New to this subject NOT this forum...

Hi folks. I just read an article/review in Computer Power Users Magazine of HT computers. I was shocked in that I, as the office HT/Tech/HiFi guru, knew next to nothing about this subject. I've built computers and I've installed many a HT and Stereo system, but this hybrid confuses me. What do you get out of it?

Da Ready to Learn Worfster

This seems like a lonely thread. Thought I'd stop in and say hi.

As to your question: I D-O N-O-T K-N-O-W.

Thanks for your patients.

I do think that Ericl has some experience with this though.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

Being the...

Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    Hi folks. I just read an article/review in Computer Power Users Magazine of HT computers. I was shocked in that I, as the office HT/Tech/HiFi guru, knew next to nothing about this subject. I've built computers and I've installed many a HT and Stereo system, but this hybrid confuses me. What do you get out of it?

Da Ready to Learn Worfster
    ...Luddite that I am, sorta looks likem basically a digital storage medium with the capability to do TV/off-air recording via your PC...I'm gonna' guess you still need the normal hardware of outboard amps and such...so hybrid is a good description...

I did a Google and found some info on wikipedia (yeah, I know) but it looks to have some links that may shed some light on the subject...

jimHJJ(...as another train to nowhere goes racing by...)
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

Home theater computers generally do things almost as good as the gear the can replace for twice as much money...

They sell very expensive home theater computer cases with small LCD screens on them, special HT software for easier navigation, fanless heatsinks, etc... for people that want to go all the way with it...

I have a desktop made out of my spare parts hooked up to my home theater, controlled by a long range mini keyboard...

Have a TV tuner card and lots of hard drive space on my other computer. Run SAGEtv on both computers (TIVO-like software). Can record from cable or watch video files using the HT computer via wirelessG. It's proven to be an easy and reliable way to record things I don't want to miss. The Haupauge TV card does hardware encoding and records perfectly, no matter what else I do on the computer while it's recording. Could put the tuner card in the HT computer, but I leave this one on all the time and not the other so...

You can store and play music, digital video, pics, etc... on a HT computer... Access files from other computers via wireless... Listen to internet radio... Access a wide variety of music instantly using a subscribtion internet service.... or file sharing...

You could play CDs / DVDs on it... Transfer vinyl, tape or video tape to digital... Burn disks...

To me... It doesn't seem worth it to go all the way... Picture quality from a good video card (expensive) is decent... Still use my DVD player to play DVDs though. Sound quality can be very good for playing audio with the right internal or external sound card... Although, not selling my turntable or CD player just yet...

Basically, you get the the benefits of hard drive storage and lots of versatility in one box... but you give up a little quality compared to using separate source components...

I wish the quality was as good as from traditional source components... Would never have to replace another broken CD or DVD player again.
    Last edited by royphil345; 04-19-2007 at 11:18 AM.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    I think these are great options for the small apartment/dorm room/bedroom HT nerd who can't have it all. Most I've seen and heard dont' even compete with the most basic HTIB stuff you can buy at BestBuy though in terms of performance, though there is an attractive convenience factor of having 1 box support a variety of digital formats. If all your music is in the digital realm, and you load a ton of movies or bit torrent everything, I guess it's a very convenient alternative.

I think there's a lot more potential here. I could see my STB/PVR, DVD player, CD player all being replaced by a media box someday. For now, I'm not interested. Just doesn't meet my needs.

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    I have a friend who's moving in that direction, as he prefers video to just listening to music. Basically, you (a) make the computer as quiet as you can; (b) load it up with quality hard drives, memory, CPU, &c. (although if dedicated, even a $250 computer these days is adequate); (c) make sure the soundcard and videocard are top-notch, and you're done. Really, this "HT" thing in front of the computer isn't anything special, it's just another way of marketing computers, like saying a computer is a "gaming" computer.

But then again, I have very little experience with the matter. You may want to read more articles.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Thanks folks...

I appreciate all the information. You've helped me out of the fog once more. Mucho Gracias...

Da Worfster

Dusty said it pretty much, the hardware is the same (CPU.Mem, Video cards, sound cards...etc) its the software that makes the difference.
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

That makes me feel great.

I think it's great that I had a question and almost every member of "The Old Guard" was johnny on the spot with the information. Thanks folks. Much love.

Da Worfster

Thread Information