Dustin Broke is hot!!! SpankingVanillaice's Avatar

Philips MMS321/17

I went back with the Philips since that has the most power and volume but I guess the biggest reason I change soo much is since most of them are defective meaning not working right. I do notice again that there is some air leak on the left speaker since I can hear a air coming out when there is alot of bass in the music. I might have to exchange it again since they aren't working right but I think it's a minor thing.
    Dallas's Forums

MORE THAN JUST DINOSAURS!!!

Spanky, this is getting monotonous. We just don't care anymore, get it.
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Dallas a lot of ported speakers can have port noise and that does not mean they are defective. I wonder if you have the bass control turned up too high or are using a loudness button to empahsize bass which will increase port noise. This is a standard Portnoise Complaint (meant to be a humorus literary reference) and can happen with other vented speakers especially when overdriven.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Well these speakers aren't bass reflect type they are sealed type since ther is no bass port so it's not suppose to have any air out but I noticed that one area of the speaker were the metal part is having some air coming out and the other speaker doesn't have that. I think they didn't seal it completly so the air doesn't go out. These speaker are bass pressure drivers so meaning it doesn't have a hole in the back.
    Dallas's Forums

Quote Originally Posted by SpankingVanillaice
    Well these speakers aren't bass reflect type they are sealed type since ther is no bass port so it's not suppose to have any air out but I noticed that one area of the speaker were the metal part is having some air coming out and the other speaker doesn't have that. I think they didn't seal it completly so the air doesn't go out. These speaker are bass pressure drivers so meaning it doesn't have a hole in the back.

meh
    just cheap design...

You can't expect everything from a $50 pair of speakers. Get over it, and don't play too loud...

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Quote Originally Posted by Luvin Da Blues
    Spanky, this is getting monotonous. We just don't care anymore, get it.

I lied. I guess two of the nicest people on this forum do care.

Well somereason I fixed the air leakage problem what I did was use normal elmer's school glue and put it over the crack area were the air was leaking and now it stoped making that air noise that's good. But were I put the glue it made it look like I smeared it off since I used kleen knex to wipe the extra glue off. I used super glue to make sure that the airs won't leak anymore.
    Last edited by SpankingVanillaice; 03-31-2008 at 04:23 PM.
    Dallas's Forums

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar

Why, oh why, would you do that John?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    This is a standard Portnoise Complaint (meant to be a humorus literary reference) and can happen with other vented speakers especially when overdriven.
    Somewhere far, far above Spanky's head the joke soared onward, upward, and over.

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    Defective you say? Huh.

Quote Originally Posted by SpankingVanillaice
    Well somereason I fixed the air leakage problem what I did was use normal elmer's school glue and put it over the crack area were the air was leaking and now it stoped making that air noise that's good. But were I put the glue it made it look like I smeared it off since I used kleen knex to wipe the extra glue off. I used super glue to make sure that the airs won't leak anymore.

Thus far this is clearly, far-and-away, the Post Of The Year for 2008.
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Suspended
    This is too funny. Did you notice he went back and deleted the previous posts where he talked about gluing the same speaker 3 weeks ago?

Should we all chip in and buy this guy a real pair of speakers just so he will stop this farce?

Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi
    This is too funny. Did you notice he went back and deleted the previous posts where he talked about gluing the same speaker 3 weeks ago?

Should we all chip in and buy this guy a real pair of speakers just so he will stop this farce?
    Good plan. I've got a hundred bucks to spare. Could be a great investment.

Quote Originally Posted by audio amateur
    Good plan. I've got a hundred bucks to spare. Could be a great investment.
    I could use that cash. If I start making a bunch of.... um,, did I say start?
    If I stop posting, will you send me the cash?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

No

I would imagine after years of plastic casing and superpolcarbonate-fillerdynamofantaulistique tweeters anyting we could come up with would be a disappointment to the lil feller.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    I would imagine after years of plastic casing and superpolcarbonate-fillerdynamofantaulistique tweeters anyting we could come up with would be a disappointment to the lil feller.
    Wait, a coworker (gamer) just hooked up a Bose Companion® 5 Multimedia Speaker System at work.Gotta say, as far as PC audio goes it didn't sound half bad. Lacking the clarity of the Danes but more than made up with it with mushy boomy Sub and Tinius Maximus sats. I saw em for $399 so if Spanky here insists on listening to MP3s via cheap plastic boxes instead of dropping the same cash on something like PSB - Image B15's.

