Thread: cd skipping

Forum Regular

cd skipping

I just got a cd off of ebay, and have noticed that there is one spot on it that it skips on my cambridge 640 c, but it doesn't on my dvd player and didn't when I loaded it on my itunes. Is there a reason for this, and also, is there anything to do about the skipping? Looking at the cd, it looks like there is a small spot where a layer of the disc is missing. Thanks for any tips.

2 solutions come to mind for CD skipping, but first the players...

I have noticed that when I play CD's or SACD's with my Denon 2910 it's a bit more sensitive than my Samsung DVD player, but sounds far superior. My guess is that better players to some degree are going to be a bit more sensitive because it is picking up more information from the source, including mistakes on the CD or scratches. I am not sure that this is the case with superb high-end players or not.

For CD skipping I would suggest two things. The first would be a solution that is pretty popular using a type of gel that hardens and then is removed with a felt cloth and fills in the scratches and repolishes the surface area. I have had success using this with MOST scratches. The other item is a type of sleeve that I have seen where you place it over the disc and use it while you are playing the disc. It is suppose to enhance the surface area of the disc and prevent skipping over scratched areas to certain degrees. So maybe try one or both and see what happens. Good night and good luck.

I have a cheap dvd player $40 bucks and a good one $500 bucks. The cheap one works fine but tends to skip like yours on some cd's whereas it won't on the good one.
    The reasons for this is the good one probably has better laser and pickup lasers and less jitter. But a better explaination I think is in error correction. If I remember correct every disc has error correction codes. When a player encounters a error in a disc it searches for the error codes to fill in the blanks. If it can't resolve the error you get a skip. So some cd/dvd players have better alogrithyms than others in error correction.
    Just my .02 cents

Forum Regular
    Thanks for the tips so far, as for the first reply, do you know a store or site to find these products? In regards to the second, it is my better quality cd player that is skipping, and the cheap dvd player that isn't, so that is why I was confused on that difference in performance between the two players. I would defintely be less frustrated if the cheap player was the one screwing up.

Hmmm, these products could probably be found at anyplace like Best Buy, Circuit City or places that sell CD's, at least they are near me. I am sure online would be a good resource too, check out their online sites.

AR Regular

Try copying

the offending disk onto a CDR on your computer, and then see if the copy skips. I have saved one disk that refused to play at all, but the copy worked perfectly. If it doesn't, its a cheap experiment.

Let us know what happens if you do try this experiment.

I had a Panasonic Rebel cd player in my taxi a few years back. Paid about $450 for it. It would play cds without skipping that would always skip on my home unit. I could even drive over bumpy railway crossings at a good speed and it wouldn't skip. It used a Halogram pickup and I think had a time delay. So its reading the disk ahead of what you are hearing and correcting mistakes.
    Anyways as was mentioned you can sometime copy a disc to computer hard drive without the glitches and make a good copy. Computer cd drives are pretty good at reading discs. I did this with the Led Zepplin cd that had a thousand glitches on the song Achilles Last Stand. And was able to restore this song onto a cd-r.

Forum Regular
    I got the disc to load on Itunes no problem, but I know the stock sampling rate is lower than what the disc itself is mastered at. Does anyone with Itunes experience know if you can copy with it without degrading the sampling rate? Thanks for all tips.

Santa Claus
    Quote Originally Posted by funnyhat
    I got the disc to load on Itunes no problem, but I know the stock sampling rate is lower than what the disc itself is mastered at. Does anyone with Itunes experience know if you can copy with it without degrading the sampling rate? Thanks for all tips.
    If all your other CD's work with the CA 640c I simply would'nt use that CD.It could be that the CA is more sensitive to read disc's.Also my CA 640c skips some times but a simply cleaning of the CD solves the problem.Hope this helps.

Thread Information