Forum Regular

Question Outboard DAC or stick with my internal upsampling version?

I have a Marantz DV6400, which is a "universal" player. It upsamples red book CDs before converting the signal, and it's definitely an improvement over my old player. What I'm wondering is if any of you out there have any thoughts or experience with using an external non-upsampling DAC with an upsampling player. I'm not concerned about technical compatibility, as I know the DV6400 outputs a 16/44.1 signal through it's digital outs. What I'm wondering about is sound. I have a few SACDs and DVD-As, but the vast majority of my digital catalogue is still CD. Basically, does anyone have any thoughts on whether a lower-quality upsampling DAC is better than a higher-quality non-upsampler?

I've been looking around on the used market lately and have seen some highly rated but slightly out-of-date DACs for amazingly low prices. I know these would only convert my CDs and not my other discs (unless it supports 24/96 DVD signals, which a few do). I'm very happy with the sounds I get from all my non-red book discs, so I'm not concerned with the fact that it wouldn't handle those signals. Let me know your thoughts.

Mike

Hi.
    I bought the DV6400 two months ago, and I am very happy with it. I will buy an upsampling DAC (MF 3.24) very soon. I do not think it's a good idea to get a non-upsampling external DAC. Your Marantz plays Red Book CDs better the way it is. My opinion, anyway.
    Enjoy the music.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike That Likes Music
    I have a Marantz DV6400, which is a "universal" player. It upsamples red book CDs before converting the signal, and it's definitely an improvement over my old player. What I'm wondering is if any of you out there have any thoughts or experience with using an external non-upsampling DAC with an upsampling player. I'm not concerned about technical compatibility, as I know the DV6400 outputs a 16/44.1 signal through it's digital outs. What I'm wondering about is sound. I have a few SACDs and DVD-As, but the vast majority of my digital catalogue is still CD. Basically, does anyone have any thoughts on whether a lower-quality upsampling DAC is better than a higher-quality non-upsampler?

I've been looking around on the used market lately and have seen some highly rated but slightly out-of-date DACs for amazingly low prices. I know these would only convert my CDs and not my other discs (unless it supports 24/96 DVD signals, which a few do). I'm very happy with the sounds I get from all my non-red book discs, so I'm not concerned with the fact that it wouldn't handle those signals. Let me know your thoughts.

Mike
    Well, your old CD player oversample the CD, so there is no difference to it. Actually, it probably oversample 8X which is higher than 96kHz. That has been standard for a long time, to oversample.

Outboard DAC? Waste of good money. You can actually make it worse. Forget it.
    mtrycrafts

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by mtrycraft
    Well, your old CD player oversample the CD, so there is no difference to it. Actually, it probably oversample 8X which is higher than 96kHz.
    If upsampling and oversampling work differently, then how can there be no difference? I know oversampling has been around since pretty much the stone age of CD players, but upsampling is fairly new. I know what upsampling is, technically, but I never bothered to find out the techy explanation behind oversampling. Can you help me out?
    Thanks,
    Mike

Here's an article about the MF DAC and upsampling versus oversampling.

http://www.stereophile.com/digitalso...561/index.html

PS: If you getr a chance, listen to the MF 324 DAC. It is amazing.

Forum Regular
    If upsampling and oversampling work differently, then how can there be no difference? I know oversampling has been around since pretty much the stone age of CD players, but upsampling is fairly new. I know what upsampling is, technically, but I never bothered to find out the techy explanation behind oversampling. Can you help me out?
    Thanks,
    Mike

Yes, upsampling is new to attract new customers and long and be hold, it is upsampled only to 96k. To make you think it is equivalent to the 96kHz sampling rate. It isn't. It cannot create information not sampled by the 44.1 rate.

Read this:

http://www.thetadigital.com/upsampling.htm

While they do sell a very expensive DAC that bias shows. However, their technical infor is correct.
    mtrycrafts

Forum Regular
    Thanks guys.
    Now I'm off for a 2,000 mile drive. Wish me luck!
    Mike

Forum Regular
    Thanks guys.
    Now I'm off for a 2,000 mile drive. Wish me luck!
    Mike

Just get back safely
    mtrycrafts

Thread Information