Anyway, I am now using a Boston Acoustics Sub-satellite speakers that came with a friends old Dell PC. The bommy box thingy has a big hole in it where I felt air coming from. Since it was a Bass Reflect boomy thing, I super glued a mirror in the hole so air wudnt come out and it would reflect better. I do notice much clearer highs but they don't seem to be coming from the boomy thing. Is that what the little plasticy things are for where there is little plastic like impression drivers? I called the manufacterer and he said I should hear sounds out of all three boxes. I really like this new bass reflector designn do you?

By the way why are all my words I type with red dotted underlines? How come when I right click on the words it gives me a list of mis-spelled words?

Damn Bobsticks, I completely missed that mystery disk thing. Hope I was one of the extras .

Damn Bobsticks, I completely missed that mystery disk thing. Hope I was one of the extras .
    Package already sent my fusion-minded brother.

Anyway, I am now using a Boston Acoustics Sub-satellite speakers that came with a friends old Dell PC. The bommy box thingy has a big hole in it where I felt air coming from. Since it was a Bass Reflect boomy thing, I super glued a mirror in the hole so air wudnt come out and it would reflect better. I do notice much clearer highs but they don't seem to be coming from the boomy thing. Is that what the little plasticy things are for where there is little plastic like impression drivers? I called the manufacterer and he said I should hear sounds out of all three boxes. I really like this new bass reflector designn do you?
    Dis site shur iz da wey ta maik smarts wid da stereo tings. Bri, you mused feal like a genieus cumin up wid dat mirror ting.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Luvin Da Blues
    Dis site shur iz da wey ta maik smarts wid da stereo tings. Bri, you mused feal like a genieus cumin up wid dat mirror ting.
    I posted for help on the Dallas Music Forums but got no replies. Does anyone post there except for Mr Pinky?

I' am using these Philips speakers again since as I said the top speakers I think are the Bose and these Philips. One thing I like about Philps is the sound is very clean and clear without distortion also they go really loud since they are 80 watts of power thay also have the high end neo magnets that are the best types of magents for any speakers or headphones. What I like about the Bose is that it has auto tonal control so depending how loud you have the volume it automaticly sets the tones to sound it's best. Also Bose makes you feel like you have other speakers around you so that's cool too. But I did notice that the sound isn't as clean as the Philps so both speakers has pros and cons. I do know forsure that Bose has alot of bass though for it's size.
    Dallas's Forums

But I do have to say that the Philips speakers sound really close to my JBL S26 I use to own but just it doesn't have as much bass as them since the JBL had a 6in woofer. But the mids and highs are really close to exactly the same but pretty close so these must be really built like high end speakers but just very compact compaired to home stereo speakers. But I mean 80 watts is alot of power for such a small speaker without a sub. So they play very clean and precise even at high volumes. Also these speakers sorta reminds me of the JBL Control 1 Xtreme I use to own since those were sorta compact speakers and had smaller drivers so the bass is close to it. The JBL Control 1 Xtreme was a little harsh on the ears on the highs I rememeber. But these Philips speakers have the highs like a pure titanium dome tweeters like my JBL S26 had so that's really great since it sounds really natural sound. I sometimes feel that it might a little have the sound of the titanium-laminate dome tweeter sound but these Philips speakers sound more like the JBL Studio Series since all of them have that pure titanium dome tweeters. Anyways to get to the point these makes me remember the times I had those great JBL speakers since the sound is really close to them. I think I will keep these and not change anymore speakers unless they stop working of cource but there is of cource 1 year warrenty for these speakers. So far they are working great without any problem so hope it keeps up the good work.
    Last edited by SpankingVanillaice; 06-14-2008 at 07:03 PM.
    Dallas's Forums

Thread Information