Bryston CD player

Hello again AudioReview!

This week, our music source at TARA Labs was in the form of a Bryston BCD-1. While fairly entry-level, this CD player definitely surpassed my expectations. The music was clean and transparent, with focused and engaging dynamics. However, I was a bit confused when I realized it did not support SACD format. A quick search later I found that: though Bryston experimented with SACD playback, they soon discovered that it did not operate on the same sampling frequency as most CDs. Ultimately, Bryston could not match the quality of a CD-dedicated system. However, the quality of the CD playback is excellent. I respect Bryston for not sacrificing quality for features. Anyone out there using Bryston products?
    Disclaimer: I am an employee of TARA Labs. I am not here to promote TARA Labs products.

Suspended
    Don't own any but they have always interested me. If you have any real questions, you can talk to James Tanner from Bryston over at the Shark.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi View Post
    Don't own any but they have always interested me. If you have any real questions, you can talk to James Tanner from Bryston over at the Shark.
    Thanks, I just posted this in the Audio Shark forums as well.
    Disclaimer: I am an employee of TARA Labs. I am not here to promote TARA Labs products.

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody@TARA View Post
    Hello again AudioReview!

This week, our music source at TARA Labs was in the form of a Bryston BCD-1. While fairly entry-level, this CD player definitely surpassed my expectations. The music was clean and transparent, with focused and engaging dynamics. However, I was a bit confused when I realized it did not support SACD format. A quick search later I found that: though Bryston experimented with SACD playback, they soon discovered that it did not operate on the same sampling frequency as most CDs. Ultimately, Bryston could not match the quality of a CD-dedicated system. However, the quality of the CD playback is excellent. I respect Bryston for not sacrificing quality for features. Anyone out there using Bryston products?
    I don't understand why it would be confusing that a dedicated CD player doesn't play SACD. SACD is a different format, a different color laser, different encoding, encodes multi-channel, has serious copy protection...and, most importantly can only be read by a licensed SACD device.

Its not dissimilar from expecting an 8-track player to play cassettes (not that anybody under 30 would remember these formats). I really doubt that Bryston would 'discover' that SACD were different from CD. Just saying. I'm sure its a very nice CD player though.
    TCA ATT GGA

Suspended
    I had a Bryston 3Bst at one point. Loved the build, except for the speaker terminals were a bear for using spades. The sound was balanced, powerful and neutral, not the amp if you are into a more romantic presentation. Seems like Jack, or, someone here has a Bryston DAC.

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    Yes I have the BDA-1 which sort of sounds like old hat as the BDA-3 is soon to hit the market, but with the addition of the Bryston BUC-1, I have what essentially is a BDA-2. It plays all my Hi-Rez files up to 192/24 and is sort of the brains of my rig right now. It's funny as I just turn on my amp, preamp and cd player, but my DAC takes a few more steps to get it into the chain. When I spent $2000 for the Bryston, I thought "am I nuts" but it's made me want to bring the rest of my gear up to the BDA-1's standards, which is a good thing.
    2 Channel System
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Pro-ject SE II (Phono Box)
    Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )
    Sennheiser HD-600 (Headphones)
    Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 (Headphone Amp) _

HT System