Thread: NAD 502 display

AR Newbie Registered Member

NAD 502 display

I recently took my audio equipment from storage and found that the display on the NAD 502 CD player is not lighting up. The equipment was safely stored and the is no physical damage to the unit, just can't read the display. Unfortunately I am not technically sound and was wondering what to do to fix it. I've heard that the display has been an issue for NAD players. Any help wpuld be appreciated.

PDN
    Forum Regular
    KidBoston

That's a tough one. I've owned numerous NAD CD players over the years and still have two in use (NAD C541 & NAD 522). Haven't had any display problems but skipping can be annoying at times. They' don't like CD-R's and not perfectly clean CD's. Anyway, could you have stored the player either in too cold or hot an environment? Could it have been dropped or water leaked into the box? The display is a vacuum fluorescent type and if it cracks, it would lose its seal. Perhaps the display can be replaced by an authorized NAD service dealer. Not all dealers are authorized to service them so check the NAD website or call them. Hope this helps. Sorry about the display.

I would contact NAD if you can or a NAD authorized dealer, perhaps the place where you bought it?? Anyway, chances are if you try and toy around with it yourself you will either A. make it worse or B. void any type of service that NAD might offer to get it back to working.

On your model of player there is a light bulb behind the display that has gone out. Should be an easy fix at a local service center. This was a common problem in that model of player.

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Thanks for the replies. I don't think anything happened when in storage but it was stored for several years. Peruvian Skies, I always worry about option A whenever I try to open things up myself. I will likely contact an authorized NAD service center. Hopefully its just the bulb. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by KidBoston
    Thanks for the replies. I don't think anything happened when in storage but it was stored for several years. Peruvian Skies, I always worry about option A whenever I try to open things up myself. I will likely contact an authorized NAD service center. Hopefully its just the bulb. Thanks again.
    Have you tried using the player despite the display not working? Are you able to tell if it fires up and if it can play? I agree that the bulb should be an easy fix for someone that knows what they are doing, just make sure it gets into their hands.

Quote Originally Posted by anamorphic96
    On your model of player there is a light bulb behind the display that has gone out. Should be an easy fix at a local service center. This was a common problem in that model of player.
    If I am not mistaken I think that was one of the last models to use the bulb before Liquid Crystal Display....right???

Thread Information