SACD player any good?
    Music Direct is selling new Phillips SACD/DVD mod. #763SA for $119. Cheap enough for me to try one. They claim to have bought all of them that are available. I would be using this for 2 channel audio only so I don't care at all about it's video capabilities. Anyone who knows anything about this, feel free to toss in an opinion, thanks,
    Bill
  • 12-09-2003, 03:32 PM
    Jetsons
    They may not have them all! I've read that folks have picked this player recently for under $100.00. I can't help you on the quality of this player but Philips units certainly seem to have more than their fair share of reliability problems. You can probably find additional info by performing a search at audioasylum.com, hi-rez forum.

For $170.00 shipped plus 30 day return policy, the Pioneer 563A plays all formats, has progressive scan and appears to be a reliable machine. The owner reviews on video and audio performance are quite positive.

Jet
  • 12-10-2003, 09:20 AM
    jbangelfish
    thanks jet
    The Phillips unit has progressive scan too but I don't even know what that is. If it is related to video, I don't care. I'm using for audio only. As for reliability, I'll keep my ears open for any complaints about Phillips, oops, I think it's Philips. Anyway, lot's of expensive equipment use Philips parts inside.
    I'll also look for one of these elsewhere to see if I can find one under $100. Thanks,
    Bill
  • 12-25-2003, 08:44 AM
    Enmei
    jbangelfish,

are you sure the 763SA is progressive? I don't think this unit is progressive.

Also you can actually get it for $100 + s/h at www.bhphotovideo.com

jbangelfish, since you getting this unit. After you have tested it, can you please let me know what you think of it? My girl b'day is coming up in 6 weeks, and I was thinking of getting her a SACd player that is decent for her house.

and almost forget,

Merry X'mas Every One :D
  • 12-26-2003, 10:08 AM
    jbangelfish
    Yes, it has progressive scan
    According to Music Direct catalog. Not sure when I'll pick one up but if soon, I'll let you know what I think. I would trust Philips before some other low buck units.
    Bill